Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:03 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Pics of our Six B-25's Its still hard to belive we got them all in the air at one time. The first one is My TF then the others are four H9 and one KMP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19139.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1004929  
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pic rc74.

Tell me this if you could (and don't comment if you don't feel comfortable doing so), did you guys make comparisons between the different models? Was there any consensus? I mean for example (not that this would have been the case), did everybody think the Top Flite looked best, but was too expensive or too difficult to assemble? Or was there a consensus that the H-9 was the best value for the price or anything like that? Or, did everybody just think theirs was best in all regards? Just wondering what kind of conversations you may have had with the others about any differences in these planes.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
norm

Tim

TIM

About B-25: owners of, 3 top flite, 4 Hangar 9, 1 Kmp and 2 Zirolli Kit:

Owners said that the Top Flite was the best in 2 of 3 category (1) the value for the price, (2) ease of assembly and (3)The Zirolli Kit was judged ( street judging) best in scale and detailing.

Detailing is up to the one who build it and you can even detail the TF B-25 and add features up to a functional turret by Wingspanmodel. The only non scale visible default on the TF is the stabilizer-elevator that should be even with the top of the fuselage in the back. No version of the B-25 was made this way.

As for the value for the price the TF is way ahead with the scale beauty, the functional gear doors, the quality of all components and the quality of construction make this B-25 the best value for the money.

Kit builders are impressed with this TF B-25 and most of us find ways to improve this plane to bring it up to our liking and it offers a lot of options. brakes, new wheels, bomb bay doors...

This is the flag ship of my fleet presently and I like this plane a lot. (Until I get and build the Avro Lancaster)... http://falcon-aviation.com/ or see a video of it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFi6SQ58RyI

try also to imagine this plane with 4 Saito FG36...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
rc74

Tim The guys in our club that bought the Hanger 9 I think did so due to price except for one that won his in our warbird raffle. I didn't hear much from the guys putting together there H9s till I brought my TF out for the first time then the comments started, say that it looks like they got what they payed for. Some were unhappy with the plastic parts, fuel tank mounts, sterring set up, glossy covering, cheap looking cowls, etc. One comment from a long time scale builder about the TF was that it is the perfect size, bigger than H9 but not too big, and keeping the fuse and inboard wings together as one like I did, then just putting the wing tips on at the field, was a great idea. Also that with a little detal how much it looked like a kit built. I have had stick time on the H9 and the KMP and they all fly great. My TF flys just a little heaver (5lbs) and slower but I like it that way its so scale. As for me spending a couple hunderd buck more starting out for the TF and ending up with a far better looking and well built bomber than the H9 I couldn't be more happy!!! With the H9 you still have to buy the retracts, engines, and all the misc idems at about the same price as you have to for the TF. All in all They all fly great and in the air you can't tell them apart. Thanks Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89006.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1005064  
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM
jbarnes

Been following this thread. I own a H9 B25. The reason I selected the H9 was that I wasn't sure I would enjoy a twin warbird with all the horror stories of engine outs so I elected to go cheap. I also was concerned about the amount of time to build the TF. I bought the H9 for $200 less than the TF and had minimal investment in time to assemble it and left it fixed gear. Basically I've got a B25 trainer. Like all H9 stuff it went together great and there were a few areas that could have been improved but I would guess the TF had some minor issues also.

Butttttt, I'm flying the heck out of the H9 B25 and I'm thinking I'd like to have retracts, a little more scale look and a little larger. Thats why I have the TF B25 on the xmas list! I'm also really thinking electric this time. Guess the Americans would have loved to have a stealth B25 running electric in WWII.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jbarnes

The Top Flight is a great airplane, and worth the extra cost, but it has not been designed with electric in mind. Of course it can be done. I think if you do convert, you should put the batteries in the fuselage, probably make a bomb bay. I think it would be simpler to convert your H9 to electric since it's designed for either, and install two four strokes in the TF B25 should you get one.

One of the flyers at our field has many electric models exclusively no glow, many small and large single motors, and a few twin motor planes, including a 109†P38, and a Hanger 9 B25 that he has not built. After he saw my TF B25 he has decided to complete it and install his first glow engines. He thought the sound of two four strokes was great. So do I.

Just a comment, it's best to do your own thing.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
rc74

Good point! None of the 4 guys in are club flying the H9 have had a twin before and only got the planes because we wanted to do a Doolittle event. All had the same concerns you had. All but one put retracts in first thing. I had a KMP B-25 that I lost due to a engine out. I am now using Twin Sync on my TF. At that time KMP quit selling theres and H9 and TF was coming out with one. TF one was my choice hands down due to the size the drab covering, gear doors and the quailty. The only thing I didn't like was the angled stripes on the fuse.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
krproton

Hey guys,

thanks for all of your objective comments - and for posting so fast!

