Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM
GreenAce92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Once you guys build big planes that carry like 8oz cameras, you guys should check out this camera i saw its called an Olympus its 7.1megapixels and its waterproof! so if ya crash in a swamp or something the camera is A-ok, the CVS rite aid cameras arent bad either.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM
walkermsg

Haven't been near a swamp crash in year. Light weight, swivel lens,low profile, easy to mount on plane, these are plus's. Landing in a swamp is pretty low on my prioity list.
Lee
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
GreenAce92

yeah but i like a 7megapixel camera at least... these 80dollar 3megapixel cameras sheesh... you can buy a 7megapixel for that price if you know where to look.
So hows your guy's cubs doing? im doing 2 contests right now, dont have my cub no more.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
djcarld

I don't have mine anymore, but my friend Jason has one and lets me fly it. Just got back from flying with a small group of friends at a new to me field. I did maiden the FlyCamOne2 on my Air Boss. I'm uploading to YouTube, so I'll post a link.

Here's the link- www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfRTwK5k3XU
Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
GreenAce92

Nice video!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 PM
djcarld

Thanks !! That plane can now pull vertical with the lipo battery now. The guys at the field were pretty impressed with my little plane. I brought the Air Boss and 2 helis. Jason had his Exceed RC Cub. Jeron had a large scale Cub, Kantana, and a profile SU-31. Jim brought a Bipe, SU-31 profile, Edge 550, and an SU-29. Mike had the largest plane there, which was a Edge 550. Not sure of engine size, but the plane was BIG !! Sign me up !! It sure was a good time flying today !! To make it even better we went to the airshow at the local airport yesterday, so everyone was in the mood to fly today.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 AM
GreenAce92

Excellent! Sounds great! good for you man, glad you have some buddies to fly with.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
djcarld

Let me know if you ever get to Oregon !!! We could go to the field. I now have 2 spots to fly now. I guess these guys get together every Sunday. One of them I used to work with, and the other is a local police officer. The other guy I just met, and we hit it off.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
GreenAce92

sounds great man!! was at oregons once, nice place
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
beemerd

HI! I just bought a Cub. Not sure if its a Shun Da, but certainly looks very similar to the pcitures I've seen on this thread, even the battery door looks the same as on mine. This is my first plane, and yes, I've already had a not-so-great-landing. The plane flew great, and I was able to do a ROG takeoff, which I didn't think I could do being this was my very first flight, of anything. I have already ordered a new fuseladge and that should be in tomorrow. I did buy a simulator and have been practicing. Looking forward to any advise those wiser then I can part.

I am not in a club, and don't really know of any in my area, and I'm not really a club kind of person anyway. I've ordered a few replacement parts, since I'm teaching myself along with many hours on the simulator, which, uses an R/C transmitter that connects via USB. Very neat.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
walkermsg

The cub is not a good plane to learn on, my opion. It stalls easily, is underpowered and snaps in half in a hard landing. A slow flyer with big wings like a Multiplex Easy Glider is much better to learn on. It flys slow enough to get the feel of flying. It's made of a tough material called Elapor that is almost indestructable. I tried learning on the Space Sooter which is way too fast for a newbie. My longest flight was 5 seconds. I gave up after many crashes till I bought an Easy Glider, or an Easy Star probably would be a better learner plane.
Lot's of luck, keep at it and you'll get to love to fly.
Lee
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
djcarld

Even the Exceed RC version has "SDM" on the TX. Thank god you bought spares, as this plane is on the brittle side. You did really well if you did a ROG take-off. I have a friend who is new, and he can't even do that. Keep spending some sim time to get used to nose-in and orientation. We were all there once. It took me 3 planes to learn, and I'm still learning. Read back in this forum for tips and mods to the cub. It can be a great flyer if set up right. Check out my video link above. It's a Herr Air Boss 3ch kit plane that I built. I haven't built a kit in 24yrs. Welcome to this FUN hobby !! Good luck on you training.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
beemerd

ORIGINAL: djcarld

Even the Exceed RC version has "SDM" on the TX. Thank god you bought spares, as this plane is on the brittle side. You did really well if you did a ROG take-off. I have a friend who is new, and he can't even do that. Keep spending some sim time to get used to nose-in and orientation. We were all there once. It took me 3 planes to learn, and I'm still learning. Read back in this forum for tips and mods to the cub. It can be a great flyer if set up right. Check out my video link above. It's a Herr Air Boss 3ch kit plane that I built. I haven't built a kit in 24yrs. Welcome to this FUN hobby !! Good luck on you training.

SDM? Huh? Remember, I'm new. Imagine my surprise when the plane took off from ROG. My intention was just to power it up for a couple seconds at full throttle then shut it down and let it come to stop. That is what I intended to do, didn't realize just how hungry this thing was to get off Terra-firma. It flew really really well. I was rather impressed at how easy it was to fly. Just didn't quite nail the landing.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
djcarld

SDM is the Shun Da logo for the plane this forum is about. Everyone here still or has owned one. (Mine met a scoreboard.) Exceed RC puts out a version of this plane with a better 3 ch TX that has a sliding lever on the left and a regular stick on the right. The regular TX has the throttle on the back with the elevator and rudder controls on the front. It's pretty awkward. It sounds like you had no choice to fly, when you just wanted to practice your taxi down the runway. The cub does lift off once it gets to airspeed, and does it quite well if you don't give it too much elevator. My friend can't keep his straight on take-off. It just spins in a circle, so I usually do the take-off for him, then get him 3 mistakes high before handing him the TX. He's starting to get the flying part down. Keep up the practice, and you'll get it down. Then when you start getting seasoned you'll want every plane you see, and maybe get in to helicopters as well. Right now I'm limiting myself to 2 planes and 2 helis, but i will always have a backup in case I crash one. If I sell one, then I'll replace with a different one. keep posting and let us know how you're doing or any help on setup that you may need.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 AM
AJ1202

