Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM
tklemin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Yes, any end you want 1/4 or smaller will fit in the tigerdrive wand adapter. Just match up the rotostart end with an allen key, then cut it down and put in the tigerdrive. The tigerdrive has two small screws at both ends to hold them in. Thats why it doesnt come with a drive end. your suppose to use what you need. You could also just cut the end of the rotostart wand off and use that, but I wouldnt. You might need it. Use a cut off wheel to make a small groove around the allen key for an o-ring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43187.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	990281  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
bnick

Ok so I am just going to go over this so I know I have it right. Find a allen key that fits in my rotostart. Cut off the bent end then fit it in the tiger drive adaptor and I am good to go.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:29 PM
tklemin

Yup. If your using a rotostart box you will have make it spin counter clockwise to use a top/axial type tigerdrive.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
r/cracer1

hi my name is Alan and I'm looking for transmission gears, Have Redcat Tornado BB with 2 speed, transmission gears are stripped looking to upgrade. Does anyone know what I would need?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
bnick

can I just switch the one way bearing or will that mess up the motor and how do I get it to turn the opposite way
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
kb73

My letter to redcat ....Enclosed is my SH .18 engine it no longer will idle, it will start and will only run until warm then it dies and will not start again. It has no pinch at TDC, and I believe it needs to be replaced. I had called and the person I had talked to said to send it in with my invoice and it would be replaced for ½ the cost of a new one. Due to the history of this car I am asking if an adjustment could be made on that cost. When I bought this car during the break in the radio failed causing the car to run wide open throttle until I was able to get it shut down which was a couple of minutes because it took off in a straight line. I contacted you and you sent me a replacement radio to which I added a fail safe, and finished the break in. I have only used 1 Qt of fuel in this car and it no longer works. I don’t feel that this is acceptable for a product regardless of price. I felt originally the car should have been exchanged after the radio failed rather than having your customers have to tear the car apart after ten minutes of use, and then wait 4 weeks to have a complete car again. I realize these cars need to be worked on and parts break, but between radio failing, dog bones falling out, and now the engine trouble I have worked on this car far more than have drove it. Its now up to you and what level of customer service you are willing to provided please contact me as to how you are going to proceed on this matter. . Redcat is sending me my new SH for 1/2 the price of a new one plus shipping now thats service LOL.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: r/cracer1

hi my name is Alan and I'm looking for transmission gears, Have Redcat Tornado BB with 2 speed, transmission gears are stripped looking to upgrade. Does anyone know what I would need?
Yea me too. I put a traxxas 2.5R on my Tornado and my tranny gears are gone now. Do they have a upgrade from the plastic one?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: numskull223

Yea me too. I put a traxxas 2.5R on my Tornado and my tranny gears are gone now. Do they have a upgrade from the plastic one?
Ehroof told me himoto is working on a metal 2 speed tranny. Not out yet. I said screw it and went to the single speed in all mine until they release the metal ones. Haven't changed a gear since.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: tklemin

Yes, any end you want 1/4 or smaller will fit in the tigerdrive wand adapter. Just match up the rotostart end with an allen key, then cut it down and put in the tigerdrive. The tigerdrive has two small screws at both ends to hold them in. Thats why it doesnt come with a drive end. your suppose to use what you need. You could also just cut the end of the rotostart wand off and use that, but I wouldnt. You might need it. Use a cut off wheel to make a small groove around the allen key for an o-ring.
why not just buy the roto-start set from redcat. Fits with no mods and comes with the starter, wand and backplate. You'll spend less.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
r/cracer1

would like to get going what do i need to make it a 1 speed
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Hibityhupla!

all you should need is 1 speed bell and tranny. part #'s 02107 and 05126 should do it.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 AM
tklemin

You dont have to do any mods to use a tigerdrive backplate. Plus you can get a wand and backplate for like $32.00 with shipping. Being able to start it from the top is a lot easier on a tornado than trying to squirrel it between the suspension arms and dogbone. I have never used a redcat rotostart, are they as reliable as thier radios?[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
gokartingbob455

