Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9/Carden Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Adrenalin2m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9/Carden Yak 54

How wide is the cowl for installing a twin?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Adrenalin2m

How wide is the cowl for installing a twin?
Hi, the cowl is 10-3/4" 3" back from the face of the cowl.
I,m thinking that a Roto 70 twin would be a perfect fit.
The more I,m working on the plane and looking at the craftsmanship of the assembled pieces the more I,m really starting to appreciate the work thats gone into this plane.
Its definetely a uniquely built ARF. The weights are coming in very competitively as well.

Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Adrenalin2m

Sweeeeeet, Ya I just can't seem to be able to sell that engine so I guess once I get back to work I'll have to buy a plane for it.

Thanks Dave.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Adrenalin2m

ORIGINAL: MaxxGS

I got the chance to open a new box on one of these at my local hobby shop.

-The packaging is fantastic they did a really good job making sure the plane wouldn't get damaged in shipping. A+
-The cowl on this Yak-54 is made so much better then the cowl on the SU-26. Much thicker and robust. I have a SU-26 so I can tell the cowl is much better quality.
-The paint on the cowl matched good on the one I opened and l didn't see anything wrong.
-The wings and elevators are foam core and the bottom of the fuse is foam also.
-The wheels are not the best quality in my opinion seeing how they are they are foam. They are firm but I think they will fall apart like the ones on my SU-26 are doing.

Overall I think the plane is really good and should be a excellent flyer but I have not decided if I'm going to purchase one yet.

Hi, how wide is the cowl on the SU-26? What is your over all opinion of the SU-26. I have a twin looking for a home and I'm deciding on either getting the Yak-54 or the SU-26 to put it in some time down the road.

Thanks Ed.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

All,
I was able to maiden, shift the CG, trim and begin the subtle dialing of low rate throws and expo for IMAC and the very subtle mixing for KE and downline flight. My DA 50 is just broken in and dialed so no drama there at all.

Maiden;
At the recomended low rates and expo settings the plane required 4 clicks of up elevator and 2 clicks of right aileron trim for hands off 1/2 throttle straight and level flight. When pulling a 45 upline and roling over, I found the plane required too much down elevator pressure for my prefferance to maintain the 45 and fell off rapidly with hands off. Inverted flight exhibited the same feel. As I said in an earlier post my CG was 0.25" forward of the recomended and fine for a maiden flight. This plane looks and presents big in the air and flies very light like a much larger plane. Uplines were super straight and stable. Rolls were very axiel in any orientation. Downlines wanted to pull to the canopy slightly after the elevator trim for level flight. Landed after 5 minutes to check everything out. This plane really flies awesome at very slow speeds. She landed like a feather and the rollout was very short. I found the cowl was detaching due to the bolts coming loose. Nothing was lost but bolts and brackets would have been gone in another minute or so. The reattachment and adjustmet was easy and locktite was used where the brackets attach with a small cliping of fuel hose added to the four cowl bolts through the brackets. I moved my Rx battery back to the rX / Rudder servo plate for the next flight after thoroughly going over all of the fasteners for linkages.

Trim and mix notes and first full flight;
Up elevator trim was reduced by two for straight and level flight at 1/2 throttle with the new CG right on the recomended point. 45 upline with a roll to invert took what I am more used to to maintain 45 and it fell to the canopy in a nice even manor just the way I like it. I really wanted to feel the plane out on the first full flight so I ran through the 2006 sportsman and 2008 basic routines a number of times and tried KE flight in each direction. Both KE dirrections needed a slight aileron pressure in the same dirrection as the rudder and even less up elevator to maintain a straight line at 3/4 throttle on low rates. Downline still required some down elevator pressure to maintain a straight line and decorations could be added easily due to the nice slow speed compared to what I am used too from a 50cc plane. Humpties, Sharks Tooth, big loops, Immelmans and 1/2 cubans were drawn nice and straight when properly entered. This plane tracks very straight and predictable everywhere. Stall turns were crisp and with a little touch of rudder at the appropriate time the stall spins entered with no perception of a forceed manuver. Without the rudder the spins were difficult to enter as the plane will just float. Snap rolls are very nice. I found the rates a bit high and/or the expo a bit less than I need for super smooth corrections in IMAC. That is due to my own stick rust and not any fault with the plane.

