Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

ORIGINAL: Wild_CCR

I honestly don't ever remember seeing them before, anywhere. The ones that came with the cmp where the 1st of these type I have ever seen.
Could be wrong though. If Robart did make at one time, problems or no demand, would have made them dodo bird.
A Google search for Robart Horny Hinge comes up with lots of hits but I'll be damned If I can find a picture of one. I can't remember where I saw them now. The point is moot if they aren't produced anymore. []

Joe
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM
turbojoe

I finally found some Robart horny hinges today at the local Hobby Bench. They are part number 302. Nice and free moving. They seem pretty strong given the small 1/8" size. I'll feel much better using these.

Joe
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
geefish1

Almost finished with my Cessna. Had to add some weight to the nose. It was tail heavy with the power .46 motor and 4s thunderpower 5000. Hope to maiden it this weekend.

Geefish
Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
jorgy-Delta

Ahh haa, maybe I'll hunt around my LH's
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=399816]"horny hinge"[/link]

Thks for the part number joe!

I use Robart hinges (and horns)a lot, normal white glue or even canopy glue work very well on a a/c this size.
Just don't use ca, it makes them brittle and will break.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
turbojoe

Somebody scored a great deal on that hinge sale! I bought the Zap hinge glue that Robart recommends. Basically a wood glue with additives. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCX67&P=ML]Zap Hinge Glue[/link]. I agree that CA would be bad news on this type of hinges.

Joe
Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
turbojoe

I used the Robart 1/8" hinge points and the Zap hinge glue late last night on the elevators. I'm quite impressed. They're very securely attached and they operate super smooth. I had zero problems with installation. Well maybe not zero. Dopey me never really looked closely at or measured the hinge points that came in the CMP kit. I assumed they were 1/8" and that's the size Robart hinge points I ordered. It turns out the CMP's are 2.3mm or 3/32". That would be the Robart 1/2A hinge point equivalent. No problem at all. I had bought the Robart 50 point combo bag and it came with a super nice aluminum and steel hinge drilling jig. (kit part #311) I simply opened the existing holes up to 1/8" and I was ready to rock.
I've been in this hobby in one form or another since 1973. Can't believe I never tried these. I know they've been around for quite a few years. This is my new standard hinge!

Joe
Old 07-13-2008, 12:46 AM
jorgy-Delta

Ditto on the Robart hinges, the other standard is sullivan carbon rod. No need to make dead straight runs, easy to use & tough as nails.

I used the 1/8" also & the sullivan rod for the rudder- Kept the split elev thingy for now, but added a brace.
The tube is 7.8mm thick so a 8mm hole works great. keeps it from moving around too much but lets it slide easy. Just put a smear of soap on it to help slide
Irish spring works nice, but I just like smell- ivory ok i guess too
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
damon

tracon-

How did you synchronize your flaps with your radio. Did you "mix" them (master & slave)on the radio or did you hardwire both flaps with a y-harness?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tracon

y-harness
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
geefish1

Turbojoe,

I had my maiden flight last week. Had some minor damage on the first take off because I was worried about the power so I over compensated on the rudder a bit, but otherwise it flew great. And about your concern about underpower with 4s. forget it. The plane roared off the runway and flew gre
at at 75-80% power with my setup of e flite Power 46 motor and 4s flight power 4270 batteries.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
turbojoe

ORIGINAL: geefish1

Turbojoe,

I had my maiden flight last week. Had some minor damage on the first take off because I was worried about the power so I over compensated on the rudder a bit, but otherwise it flew great. And about your concern about underpower with 4s. forget it. The plane roared off the runway and flew gre
at at 75-80% power with my setup of e flite Power 46 motor and 4s flight power 4270 batteries.
Sorry to hear about the mishap. It's great to hear that there was no power issue though. I should be in good shape running 6S Li-Po then. I'll hold off building the A123 packs until I know I can get away with maybe a 5S2P pack of those cells. I got my motor mounted up tonight. I still need to cut about 1/4" off the mount cage so I can get the spinner back closer to the cowl. That 40mm motor sticks out there a ways. I'll try to get a chance to run it up this weekend and see what numbers it puts out. I'll use the Eagle Tree as it's probably more accurate than the Wattmeter.

Joe
Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
jorgy-Delta

I went one pc wing, y-harness on both ail&flap, wing side, 2x 6" extension on Rx side.
Only two wires to connect, don't have to fumble around Rx or move it and trust the wing a bit more too.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
turbojoe

Just curious why everyone wants to glue the wing together. The Sig Somethin' Extra uses cup hooks and a rubber band to hold the wing halves on and I never lost a wing on that high performance plane. The multi piece wing is a plus for me as I need the room when trying to carry several planes to the field. Have there been any failure reports? Again, I'm just curious.

Joe
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
jorgy-Delta

Mostly, just cause I like it that way, less pc's to cart around, less wires to fiddle with.
But I also just trust it more.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Tracon

Hi Wild...