I'm sure this is interesting to all.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Tim, after a close evaluation of both the H9 B-25 and the TF B-25, I am going with the TF model. Same reasons as many mention: I prefer the slightly larger size, the scale gear doors, the more and better detail, the no gloss covering. I actually like the H9 paint and markings a bit better than the TF, but plan to change my B-25 to different nose and tail art ("Heavenly Body" nose and tail art and markings) anyway, so mine will stand out a bit in the crowd.

Some mentioned that it is harder to convert to electric. the TF B-25 electric conversion review over at R/C Groups shows that converting it to electric is nearly and easy as doing the H9 in electric.

The only negative comments about the TF model that have been concerning me were the ones about the clarity of the transparencies and the fragility of the nose transparency.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
krproton

Hey Thomas,

thanks for all of your comments!

Yea, about the electric, we pretty much try to illustrate installation of both glow and electric in all our models (where applicable), but development of the B-25 was just being completed when this decision was made. Coincidentally, Greg Hahn (who many know as "Mr. B-25") started working at Hobbico just when the project was being completed, so we gave him a leftover prototype that he finished with glass and paint and also converted to electric, so that's where we got the bit of electric data from.

Well, good luck with yours and keep us updated on how it is going (I am in the process of finishing another B-25 for my own personal use in aluminum MonoKote).

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

I'm in the proces of building the Hangar 9 B-25, electric version. Actually I bought a kit from a Hobby Town store and discovered that the glow motors were actually installed already. So, my build is in the Conversion forum of RC Groups. My builds are usually full of BS and drama, and I have done several conversions under the name of scalefan. Check it out.
Al
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: algutkin

I'm in the proces of building the Hangar 9 B-25, electric version. Actually I bought a kit from a Hobby Town store and discovered that the glow motors were actually installed already. So, my build is in the Conversion forum of RC Groups. My builds are usually full of BS and drama, and I have done several conversions under the name of scalefan. Check it out.
Al
I know of a couple of H-9 B-25 special combo kits with the installed Evo .36 motors that showed up in local hobby shops at the price of the normal kit and actually sold for the 399 street price of the kit alone.....evidently Horizon made some shipping errors...

It was tempting, but I had already decided, even back then, to go with the TF kit.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
elojim

Hi,

do you think i's preferable to have brakes on a (rough) runway about 100 meters long ?

thanks,

Emmanuel
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
elojim

ok thanks !
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
CCFPILOT

elojim

That’s a pretty short runway, so I think it would be "preferable", but if you could use the whole runway ever time you land it's probably not necessary.

I have the Robart 4" wheels with the foam inserts, which are still pretty soft causing drag, so my 20 Lb (9Kg) B25 slows down pretty good on our smooth runway which is 500 ft. I usually don't land at the threshold like I should, but still manage to get slowed down before the end of the runway.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
elojim

ORIGINAL: CCFPILOT

elojim

That’s a pretty short runway, so I think it would be "preferable", but if you could use the whole runway ever time you land it's probably not necessary.

I have the Robart 4" wheels with the foam inserts, which are still pretty soft causing drag, so my 20 Lb (9Kg) B25 slows down pretty good on our smooth runway which is 500 ft. I usually don't land at the threshold like I should, but still manage to get slowed down before the end of the runway.
CCFPilot,

thanks for your answer.
Are you using the flaps everytime you're landing, and are they helpful to slown down the b25 ?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM
CCFPILOT

elojim

Yes, I use full flaps on landing. I have coupled 10% down elevator with the flaps, which may not be necessary, but my transmitter will allow it, so I programmed it in.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM
krproton

Occasionally, I use 1/2 flaps on takeoffe - specially in grass.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
elojim

Thanks a lot.

Krproton,

what do you think about the Top Flite B-25 "ARF" wheels and brake systems, glennis has just released ?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
RCGuy41

Just completed my TF B-25J Maiden flight was 08/09/2008, and she flew like a dream. Had to use half flaps since I'm flying off of grass that means I have no need for brakes. Since funding was a slight problem I installed two OS AX .46 2S engines with MAS 11X8 three bladed props and recommended Robart gear installed. During my build I found the main gear door lever bound on the rear of each main retract. My solution, take the brass bushing and screw out, reinstall the brass bushing between the frame and gear door lever, rinstall screw snug (but not binding the lever) reattach spring and gear door arms. The process has worked for me and wanted to pass on some of my ideas. Check out this website www.rcdon.com, Don has an incredible build with detailed pictures and captions of his TF B-25J.