Mix evaluation second full flight;
Adding the KE mixes and downline elevator throttle off mix, I found that I had gone a touch farther than I wanted on all of them. I also knocked the low rate down 10% across the board and added 5% expo across the board. I flew it that way for 10 minutes in IMAC Mode just to get a better feel for what the plane wanted from me and from mixes in low rate. I think the rudder needs to get the rate back and maybe have more expo so the snaps are crisp and my over rudder corrections are lessened and less visable. The next 5 minutes I started to explore the high rate 3D feel. Waterfalls were straight over the wing. Elevators had a bit of wing rock that I made worse with aileron correction instead of rudder usage. Hovering and TR were effortless. Parachutes started to spin off to the right and suddenly elevators began to drop to the right. Something was wrong as this was not the case. I saw the right aileron fluttering in the sun so I easily brought her in for another feather light landing with no drama. I found the pre installed clevis screw and ball had come out on the right aileron. Take these out on your plane and locktight the threads. I failed to do this. Time was up for today.

Impressions;
This is my favorite 50cc plane in the kit and in the air short of a couple of minor issues with the kit QC. I don't think these are unexpected for any chineese ARF. It floats great, tracks straight and presents bigger than any 50cc plane I have seen. IMAC manuvers are very solid. What little 3D exploration I did today was confidence inspiring. This area will be explored more for sure on my next outing.

Mike, Caroline and Dennis, I have always wanted a Carden plane but don't have the time to build or fly often enough with my career to warrent the expense of a custom built 100cc and up Carden although I have drooled over a few of my buddies 35 and 40%ers for years. This plane seems to have all the same charicteristics I have been envious of in the past. Just a little faster at everything than the big brothers but very stable, predictable and light in the air. Thanks for this kit folks. I am tempted to buy another and store it for years down the road when I wear this one out.

I have found my 50cc plane in the H9 Carden Edition Yak 54.

Bud
Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
StevL

I'm sitting and waiting on some AW servo arms My lhs ordered them over a week ago and they seem to be lost.

I'm coming from a QQ yak (version 1, 84 inch) to this h9carden. I can't wait to compare how each one flies. I had issues with both of them out of the box. Nothing major but several minor fixes needed to be done on both arf's. I'm probably leaning towards the h9c for out of the box condition although the covering required a fair amount of attention. I experienced no broken wood, but some very small indentions on the underneath side of the sheeted balsa wing panels. My cowl was as perfect as I've ever received on any size plane. No cowl problems at all. Nice to have the engine box completed unlike my sd extra. There was no foam under the fuel tank so I added a sheet, no big deal.

The hardware is very good on the h9c (imho), I use h9 Ti turnbuckles, pro-lite wheels/tires and this was included which made me happy.

I'm a TNT landing gear fan and ordered mine well before I received the arf. I should have waited; the included gear seems to be much stronger than the average china arf landing gear and many of the composite gears.

The wing panels are a snug fit into the small wing-tote bag but it will work fine. I was rather surprised by how short the wing tube is, but after learning how the wing is built it seems to distribute the load very well.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: pappy35

