Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Speed Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Edumakated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Speed Thread

ORIGINAL: SD2006

ORIGINAL: Edumakated

Bashing or racing? The 1515 1y on 6s will be blazing fast. 2200x22.2 volts = 48,840 rpms. That is about the same as the 1512 1.5d on 4s which is stupid fast. Believe me, you will not be disappointed. The 1515 is a great motor. You might need to tune the torque down a bit though. A 1512 can easily wheelie an rc8 and the 1515 is the standard size motor used in truggies so the car might be a bit over powered. I run my 1515 on 5s which is just 30,000 rpms so it doesn't feel as out of control as a higher rpm setup.
I don't plan on racing, so it'll be for (gentle) bashing. I figured I'd run a 4s battery for general playing around and a 6s for psycho speed runs. I like the layout of your car, a few questions....

1. What motor mount are you using?
2. What battery tray?
3. It looks like you've got Ofna 86505 tires. Do they balloon badly, how's the balance?
4. Where did you get 21 and 23 tooth pinions?
5. How well is the RC8 drivetrain handling all that power?

Thanks...
1) RC Product Designs motor mount. See www.rcproductdesigns.com
2) RC Monster battery tray custom sized for enerland and zippy cells.
3) The tires work great. They hardly balloon, even under extreme use. I did blow them off the rim, but I could glue them back on. Decent traction on asphalt.
4) RC Monster pinions
5) You will have to add an extra shim behind all of the gears in the center diff. It will blow out. The RC8 internal gears don't shim very tightly and can't handle the torque unless you put the extra shims in. The front and rear diffs are holding up just fine. Absolutely no problems after shimming the center diff. Without the shim, I had to replace the center diff pretty much after every two or three runs.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
SD2006

3) The tires work great. They hardly balloon, even under extreme use. I did blow them off the rim, but I could glue them back on. Decent traction on asphalt.
4) RC Monster pinions
5) You will have to add an extra shim behind all of the gears in the center diff. It will blow out. The RC8 internal gears don't shim very tightly and can't handle the torque unless you put the extra shims in. The front and rear diffs are holding up just fine. Absolutely no problems after shimming the center diff. Without the shim, I had to replace the center diff pretty much after every two or three runs.
Thanks for the info. A couple follow-up / additional questions-

1. Did you buy the EA8 motor mount (Part# DC-EA8-2)? The spot for the ESC looks slanted in your photos but the mfr's web site shows a flat ESC mounting surface.
5. Are you shimming the spiders and the outdrive gears? (6 extra shims)
7. I saw that RC-monster makes a motor mount, do you know of any pros / cons about it?
8. Are you running a plastic spur gear? I noticed RC Product designs has 46T "modified" spur gears, do you know how they differ from the standard Kyosho spur gears?

Thanks again...
Old 08-08-2008, 05:41 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: 1maxdude
Gotcha. Not going to rant about the virtues of lipos here, I did enough of that in that other thread. Sorry take down, 3 pages and still no pictures/videos/proof of any speed builds.
Good, I plan on getting some new Ni-Mhs, and making another speed pass with them.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Edumakated

4) RC Monster pinions
Thanks for the info. A couple follow-up / additional questions-

1. Did you buy the EA8 motor mount (Part# DC-EA8-2)? The spot for the ESC looks slanted in your photos but the mfr's web site shows a flat ESC mounting surface.
5. Are you shimming the spiders and the outdrive gears? (6 extra shims)
7. I saw that RC-monster makes a motor mount, do you know of any pros / cons about it?
8. Are you running a plastic spur gear? I noticed RC Product designs has 46T "modified" spur gears, do you know how they differ from the standard Kyosho spur gears?

Thanks again...
1. Yes that is the one I have. The top plate piece that the ESC sits on is angled downward for better center of gravity. The metal is pliable though, so you can make it flat if you
want.

5. Yes. See the FAQ section on the rcproductdesigns website. It explains what you have to do with the RC8 center diff. Basically you have to add one extra shim behind the four cross gears so there will be two on all four sides of the cross gears. The outdrive on the cup side has a total of three shims and the outdrive on the gear side has one shim.

7. I have the RC-Monster mount. It is a quality piece. The only downside to it is that depending on the motor you use, you may not be able to sit the motor close enough to the spur gear if you need small pinions. I think the smallest pinion you can use is a 15 without modification. You will also need a top plate to mount the ESC.