Brad
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
RCGuy41

That darn coma the site is www.rcdon.com
Old 08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
toreo

ORIGINAL: elojim

Hi,

do you think i's preferable to have brakes on a (rough) runway about 100 meters long ?

thanks,

Emmanuel
I have only 150 meter runway. it is more than enogh runway for landing B25. With 100 meter you could be a little accuracy with point of landing, and everything will be ok. I use full down flaps. It very very well works.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Tim, et al,

I've been following this thread for six months now. There is a ton of great info and addition ideas/directions here. Great stuff. Unfortunatly I can't find a way in this forum to do serches in just a single thread and with it reaching close to 70 pages trying to find stuff I remember reading about is a task at best. Does anyone have a methode for searching this single thread ?

I started my B-25 about a week ago. It's progressing nicely. I'm using twin satio 72's. to start it off....

1. Has anyone here tried using the Slimline Pitts style muffler for side mounted saito's in this model (4007 I believe ) ?

2. At one point someone posted some Pictures that could be used as background for the top turrett and the back wall of the cockpit. Does anyone have a link for that post ??

3. Did anyone come - up with a definitive cure for the inadequacies of the robart nose gear ??

4. Has anyone here used the Du-Bro anti-vibration mount in this model ??

5. I've seen a lot of nice detailing here. Has top flite come out with matching paint this model ?

6. If you are painting on the monokote, what happens if it sags at some point and needs to be tightened up, can this be done without messing up the paint detail (weathering) job ??

7. Saw tons of post on the bomb bay and Tim seemed to be the resident expert (I miss his post ). Does anyone have a link for where to cut for the bomb bay ?

Sorry for the laundry list. I'm sure I'll have more later

thanks

Joel
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 PM
camdyson

Hi Joel,

I'm at work so will have to get back to you on the weekend, but:

I have the images for cockpit backing and top turret

Also have just received a pair of AWESOME pilots, both those and the artwork via Lyle Vasser

I added aluminium panels, plus penned panelling, paint (Humbrol enamels) airbrushed on, and have just clearcoated (sprayed satin polyurethane). I'll try a test re-shrink over the weekend

I did a bomb bay with lining and working doors - work great

Fitted gyro and retract safety switch, dual batteries and a few other extra bits and pieces.

I'll try to do a few photos and send you the relevant files/links later in the weekend - hope to back from a business trip Sunday night.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM
krproton

Hi Joel.

I'll try to answer some of your questions;

ORIGINAL: jdhughen

Tim, et al,

I've been following this thread for six months now. There is a ton of great info and addition ideas/directions here. Great stuff. Unfortunatly I can't find a way in this forum to do serches in just a single thread and with it reaching close to 70 pages trying to find stuff I remember reading about is a task at best. Does anyone have a methode for searching this single thread ?

I started my B-25 about a week ago. It's progressing nicely. I'm using twin satio 72's. to start it off....

1. Has anyone here tried using the Slimline Pitts style muffler for side mounted saito's in this model (4007 I believe ) ? Sorry Joel, don't know about this one.

2. At one point someone posted some Pictures that could be used as background for the top turrett and the back wall of the cockpit. Does anyone have a link for that post ?? That was another guy. I see he has replied.

3. Did anyone come - up with a definitive cure for the inadequacies of the robart nose gear ?? I haven't had any trouble with this (flying both off grass, pavement, and running off the pavement onto grass and vice versa). But I have read of others who have. I don't know if there is a difinitive fix, but just a page or two back there was something about hardening the pin (with heat, then quenching it) and using a rubber O-ring. If you read just a few pages back I think you can find it.

4. Has anyone here used the Du-Bro anti-vibration mount in this model ?? Don't know.

5. I've seen a lot of nice detailing here. Has top flite come out with matching paint this model ? The model you see in all the advertising, flying video, etc., was supplied to us un covered, so I had to paint and cover it my self (once we decided on a trim scheme). Of course, it is covered in Top Flite MonoKote and the paint is LustreKote. However, the paint match wasn't nearly as good as it is on the production models (one you get out of stock). On the show model, over time, the flat clear on upward-facing surfaces darkened severely (must be from the sun). Joel, if you want matching paint, I know many "scale guys" have had great results getting various brands/kinds of matching paint from paint stores. Take a piece of covering to a paint store and they can match it (I did that just yesterday for another project of mine). Try posting on another thread under scale models or something and I bet you'll get lots of advice about this.

6. If you are painting on the monokote, what happens if it sags at some point and needs to be tightened up, can this be done without messing up the paint detail (weathering) job ?? I don't like painting over MonoKote for that very reason. But some have had good luck with doing this. I guess you'll have to do a little research here to find out more.

7. Saw tons of post on the bomb bay and Tim seemed to be the resident expert (I miss his post ). Does anyone have a link for where to cut for the bomb bay ? Again, you'll have to search. Look for posts with pics first. Sorry. Maybe somebody else can help you on this one.

Sorry for the laundry list. I'm sure I'll have more later Not at all. Hope I helped some and can help more!

Tim

thanks

Joel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.