A local guy bought one at our LHS and is returning it. I've asked the shop to give me a call so I can go and take a look. I'm very curious to see what's up. Never know, I might not mind whatever it is and get a great deal on it. 8-D
I am kinda in the same boat. I am a picky guy, but I have larger planes that I care about how they look. I want one of these planes but I am in the middle of buying another house, so money is tight. I wonder what HH does with all the 'rejected' units??? I am not saying people are whining about nothing, and maybe the quality is sub-par, but I just want one of these to USE AND ABUSE, so I don't need it to look perfect...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Not too crazy about their cheap horns (screws) as well - phenolic horns would have been so much nicer.
The EF horns are nice, but they leave room for error when installing them, not to mention they add several hours to the finish time - and I'd hate to think what could happen if one were to use a bad batch of epoxy, etc.. The screws through the control surface are the 'standard' in GS modeling - it is the way Carden and Dalton kits have been done for years. Not only is it a very effective method, it takes about 12 seconds per control surface to install. And because the screw hole is part of the jig-building process, it's hard to screw up.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Not too crazy about their cheap horns (screws) as well - phenolic horns would have been so much nicer.
The EF horns are nice, but they leave room for error when installing them, not to mention they add several hours to the finish time - and I'd hate to think what could happen if one were to use a bad batch of epoxy, etc.. The screws through the control surface are the 'standard' in GS modeling - it is the way Carden and Dalton kits have been done for years. Not only is it a very effective method, it takes about 12 seconds per control surface to install. And because the screw hole is part of the jig-building process, it's hard to screw up.
It couldn,t agree more re the supplied hardware. I really like the phenolic stuff but this hardware supplied is just plain simple and effective.
Well I just got in from eating out [my daughters birthday] and I couldn.t stop myself from day dreaming about stripping the covering and going with a scheme that I,ve always liked on a Yak.[see below]
I too am kinda picky about my planes and its got me thinking that this plane being of Carden heritage is worthy of a superb covering job.
Besides it will give me the opportunity to mend some of the minor fit and finish issues while making it unique.
I figure that It,ll cost me another $150 to recover and paint it, so $850 for a Extreme Edition 30% H9/Carden Yak is worth it, isn,t it?
Call me nuts but I,m only a few steps away from stripping this baby down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46306.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	703.8 KB
ID:	981640  
Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: RCXPLANES

All,
I was able to maiden, shift the CG, trim and begin the subtle dialing of low rate throws and expo for IMAC and the very subtle mixing for KE and downline flight. My DA 50 is just broken in and dialed so no drama there at all.

Maiden;
At the recomended low rates and expo settings the plane required 4 clicks of up elevator and 2 clicks of right aileron trim for hands off 1/2 throttle straight and level flight. When pulling a 45 upline and roling over, I found the plane required too much down elevator pressure for my prefferance to maintain the 45 and fell off rapidly with hands off. Inverted flight exhibited the same feel. As I said in an earlier post my CG was 0.25" forward of the recomended and fine for a maiden flight. This plane looks and presents big in the air and flies very light like a much larger plane. Uplines were super straight and stable. Rolls were very axiel in any orientation. Downlines wanted to pull to the canopy slightly after the elevator trim for level flight. Landed after 5 minutes to check everything out. This plane really flies awesome at very slow speeds. She landed like a feather and the rollout was very short. I found the cowl was detaching due to the bolts coming loose. Nothing was lost but bolts and brackets would have been gone in another minute or so. The reattachment and adjustmet was easy and locktite was used where the brackets attach with a small cliping of fuel hose added to the four cowl bolts through the brackets. I moved my Rx battery back to the rX / Rudder servo plate for the next flight after thoroughly going over all of the fasteners for linkages.

Trim and mix notes and first full flight;
Up elevator trim was reduced by two for straight and level flight at 1/2 throttle with the new CG right on the recomended point. 45 upline with a roll to invert took what I am more used to to maintain 45 and it fell to the canopy in a nice even manor just the way I like it. I really wanted to feel the plane out on the first full flight so I ran through the 2006 sportsman and 2008 basic routines a number of times and tried KE flight in each direction. Both KE dirrections needed a slight aileron pressure in the same dirrection as the rudder and even less up elevator to maintain a straight line at 3/4 throttle on low rates. Downline still required some down elevator pressure to maintain a straight line and decorations could be added easily due to the nice slow speed compared to what I am used too from a 50cc plane. Humpties, Sharks Tooth, big loops, Immelmans and 1/2 cubans were drawn nice and straight when properly entered. This plane tracks very straight and predictable everywhere. Stall turns were crisp and with a little touch of rudder at the appropriate time the stall spins entered with no perception of a forceed manuver. Without the rudder the spins were difficult to enter as the plane will just float. Snap rolls are very nice. I found the rates a bit high and/or the expo a bit less than I need for super smooth corrections in IMAC. That is due to my own stick rust and not any fault with the plane.