Do I know you from the Chilliwack fly-in ???
Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
wuhouse
My Feedback: (4)

I got hold of a preowned CMPRO Cessna 46. The ex owner flew electric and crashed wrecking the firewall and needed a rebuilt which he didn't bother. I got the plane as a result. What I did was simply cut a piece of hard ply the size of the firewall and epoxy it down. I was using an SK 50 swinging a 13x4 prop. My initial CG was way back but what the heck I brought it off for a maiden flight and nearly crashed it! The plane just climbed so nose high that no amount of down elevator could compensate.

lucky I managed to make an emergency landing after a few heart wrenching spirals and wing dropping. The landing gear nose wire was a gonner and the firewall gave way. I guess the epoxy was not enough. This time round, I gave it a good layer of epoxy and hope it holds. I had an SK 90 so I made some adjustments and fitted the bigger engine in, after which I checked the CG this time round, it blances way better into the 65 mm mark. I have yet to bring this plane up. I hate puttingt in dead weight and for the start, I do not have so much weight. So I though the bigger engine would balance better. However, I have never overpower any plane by such a big extent. Do you folks think this plane would fly with an SK90?

I have also attached pics.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
jorgy-Delta

Hi Tracon, nope, never been out there, but I hear its great. Must make it out there one day. Nice pic's and layout of your website !
Sorry to take so long to reply, been on vacation

Just about finished this one, new Saito 56 going into it this week.
w/o engine its 5lb 6oz.
Was hoping to come in around 6.6, but will probably be closer to 7lbs, that tail seems heavy so far.

Nothing really bad to say about it, looks & finish are great, fit & design are pretty good. Just that cheap hrdwr.
I'd say, if you've put a few together and like to tinker/alter, this is a nice project, not a really quick build but nothing major to
speak of. It would be a great base to turn into something REALLY nice, that would last for years!
Mine is the "New Version 2007", had a seperate ademdum for the struts, so something must have changed from earlier designs?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
davidvalencia

Hello... I also just got this plane ... looks very nice......a friend of mine also got one using electric power....
apparently its a very hard plane to fly all over the sky...( does not make me feel go about it)

Have you had any experience with this model? hoew does it fly?
suggestions or recomendations are more than welcomed...I really like this plane....not sure what gas engine to use?

appraciate anyones feedback....!
Tx
Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 AM
lettucelord

I just ordered one of these cessnas, and was wondering if a .40 or .46 2 stroke would work? I dont want some overpowered monster like my twist .60 with its saito 125... hahaha... i want something that takes off scale, flies scale and lands scale. I tend to spend most of my time landing because I absolutely love it, and landing a twist over and over... well it gets a bit to easy. Also, should I mount the engine sideways to prevent ugly cowling modifications? Thanks a ton
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
jmupilot

Anyone know where I can get a replacement windshield and cowling for the 182? I had a stall spin and didnt fare to well.

Pete
Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM
turbojoe

ORIGINAL: jmupilot

Anyone know where I can get a replacement windshield and cowling for the 182? I had a stall spin and didnt fare to well.

Pete
Sorry to hear about the crash. [] Have you tried e-mailing NitroPlanes to see if they have any parts left?

Joe
Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
damon

Can anyone provide me with recommendations on the throws for all the control surfaces. Is the manual fairly accurate or did you use something else?

thanks.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 AM
damon

ORIGINAL: Blues.man5

At first look I thought that it would be perfect! But as I got to that point, found that with just the stock pipe the angle(about 120 degree) the angle would be great. The cyl head is a bit outboard and the pipe points inward a bit and with just the stock pipe it points to far inward and can't screw the muffler on without cutting the pocket out. By adding another 120 degree pipe to the end before putting the muffler on you can adjust it in and then down right in the pocket and the muffler will stick out the bottom of the pocket about 1 -1 1/2" and look great! You'll see when you get to that point. OS part #72109600 or tower #LXCB00 is what we need.
Good luck!
Blues.man,

Do you have any pics of the muffler with the added extension & how it fits in the pocket? Please let me know.

thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:32 PM
DSTIEBS

Hi Guys. I have read most if not all of the discussion and have a few questions that I hope some one can help with. I just bought the CMPro Cessna 182 50 kit and am debating on weather to bolt on a OS 56FS-a engine or the OS 81FS-a. There is only a 3 oz differance and a.3 differance in output. Will the OS 81FS-a fit inside the cowl without cutting also would the OS 56FS-a have the power for this plane. I would like to go with the 81FS-a because it has almost 1/3 more power with only 3 oz's more weight. Now I would like to put in the Nav and Landing lights. I don't want the Nav lights to flash together but opposit each other with a programable times for flashes. Any names will help. I am also going with the Robart hinges and steering yoke. Any other suggestions would help. Thanks. DSTIEBS.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM
damon

Recommendations on control throws? Please let me know.

thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.