8. Yes, running the plastic spur gear from RCPD. I am not sure exactly how it is modified though. Works very well. Still running the original one I got 6 months ago. Howeer, you can use the stock hardened spur gears that come with the Rc8. You just need to use hardened mod1 pinions from rc-monster. The steel on steel is a bit noisy though. Not as bad as a nitro, but not nearly silent like the steel on plastic.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Edumakated

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

Finnally an E-RC8 I have not seen one of those yet. I bet it's fast with that motor you chose.
Did you whoop any nitro's with it yet?
The car would absolutely destroy a nitro in a straight line race. It isn't even a race. These brushless conversions with high RPM neu motors like the 1512 1.5d will get to 60 in about 2.5 seconds. The biggest challenge most of us have is making the cars slower for off road racing. The acceleration and torque is so extreme they can be hard to control even if you manage to tone the top end down. The acceleration is about 2-3x as fast as a nitro. Max torque at just 1 rpm which is the advantage electric has over nitro. You can clear big jumps with hardly any run up.

On the track though, all that power really isn't an advantage for the average driver. I race with the nitros and I generally finish in the middle of the pack. The car definitely smokes the top drivers in my area down the long straight aways. I don't care how fancy their engines are modded and who sponsors them. They can't hold a candle to it. But they always catch me in the turns and over the jumps. I am probably slightly above average for a driver. The bottomline is that brushless 1/8s are faster than nitros. Nitros really aren't in the same league. However, on a track it isn't about going fast, but the jumps and turns.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
SD2006

Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

Finnally an E-RC8 I have not seen one of those yet. I bet it's fast with that motor you chose.
Did you whoop any nitro's with it yet?
The car would absolutely destroy a nitro in a straight line race. It isn't even a race. These brushless conversions with high RPM neu motors like the 1512 1.5d will get to 60 in about 2.5 seconds. The biggest challenge most of us have is making the cars slower for off road racing. The acceleration and torque is so extreme they can be hard to control even if you manage to tone the top end down. The acceleration is about 2-3x as fast as a nitro. Max torque at just 1 rpm which is the advantage electric has over nitro. You can clear big jumps with hardly any run up.

On the track though, all that power really isn't an advantage for the average driver. I race with the nitros and I generally finish in the middle of the pack. The car definitely smokes the top drivers in my area down the long straight aways. I don't care how fancy their engines are modded and who sponsors them. They can't hold a candle to it. But they always catch me in the turns and over the jumps. I am probably slightly above average for a driver. The bottomline is that brushless 1/8s are faster than nitros. Nitros really aren't in the same league. However, on a track it isn't about going fast, but the jumps and turns.
That I am in definite agreement with.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

Yep, very well put.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

How fast do you think i could get my ext with waffle tires, sidewinder 4600, 3s lipo
Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 AM
SD2006

What is this random clumping of words trying to say?

"!Siganature your in it put, this read to time the took you if brushless pede"
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

read it backwards and the brushless pede is not part of it
Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM
rc monkey

ORIGINAL: Takedown

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

The 7700 isnt fair game for any motor really because it is total crap... The velineon would put up a fair fight for speed trails but torque its a straight win for the velineon.... LRP is a good company, I esspecially like the Sphere COMP ESC because I use to have one. Only downfall of it is that its sensored and underpowered.
I won't say it is junk, but it defiantly has a lack of torque. But it is good if you plan on running a 6 cell.
I just think the CM36s series motors are junk because they are terribly inefficient, run to hot and they definately lack torque... If your going to spend that much money on a motor do some research and get something worth your time and money. Such as Medusa's V1 series 36-50's. Their Neu 1509 knockoffs for $85.
I don't know if you had a bad childhood experience with one of Castle's motors but you might want to take a read through [link=http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11633&highlight=7700&page=4]this[/link] thread, especially post 50, before saying the CM36 motors are junk again
Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
SD2006

ORIGINAL: rc monkey

I don't know if you had a bad childhood experience with one of Castle's motors but you might want to take a read through [link=http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11633&highlight=7700&page=4]this[/link] thread, especially post 50, before saying the CM36 motors are junk again

I had a bad childhood experience when I tried a CM36 4600. It was a dog, my Lehner Basic XL 4200 will absolutely destroy it.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: rc monkey

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

The 7700 isnt fair game for any motor really because it is total crap... The velineon would put up a fair fight for speed trails but torque its a straight win for the velineon.... LRP is a good company, I esspecially like the Sphere COMP ESC because I use to have one. Only downfall of it is that its sensored and underpowered.
I won't say it is junk, but it defiantly has a lack of torque. But it is good if you plan on running a 6 cell.
I just think the CM36s series motors are junk because they are terribly inefficient, run to hot and they definately lack torque... If your going to spend that much money on a motor do some research and get something worth your time and money. Such as Medusa's V1 series 36-50's. Their Neu 1509 knockoffs for $85.
I read that awhile back. Im not saying Castle motors arent tough, im saying their not well built... They've got less overall windings which makes for less magnet rotating strength which means less torque and the windings are pretty low quality in my opinion compared to others which makes them not very adjustable with gearing and they heat up alot faster than all other motors Ive tried "including feigao". Ive had bad experiences with both the 6900 and the 4600 and will probably never use castle motrs again. For a couple extra bucks I say take a look into Medusa's "V2 36-50 series motors".
Old 08-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Lilredmachine

Well, moving along, I figured it was time for a new speed run car, so I present to you my work in progress.