Mix evaluation second full flight;
Adding the KE mixes and downline elevator throttle off mix, I found that I had gone a touch farther than I wanted on all of them. I also knocked the low rate down 10% across the board and added 5% expo across the board. I flew it that way for 10 minutes in IMAC Mode just to get a better feel for what the plane wanted from me and from mixes in low rate. I think the rudder needs to get the rate back and maybe have more expo so the snaps are crisp and my over rudder corrections are lessened and less visable. The next 5 minutes I started to explore the high rate 3D feel. Waterfalls were straight over the wing. Elevators had a bit of wing rock that I made worse with aileron correction instead of rudder usage. Hovering and TR were effortless. Parachutes started to spin off to the right and suddenly elevators began to drop to the right. Something was wrong as this was not the case. I saw the right aileron fluttering in the sun so I easily brought her in for another feather light landing with no drama. I found the pre installed clevis screw and ball had come out on the right aileron. Take these out on your plane and locktight the threads. I failed to do this. Time was up for today.

Impressions;
This is my favorite 50cc plane in the kit and in the air short of a couple of minor issues with the kit QC. I don't think these are unexpected for any chineese ARF. It floats great, tracks straight and presents bigger than any 50cc plane I have seen. IMAC manuvers are very solid. What little 3D exploration I did today was confidence inspiring. This area will be explored more for sure on my next outing.

Mike, Caroline and Dennis, I have always wanted a Carden plane but don't have the time to build or fly often enough with my career to warrent the expense of a custom built 100cc and up Carden although I have drooled over a few of my buddies 35 and 40%ers for years. This plane seems to have all the same charicteristics I have been envious of in the past. Just a little faster at everything than the big brothers but very stable, predictable and light in the air. Thanks for this kit folks. I am tempted to buy another and store it for years down the road when I wear this one out.

I have found my 50cc plane in the H9 Carden Edition Yak 54.

Bud
What a great review! Nicely done

Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
RCXPLANES

Thanks Dave,

Hope you like yours.
I did see that you were close to recovering yours. You should finish and fly it for a day or the season to see if you think it is worth it. You can always do that later. Picky is one thing but fun is another. The off/building season is coming.

Just my 2C

Bud
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
DLEVETT

Hey Bud, Your making a lot of good points. It won,t really make any diffrence if I fly it first and then decide to recover.

thx
Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
RCXPLANES

Now your talking, You've come this far. As long as someone doesn't mid air you, you'll be golden. Truth is that could happen if you recover or not.
It really is a great flying plane. I know you'll like her. Just make sure you locktite everything like I didn't before your maiden day.

Bud
Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM
fenway flyer

Here is my report on the BIG MADIEN. The plane rocks, I had my cg at 197mm first and moved it to 191mm at 197mm the plane does one heck of a snap roll, 191mm very crisp. The DA50 and 23x8 Mejzlik was a great combo. For anybody considering a Carden H9 Yak don't be turned off by few negatives cause this plane is about as nice as my 2.6 Comp-arf Yak.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:28 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

go for it nice color, is it time for a real plane like the big boys fly,hope so frank
Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Kfoster

Hello all!

Got my Yak last week and have let it sit for a week to let if breath in my very dry climate. I have ironed out the wrikles and have started to mount the with servos. I am putting in 5955 all round and am powering it with a EVO 58 on a EVO Pitts. Everything looks really good, I just need to order some stand offs, but I am not sure what to get. Any one out there with the same set up got some advice?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: Kfoster

Hello all!

