Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

ORIGINAL: tommytorino

Did some covering today. Not my best work, but I really don't like covering.

Wings next.

Tommy D

-------------

What's that in the nose? A pencil sharpener? 8>)

It looks fine.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
MostlyKaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Tower Kaos ARF, running a .46AX. Runs and flys great. I want to experiment by putting a Saito Golden Knight engine in it. I am thinking an FA-62a would fit and perform well. The Saito weighs 15 oz, while the OS weighs 12oz.

What do you think?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Ironhands

I have a Tower Kaos ARF, running a .46AX. Runs and flys great. I want to experiment by putting a Saito Golden Knight engine in it. I am thinking an FA-62a would fit and perform well. The Saito weighs 15 oz, while the OS weighs 12oz.

What do you think?

-

I'm sure it will fly the Kaos, but don't expect it to fly as powerfully as it did with the OS .46AX two-stroke. Now this assumes that you were flying the two-stroke at mostly full throttle. If you were throttling back and cruising around, you may not notice a serious/significant difference in power between the two engines. Move your battery to behind the servos, if your model comes out nose heavy, which it probably will with the four-stroke engine.

I have several Tower Kaos ARFs NIB and I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you with one of them, but I will use a Saito .82 instead of the .62. You might want to replace the stock fuel tank with a smaller unit for the Saito .62 (6 oz.). Why? Because four-strokes vibrate a bit more than most two-strokes. With the fuel tank neck passing through the firewall, the extra vibration of a four-stroke might lead to fuel foaming and lots of in flight grief (deadsticking, etc.). With the four-stroke requiring less fuel, you can get away using a smaller fuel tank that is entirely encapsulated in soft, uncompressed foam. The latter will prevent fuel foaming and you from ruining a really nice engine. You might want to plug the hole in the firewall to allow just the fuel lines to pass, but to keep out as much fuel goop as possible.

I'm thinking of building a battery box behind the rear wing saddle bulkhead, as I usually do when using a heavier than stock engine in a model. This permits me to rebalance the model without having to add any weight by redistributing the existing weight of model components. The battery box has its own removable door for installing the battery. Leave enough room in there to run a couple of strips of foam tape on the bagged flight battery (you do use a plastic bag on your battery to prevent fuel creep, don't you?).

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

great looking planes.brings back fond flying memories.I am in florida for the moment and have flown electrics most of the winter but when I get home theres a rebuilt kaos waiting to bore new holes in the sky.I PLAN TO USE EITHER A OS 61 OR MAGNUM 61 ..I love the pics gave me some covering ideas.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Capt. Bill

I am still flying a 25 year old Bridi Super Kaos 40 with an OS 46 FX. Even then I don't run full throttle all the time. I have an OS 46AX but haven't tried it on it yet. Looking at pictures at one time it had a Como 50 on it but that was so long ago I don't remember how it did. Of course my first Kaos 40 had a K&B 40 on and that seemed like plenty of engine.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
NM2K

My first Super Kaos .40 (Bridi kit) was powered by a K&B .40 too. I then bought the then new schneurle ported Super Tigre .40S, but that turned out to be less powerful than the K&B .40, believe it or not, so I went back to the K&B .40. The ST .40S was a good engine, but it was a disappointment power wise. It ended up in a helicopter and was sold after powering my Phaeton biplane for a year or two. I didn't miss it at all.

Today's Tower Kaos ARFs are sized in between the original Kaos 60 and the Kaos 40. I suspect that it would fly well with a .40 or a .60. You'd have to widen the stock engine mount a bit to use the Rossi .53, OS .55AX or Enya .61CX (built in the .40CX crankcase and actually a .58), but they should brighten up the performance a bit for this slightly larger version of the Kaos .40 (note, not Super Kaos).

My problem is that I have more engines available than I truly need and it is creating a problem for me when it comes to deciding which one to use. Fortunately, this type of engine mount just clamps the engine in place, so I guess I can try all of them.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
MostlyKaos

Ed, did you cut into the bottom of the fuselage to install your battery box?

did you cut into the tank area to fully pad your fuel tank?