Exceed RC is Shun Da Shun Da changed their name to Exceed RC last year
Exceed RC makes a plane called the Wild Hawk, this is basicaly a copy of the easy star
it is also EPP and is a real good flyer, even stock it flys good, as in all SDM or now Exceed RC
planes it is tailheavy but you can move the batt forward and problem solved
I fly mine all the time as it's just fun to fly

The Cub is a tough first plane for most people but can be a very nice flyer
I don't own one anymore but still like them
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM
djcarld

Yeah I had to put the batt forward in my cub when I had it too. I have gotten better in my skills, so I can fly one stock now. I was curious abut the Wild Hawk also,but went to a Herr Air Boss kit instead. It's been almost 1yr since I finished and flew the Air Boss for the first time, and I'm still flying it right now without a single scratch on it. I give the SDM Cub alot of credit for teaching me to fly, and this forum for the great setup tips on the plane. I look back to memory lane whenever I take my friend out to fly his. I was thinking about getting one for my 5yr old son to learn on, but I think about how brittle the fuse is. I might start him out on a Firebird Phantom.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM
AJ1202

I wouldn't advise on the phantom
There are far more negative post about it than possitive ones
go with what you know works, I agree the cub would be a bad idea
unless you have a phantom that does well I wouldn't do it.
Since I got the wild hawk I push it as a good begginer plane and can be had RTF for around 70.00 on sale, Worth every penny IMHO

I fly planes well beyond it's limits but I realy enjoy flying it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it flew stock once I moved the batt forward to get the CG right
it will ROG with little effort and glides so smooth, it can fly at a walking speed before it stalls and can be recovered from a stall at 2 ft off the ground

Can you tell I like this plane

Here's short clip of mine flying, it's brushless in the clip but you will get the idea [link]http://www.badiusownersclub.com/video/WH1.wmv[/link]
Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 PM
beemerd

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

I wouldn't advise on the phantom
There are far more negative post about it than possitive ones
go with what you know works, I agree the cub would be a bad idea
unless you have a phantom that does well I wouldn't do it.
Since I got the wild hawk I push it as a good begginer plane and can be had RTF for around 70.00 on sale, Worth every penny IMHO

I fly planes well beyond it's limits but I realy enjoy flying it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it flew stock once I moved the batt forward to get the CG right
it will ROG with little effort and glides so smooth, it can fly at a walking speed before it stalls and can be recovered from a stall at 2 ft off the ground

Can you tell I like this plane

Here's short clip of mine flying, it's brushless in the clip but you will get the idea [link]http://www.badiusownersclub.com/video/WH1.wmv[/link]
LOL! Loved the video! Some very nice flying there. That looks like a good plane for me to get on. I just received the replacement fuse for my J-3. I guess all I have to do is remove the parts from the now, non servicable fuse, and stick those parts in exactly the same manner in the new fuse.

Has anyone heard of a Wind Dragon?? Was looking at one of these.... http://cgi.ebay.ca/RTF-3CH-WINDDRAGO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 AM
djcarld

That does look like a great plane !! looks like it flies a gentle as my Herr Air Boss. Looks like it would also be a good camera plane too. What brushless motor and battery are you running ? Beemerd, I've heard of the Wing Dragon, but have never flown one myself. I do know you can get it in a 3ch or 4ch version. From what I've seen on YouTube it looks like a alright flyer.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:36 PM
beemerd

ORIGINAL: djcarld

That does look like a great plane !! looks like it flies a gentle as my Herr Air Boss. Looks like it would also be a good camera plane too. What brushless motor and battery are you running ? Beemerd, I've heard of the Wing Dragon, but have never flown one myself. I do know you can get it in a 3ch or 4ch version. From what I've seen on YouTube it looks like a alright flyer.

Hiya. I went with a Firebird Phantom. I know there are some negative posts about this plane, but my LHS (Ideal Hobby) in Barrie, Ontario, has this plane in stock, and many spare parts. I also discovered that my LHS is staffed by very compentent, and honest people. I use to buy my stuff online: eBay, but now it will all be from Ideal Hobby in Barrie. I don't quite know what a brushless motor is. My knowledge base resides around premium brand motorcycles, not model planes I'm afraid.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
djcarld

Well guys,

I went flying on Sunday, and my friend put his cub into a tree. It took us 1 1/2 hrs to get his plane down. He's still having trouble with nose-in flight, and handling a little wind. Later he crashed hard. I'm trying to find a fuselage for him. The only site I found one at was Nitroplanes.com, but they're always out of stock. I did send him some links on kits and ARFs that his electronics would possibly fit in. Anyone know where I could get a fuselage for him. I guess I'm going to buddy box with him on my plane until he gets the know how on flying. I got to fly a foamie for the first time, and pulled off a harrier, hover, knife edge, and a blender. I now have to get me a 3D plane..
Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 AM
beemerd

This guy sells spare parts for this plane. I've bought replacement parts off of him, he's seems to be very honest and easy to deal with, but may take up to a day to respond to your inquiry.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RTF-ELECTRIC-3CH-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
djcarld

Thank you !! I just sent him a question on EBay. I really want to get my friend flying again. I'll also get him a rear stabilizer set as well. The only thing that didn't break was his main wing.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 PM
beemerd

Did you get your parts?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
djcarld

He wanted too much for the shipping. I think my friend's going to get a ARF for his gear. I just couldn't believe how hard the parts are to find for this plane, when the web site he bought it from said that parts were "readily" available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.