Got my Yak last week and have let it sit for a week to let if breath in my very dry climate. I have ironed out the wrikles and have started to mount the with servos. I am putting in 5955 all round and am powering it with a EVO 58 on a EVO Pitts. Everything looks really good, I just need to order some stand offs, but I am not sure what to get. Any one out there with the same set up got some advice?
Hi,
The Evolution 38mm stanoffs will put you within a couple of mm of the DA50 dimensions called for in the manual.
I have a set here in my workshop for my MVVS 58. I can take some measurments if you want.

Dave
Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Kfoster

Thanks Dave that would be great it would save me some time and possibly having to re-order.

Thanks Kent
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks Dave that would be great it would save me some time and possibly having to re-order.

Thanks Kent
Okay Kent, I,ll mount them up in the morning and post the measurements then. I,ve also got a set of 50mm standoffs so I,ll measure them as well.

Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 PM
SEVOOLIG
My Feedback: (94)

Hello Everyone,

I had couple of questions and was hoping someone can help me out. I am using the DA 50 with a Jtec pitts wrap around. I wanted to know what size (inch) standoffs would be appropriate. Is the standard 2.5" good enough to do the job or someother size?? Also, where is everyone installing the single rudder servo?? In the fuse center or externally at the rear to achive the recommended CG??

If anyone can assist me on my 2 questions that'll be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 PM
RCXPLANES

ORIGINAL: SEVOOLIG

Hello Everyone,

I had couple of questions and was hoping someone can help me out. I am using the DA 50 with a Jtec pitts wrap around. I wanted to know what size (inch) standoffs would be appropriate. Is the standard 2.5" good enough to do the job or someother size?? Also, where is everyone installing the single rudder servo?? In the fuse center or externally at the rear to achive the recommended CG??

If anyone can assist me on my 2 questions that'll be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Sevoolig,
The manual calls for 3" standoffs for the DA-50. Most of them came with 2.5" units as mine did. I used the 2.5" with some 0.5" Oak spacers till my 3" standoffs arive. I put the spacers forward of the thrust blocks so the right thrust starts at the same point as 3" standoffs would.

I am using a single HT HS5955TG http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...HS-5955TG.html in the Pull-Pull center fuselage location with my ignition and ignition battery on top of the motor box and my Rx battery next to the Rx on the center fuselage tray in front of the rudder servo. CG is great there when tested pulling a 45 deg upline- inverting. The plane requires a small amount of down elevator to maintain the upline and pulls slowly and steadily to the canopy with hands off the elevator. Plane has great control for IMAC and will 3D easily there.

Hope this helps,

Bud
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
SEVOOLIG
My Feedback: (94)

Bud, excellent, I appreciate the quick response. I'll take your advice and install the rudder servo and the batteries in the locations you suggested.

I was wondering, that the real servo location would be a great idea because of the longer tail moment. However, from what you have stated, keeping the rudder servo in the center location is still the better spot.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks Kent
Hi Guys sorry for the delay.
Here is the pics of a MVVS/Evolution 58gx with 38mm standoffs and 50mm standoffs.
The 38mm standoffs place the propeller at 6-3/4"
The 50mm standoffs place the propeller at 7-1/4"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15386.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	990429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33179.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	990430  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

this is going to be my next plane, blue is my favorite color, will your engine run as good as it looks? Looked at a da, over price ? thanks frank
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
moki man
My Feedback: (12)

Hello to all, The World Famous Moki Man chiming in here, I just got my Yak today and I would appreciate any and all comments, advice and help, this is my current plan:

DL-50 w/Slimline pitts, Hitec 7955's on ailerons and elevators, JR8711 on rudder, Futaba 9601's on throttle and choke, two 2600 Li-on's with fremoco regs and batt share, 2600 with reg for ignition only fly IMAC style, no 3D, Fly off of super large grass runway in Eutawville, SC almost Sea-Level and I love the ability to go vertical till I can't see it anymore. I also don't hardly ever keep a plane for more than one flying season....any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanking You All in Advance................MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.