Fuel creep? Is that the stuff that enters the tank area through the hole in the firewall? or the exhaust that creeps past the wing root into the servo bay?

No I have not used a plastic bag for my battery.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:40 AM
NM2K

I haven't made the battery box in this Tower Kaos because I'm sticking with two-strokes that fit in the stock mount as it is. However, I have three more NIB Tower Kaos ARFs, so I'm sure that I'll get to doing the battery box and tank/firewall mods later when I install the Saito .82 four-stroke engine in one of the other models.

Yes, I'll seal up the hole in the firewall to keep out the carb spit and random exhaust/crankcase nose area leakage/swirlings when I drop to the smaller sized fuel tank when using the four-stroke engine.

The fuel creep at the wing saddle can be taken care of by laying some Saran Wrap over the top of the wing and taping it in place. Then apply a bead of silicone rubber glue to the inverted fuselage's wing mating surfaces. Then assemble the wing to the fuselage and bolt it down normally. This squeezes out the excess silicone glue and seals the gap between the wing and fuselage sides. Let sit for a day or two, then remove the wing and trim the silicone to shape. Voila! (Wah-Lah!). A sealed and cushioned wing saddle junction. No fuel creep there.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 AM
MostlyKaos

ED, Thanks for the wing saddle advice.

Question, Do you put your battery in a plastic bag and wrap a zip tie around the wires and bag?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 AM
MostlyKaos

Do all of you Kaos flyers balance your Kaos inverted?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
NM2K

ED, Thanks for the wing saddle advice.

Question, Do you put your battery in a plastic bag and wrap a zip tie around the wires and bag?

-

Yes, it is a do as I do thing with me.

Although, I don't use a zip tie to keep it sealed. I use tape.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 AM
NM2K

Do all of you Kaos flyers balance your Kaos inverted?

I just get the Kaos to balance on the main spar and then go from there. Balancing the model inverted would probably be more accurate and easier to do, but I just pop my fingers under the wings and make a quick check. That's enough to tell if it is going to be safe to fly. After you get flying, then you start moving the balance point around until it flies the way you like.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Marian

Hi everybody.

My story started about two years ago when I entered this forum by chance. I was very curious what "pattern planes" could be.

I ret a lot about them and finally I decide to build my own Kaos. I changed a little bit the fuselage (mainly the tail part), but as there is no SPA in Spain, it is not a big deal.

I was strongly influenced by Rainedave´s UFO thread.
Thand you Dave. Your help was very important for my introduction to classic pattern planes.

When the fuselage was covered by oracover, I decided to follow Dave and cover the wing with Koverall. Suddenly my workshop smelt to dope equally as twenty years ago, when I was making free flying gliders.
Then I decided to experiment with HVLP gun. (the desing of upper side is borrowed from Dave´s Ufo, and of bottom from another gentleman on this forum).

I have finished the plane last Christmas, but due to problems with our club´s flying field I could not make the first fly until this weekend.

What to say about the first experience?
I like it much more than fun fly plane that I had been flying before. Everything is so smooth ... and landing is almost so slow as with a 3D plane...

Anyway, as problems with our runway and not fully solved, I have already started to build .15 Peppermint Pattie without landing gear. The wing (all balsa) is almost finished and I hope I'll have the plane ready by the end of June.

Regards,

Marian

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81294.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	956409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29410.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	956410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69850.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	956411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86436.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	956412  
Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent job Marian! I really like the way you installed the wing servos. Very clean. And, of course, I like the color scheme.

Keep us posted on the PP.

David
Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
martinoto

Marian, neat construction. congratulations.. I specially liked the aileron servos cover.

By the way, I noticed some sort of strut or cable from the main landig gear to the fuse... what is this?

Thanks and regards,
Martin
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Marian

No Martin, there is nothing special. Just landing gear wire.
Thank you for your complimentes.

Marian
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
ChiefK

No longer have the Sterling Lancer plans, but I can share a photo of the one I had "back in the day"......

