Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

need advice on FC3 setup for JR heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

need advice on FC3 setup for JR heli

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
adamrs80
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on FC3 setup for JR heli

I currently have a JR venture 30 setup for 3d according to the manual. I like the grace of the FC3 manuevers. At some point I'd like to have a 90 class machine but in the mean time this is what I have. I need to know if I should put the weighted paddles back on and make the adjustments necessary to have slower cyclic movements.

I couldn't find much infor out there on how to set up a heli for FC3, whereas 3d stuff is everywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adam
Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Druss

Default RE: need advice on FC3 setup for JR heli

What do you have in your heli right now: servos, gyro... etc? How is your radio programmed?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 AM
adamrs80

I have the JR 500t ring lock gyro, 810g high speed tail servo, and the rest are standard digital jr servos. Throttle curve for stunt mode is 100-90-75-90-100, normal mode is 0-25-50-75-100. Pitch curves are set up to get -12, 0, +12 in stunt mode. I have it set up with JR 3d paddles, 410mm flybar and have put on some spacers at the swashplate to increase cyclic response. I was thinking maybe I should put back on the longer flybar but keep the 3d paddles, try some flybar weights and put the swashplate back on the original setup with no spacers on the ball links.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

My buddy flys F3C, let me see if I can drag him in here.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Erich_F

Huh, wha??

Oh yes! The Venture series of helicopters is actually pretty well suited for precision flying. The old heads hover and track very well. Rather than re-type the whole thing, Gordie Meade made a really great thread on RunRyder about setups for precision flying:

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t178147p1/

I just want to clarify some terminology for ya, first. F3C is often used to identify precision, or "contest flying", also known as precision helicopter aerobatics or Heli Pattern. F3C is actually the three letter code in the FAI Air Sporting Code for R/C Model Helicopter. F3C is the top class of competition, as well as a standard internationally. Everyone flying F3C in the world is flying the same manuevers.

Individual countries, the US included, have their own prepratory classes. In the US, they are referred to as the AMA Classes, of which there are three. AMA class I is the entry level class, and I wrote a detailed thread about this class here:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41227

There, you will see the Class I manuevers drawn in diagrams and detailed explanations on their execution.

Anyways, most people refer to precision flying as "FAI" or "F3C" just cause it's quick and easy. People call me an FAI pilot, even though I fly AMA Class III

Now, as for your setup, the 30 will do fine for AMA class I, and possibly II, but it may be pushing it. Class II has a few tall vertical manuevers that need a pretty fast machine with some mass to make the figures look good. Basically, you want the shorter flybar, heavy fat paddles, and good heavy blades with a neutral chordwise CG, and maybe some flybar weights to suit to taste. Use the smallest servo arms you can get away with to maintain your servo's resolution. This allows you to keep your end points closer to 100%. Most of the radio setup is detailed in Gordie's thread on RR.

Good luck!

Erich

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks Erich
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
adamrs80

Wow, fantastic. Thanks to both of you for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Adam
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Erich_F

Glad I could help. There's a guy that just moved to Austin from Switzerland, his name is Henrik Engbert. Look him up on RR, and maybe you could hook up with him for some one on one...