Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

9zap wcII battery issue, too fast discharge.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9zap wcII battery issue, too fast discharge.

Hello,
I have two batteries for my 9zap. Both about 7 years old. Now, both have starting discharging unreasonably fast. The voltage readout on the Tx goes down like a second hand after reaching 9.5 volts. On a fully charged battery I made two short flights and while getting ready for a third the warning beep sounded. I changed the battery, started making some expo adjustments and within 5 minutes the low bat warning sounded. Could this be something in the Tx itself? Are there any known Tx faults that can cause this fast drawdown of power? It seems to charge normally enough. The Tx switches on and off properly. I have a second 9zap with a broken antennae on the last two segments. Can I use that one to test the bats? What is the best method for testing?

While I write this I have one battery on charge in my normal Robbe charger and the other on the Futaba wall socket charger to see if its possible the Robbe chager went bad.

Lastly, these bats are 7 years old. I'm not incapable of soldering well. Are these battery cassettes user reloadable should the problem prove to be only old batteries? If so, may I increase capacity?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
rctrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9zap wcII battery issue, too fast discharge.

I would say the batterys are old enough to smoke.I would replace thrm.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 9zap wcII battery issue, too fast discharge.

We'd not know if the battery pack is bad or not, but the age indicates that they are likely near the end of their useful life. They would need to be discharge-tested to see. Futaba can only recommend replacement with a stock battery pack.