Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Alternatives to Tire Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
lakeccrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to Tire Glue?

I have ordered a bottle of Tire Glue and Imex Paddles for my Rustler VXL.

However, I did not order Rims for the Tires.

I know that there is a trick in which you boil the tires with the rims to get the glue to release, but I would not like to do this every time I want to switch from an offroad tire to a pavement tire.

Are there any alternatives to using Tire Glue and that is easy to get off when I want to remove the tires? I was hoping some type of tape would work, but I don't see it holding when in full throttle.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Alternatives to Tire Glue?

Buy beadlocks. Then, when tire change time comes around, just unscrew the bead retainer rings and the tires happily slide right off!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Hack u 2

Cheap Super glue. Super glue only has a stong lateral bond, when you bend the tire side ways it will crack and release. Beadlocks are the best bet. Cheap superglue 5 for $2.00
Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
supamagician

id just buy a set of wheels for the tires and just change em out with whatever you are using on your car when you want to use those tires. with the cost of beadlocks, you might as well just get another set of rims
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: supamagician

id just buy a set of wheels for the tires and just change em out with whatever you are using on your car when you want to use those tires. with the cost of beadlocks, you might as well just get another set of rims
Same here. It's quick and they're always at the ready should you change terrain.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best option is to get a set of wheels for each set of tires. Once you've worn out a set of tires, inspect the wheels, and if they're fine, remove the old tires using your favorite method (baking, boiling, acetone, etc.).
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Adam Bailey

Bead locks are your number 1 best bet, or just buy a second set of rims, they cant be more than like $20.00
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
dacaur

+1 for the second set of rims... anyone that suggests beadlocks to swap tires back and forth has never assembled a set of beadlocks! They are a pain... worth it to do once per set of tires and they look cool, but they would totally suck for swapping tires back and forth, plus the screw holes would be stripped out in no time... just assembling the set on my wheely king once I stripped a few of the holes....
Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM
jumpanddrop

ok so how do you take the tires off the rims???. i am going to put new tires on my old rims but i can get the tires off. someone said somthing about boiling them. how long???
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Hack u 2

dacaur,anyone who takes off bead locks with a alan wrench is a rookie. Anyone who uses every srew is a rookie. I use a cordless drill gun. Use every other hole! For your stripped holes insert JB weld in the hole and let it cure. Drill and your back in business. 2 sets of wheels 6-10 min.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:29 AM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

dacaur,anyone who takes off bead locks with a alan wrench is a rookie. Anyone who uses every srew is a rookie. I use a cordless drill gun. Use every other hole! For your stripped holes insert JB weld in the hole and let it cure. Drill and your back in business. 2 sets of wheels 6-10 min.

well, that was pretty insulting

personally, i always saw beadlocks as an expensive hassle
i'd rather go with and extra set of rims and not have to deal with all the crap of beadlocks
when i want to change tires in the field or at the track

but to each their own, i guess
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: jumpanddrop

ok so how do you take the tires off the rims???. i am going to put new tires on my old rims but i can get the tires off. someone said somthing about boiling them. how long???

Far as boiling , the time all depends on what glue and how well they were glued on . 1/10 rims are cheap , just go buy a set of new rims .
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Hack u 2

iamnot what is insulting about the word "rookie". It means new and inexperienced. We have all been there.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
dacaur

ah, so only new and inexperienced people use all the screws... experts only use some of them... sure, makes sense.. The drill idea is a fine one, assuming you have a drill with a clutch and know how to use it...

Anyway, in this case I dont think beadlocks make sense. There are two reasons to use beadlocks. To hold the tires better than glue can in high power/high traction applications. And to be able to remove the tires when you need to, for example, to change the amount/type of weight in the tires. A second set of rims makes way more sense for the thread starter in this case...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 AM
dustinbleh

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...ling-tires.asp

there are your instructions on removing glued tires. hope it helps.