Greg

Name:	Xv64890.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	968674  
Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
EpoweredRC

Lots of great looking planes in this thread. Well here is mY utter kaos it was built in the early 190's by a fellow club member, he only flew it a hand full of times and it was given to me this year just a few weeks ago. it has a Super tigre 61 on it. it weigh 6 pounds one quarter ounces.
the bottom on one side was cheackered and my gf finished it out and added it to the tail.

it flys nice, I just tryed to get the CG better on it today and hope I will get to find out if it helped on saturday or sunday.

I hope one day I can redo it and fix a few things I do not like and re cover it the way I like.

The one pic also has my quickie 500 in it, the kaos looks huge next to it.

Name:	Vs55851.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	983412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42172.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	983413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43089.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	983414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42898.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	983415  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
beefcake78

Man I lucked out at a swapfest today and got and Original BRIDI KAOS kit!
The guy started framing the wings & fuse and left it. No hangar rash at all, I can't wait to get her on the bench & finish her up... Original plans Plus a set of foam wing cores... WOOO HOOOO!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
stuntflyr

t
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: LS171Malibu

Thomas, I just finished an Original Kaos. I fly at the FW Thunderbird's club, and am puting together a "SPA" pattern contest late March. You should build that bird and come fly with us!

The workmanship, detail and general "look"of this model is exemplary!
Chris...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Kaos

I built this Killer Chaos about 2 years ago to replace my crunched Super Kaos. I installed a new Super Tigre G.75 with tuned muffler, big-bore Perry carburetor and Perry pump. I grafted the pump into the engine back plate to save space. The engine swings a 12x8 with authority, and sounds neat to boot! I built it as a tail dragger and although I had second thoughts during construction, the tail wheel configuration has proven to be real easy to handle on the runway. Almost forgot to mention that I made the inboard areas of the ailerons into flaps, which seems to slow the landing speeds a bit.

-kaos

Name:	Ki18876.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	988428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50066.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	988429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17067.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	988430  
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
toro_0397

i am planing to build a killer kaos...but i am not a great builder i have built just a few profiles and a delta wing. i am concerned if it is a very dificult build?
after flying profile for a long time i discovered that i prefer speed so i wounder which engine will be good to pull the airframe...keeep in mind that i want to fly it very very fast....
thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Kaos

The Killer Chaos (BlueJay kit) is a good performing pattern airplane. It will do large maneuvers at a pretty good clip without giving up much speed during the vertical portions of the maneuver. However, it is not a racer either. The wing airfoil is pretty thick. The plans called for an engine in the 60-size range, but I selected the G.75 and performance enhancing carburetor and tuned muffler for a little extra speed and pulling power in the vertical. I don't know how fast it goes, but compared to other 60-size sport pattern aircraft I see at our RC field, my Chaos is probably one of the fastest, if not the fastest.

As to building it, I would consider this kit as medium building skills/experience. It's not that complicated, although the plans sometimes leave little details to your ingenuity and imagination. The important thing of course, is to build it as straight as possible, so you will need a real flat building surface. One must take great care when joining the completed wing halves to make sure they are in perfect alignment. Same is true when fitting the wing to the wing saddle and gluing on the tail feathers. I spent quite a bit of time carefully matching the wing saddle on the fuselage to the wing to keep it perpendicular and square to the fuselage. Same same for the tail pieces. This is not a kit that can be rushed. I think the most challenging part of the kit (other than careful alignment/fit of wing and tail surfaces) is the proper shaping of the nose ahead of the firewall. It is first built up with large balsa blocks and then shaped with X-acto knives, razor saws and then coarse/medium/fine sandpaper, all the while getting the nose ring to match the position and size of your nice shiny aluminum spinner

Take care and have fun!

-kaos
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Kaos

Here's some photos I took during construction that might help you decide if the kit is for you:

Name:	Fd92733.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	988527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98732.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	988528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61179.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	988529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60198.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	988530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20858.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	988531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar11364.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	988532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs27661.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	988533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc98391.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	988534  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml87948.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	988535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cp73038.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	988536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp70652.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	988537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sc22665.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	988538  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.