It's an E-savage base with extended arms and chassis. Running shorty MT2 shock towers and truggy shocks brings the arms to level and 1/8th rally rims brings the ground clearence down to belly scraping.

The chassis is ready, just needs a Kershaw gear drive to center a big Neu down the middle with some high gearing and a tough tranny/some steel dogbones and cups, a high voltage controller and a couple of 4s lipos hanging either side of the TVPs and I reckon it'll be a serious contender for quickest MT. It'll be nowhere as near as powerful as that MMT that runs the huge numbers, but it's much lighter at just 3.7 kilos locked and loaded (brushed) than that 5 kilo beast. I think you'll agree it's looking pretty sick.

Now I just need some cash...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42919.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	1011498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23369.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	1011499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41111.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	1011500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51347.jpg
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	1011501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46450.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	1011502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg63416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1011503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd68497.jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1011504  
Old 08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
SD2006

Wow, that looks mean! If you can get Neu to ship you a motor you'll be in business.

In your post you referenced a "MMT that runs the huge numbers". What's that about?

Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Lilredmachine

There's an electric converted XTM MMT that looks like it's the worlds fastest at the moment. It runs a 1521 Neu on a 12s lipo setup and Turnigy 100a HV controller to return a genuine 80mph GPS reading. That's really, really fast for a 2 foot long heavy weight MT (The MMT is the big daddy of monster trucks, think CEN Genesis big).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERY9_TLF86M&feature=user

Last thing I heard they were attempting to shoehorn in a 1527 on 12s and gearing for the moon. There were also plans to fit twin 1527s and run 24s, god knows there's room for it on that chassis too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97841.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1011638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27813.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1011639  
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
SD2006

It looks like they need to work on aero and tires before upgrading the motor. I can't imagine they're using all the power of a Neu 1521 on 12s. 12s is crazy, 24s is completely ludicrous. My buggy did 86.8 mph on only 3s and it didn't even have a body.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Lilredmachine

Lol, indeed. That's why there is a certain charm in getting the unsuitable bulk of a large MT to get up to that speed in the first place. They went for the sheer power angle, I'm going for the clever design and efficiency angle.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
warheadforever

LOL they are using raw power to get it there, appose to aerodynamics......I like that. LOL
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM
SD2006

Huge motors and batteries are intriguing, but using massive power to compensate for a poorly set-up car is so caveman.

"I'll have the roasted Neu 1527 with the mango 24s lipo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZhUdMTRrcE

Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
warheadforever

"I'll have the roasted Neu 1527 with the mango 24s lipo."
LOL Yea.....that is 88.8 volts! [X(] That is massive!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Edumakated

It looks like they need to work on aero and tires before upgrading the motor. I can't imagine they're using all the power of a Neu 1521 on 12s. 12s is crazy, 24s is completely ludicrous. My buggy did 86.8 mph on only 3s and it didn't even have a body.

How the hell did you get to 86 mph on 3s in a buggy? That sounds far fetched. Even a Rustler VXL geared to the moon running a 3s 8000 can barely get to 75 mph. I have gotten my rc8 around 45ish on 3s with a 3300kv Neu 1512 1.5d.

My thing about these speed runs is that the car/truck should still be a car or truck. IMHO, speed claims aren't that impressive if you have modded the car beyond all recognition for aerodynamics and any practical use. I am impressed when you can just change the tires and take the car to the track. My buggy is pushing 70 mph and I still race it every weekend on a track.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Yep, the guy who owns that 12s MMT is JZEMaxx from the RC-Monster forums. I remember watching the build in progress. I think he started out with 8s. His plans to to 24s will be fine but he is still in the process of looking for a 24s ESC. I think the CC 200a 90v SHV ESC whenever it comes out will be perfect for the project. JZEMaxx also holds the record for the fastest stampede "81.1mph"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8_P_nkUCs I think he has plans to input more voltage into that aswell. He is looking to make a drag pede that goes 100mph. My rustler is only a couple of miles faster but still a stampede going 80mph is outrageous for sure.[X(]
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 PM
smaxx311

your car is to fast that is the only thing on the ground go that fast besides the one with 2 lipo packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.