(i've never understanded the drowning smiley face)

is there any way to put a roll bar in the tornado?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have done the 1 speed and the 2 speed and i found that the 2 speed is funer but the 1 speed lasts a lot longer! i put a set of shock covers on my shocks last night

Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: tklemin

You dont have to do any mods to use a tigerdrive backplate. Plus you can get a wand and backplate for like $32.00 with shipping. Being able to start it from the top is a lot easier on a tornado than trying to squirrel it between the suspension arms and dogbone. I have never used a redcat rotostart, are they as reliable as thier radios?[sm=drowning.gif]
lol...lots better then the stock radio....and it's really not that bad to go from the back. there's plenty of room. $32 and no actual starter? here's the redcat one
70111t Starter Gun & BackPlate for VX16 and VX18 Vertex Engines (Battery and Charger NOT included) 1 in bolt pattern 40.00 $40.00
it uses any 7.2v battery. anyone who's ever boought a wal-mart special probably has a few laying around.

I've used one since i bought my redcat last year and never had a problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Hibityhupla!

If that tigerdrive backplate is like the one i had for my smartech car i really don't recommend it. The one I bought replaces the one-way bearing with a gear with the bearing pressed in the middle. So when the one-way goes out you'll be spending more to buy another gear or whole backplate rather then just the one-way.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
bnick

I just ordered the back plate I have the rotostart allready so lets hope this work. they were out of stock for a long time just came in this week.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
bnick

Is that just a baloon for the shock cover. If so how do you get them to stay on.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
tklemin

Great have at it. I'm simply giving some other options other than redcat. There are many aftermarket companies out there making great stuff. Dont be such a redcat elitest. I love my Tornado but if I had the dough, Redcat would not be my rc of choice. My FM radio they sent with the BB Pro took a dump in about two weeks. Buts thats ok because I had others. Have you had any experience using redcats brushless system? Who makes it?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Hibityhupla!

Trust me, I'm not a very big fan of redcat. Just spent so much time working on mine I figured out the cheapest way to fix and make it last a while. I've had redcat, himoto, smartech, hpi, traxxas, D&A, IRC and heng long vehicles. My favorite would have to be traxxas. Great engines, decent electronics, fast out of the box and pretty cheap to fix. Not much of a recat elitest...lol

Haven't had much experience with ep vehicles. Just started building my first one. Bought a heng long lightning car and swapped electronics for the new traxxas brushless set. With a cheaper 3300mah 7.2v battery it goes 28-30mph. Got a venom 11.1v 5400mah lipo battery and charger coming so hopefully it will go faster. The only real problem I ran into so far is the gearing. It's the only ep car I've seen with 1m gearing. Makes it impossible to find new gears unless i have them made. You can find the traxxas brushless set on ebay for around $180. Sorry, don't know anything about the redcat one.......
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
el_tonto

Doesn't the brushless system use a 5mm shaft? in that case Century make Mod1.0 from [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001376319&I=LXMGY1&P=K]9 tooth[/link] to [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001376319&I=LXMGZ0&P=K]14 tooth[/link] (and all in between). As for Spurs - the Savage X uses Mod1 as well. I modded my Nitro Tornado to use [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001376319&I=LXMCZ8&P=K]this Savage X 49T spur[/link] and I used a clutch bell from a Kyosho, which I think also uses Mod1 a lot.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
mcraig8377

i just received my redcat tornado epx does anybody know how long to charge it with charger that came with it the manuel gives no information on this subject would appreciate any help i can get thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Hibityhupla!

Whats the normal bore on pinion gears? Is 5mm larger then most? If so do they make an adapter?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: numskull223

Ehroof told me himoto is working on a metal 2 speed tranny. Not out yet. I said screw it and went to the single speed in all mine until they release the metal ones. Haven't changed a gear since.
Is the 1 speed just as fast. the 2,5R was too much power for the gears. Id like to have good low end and decent top end. I want my cake and to eat it too...LOL. So how good does the 1 speed do?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
rcphanatik

if you get the aluminiun upper plate for the bb, aren't you missing screws? i don't get it. help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.