Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Marine_S7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

In the manual it say’s what Pilot to use and how much to shorted him. Not a big deal the part number is in the book
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Marine_S7

Look in the ad for the weight; tower has it in their advertisement. I dont understant why the question the answer can
be found anywhere.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

The pilot called out in the manuel is a bad choice. GP has others that fit without carving them up. The weight will vary a bunch from one ARF to the other. The engine choice has a bunch to do with total weight too. Do you understand now?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has a Pilot, a heavy G-38 with Mag and Spring Start in the nose, guide wires added to the tail with a payload of weight in the tail to get it to balance. The Plane flys good, but I don't need to weigh it to know its heavy. There are so many different choices of engines anymore that flying weight can range from several pounds between the same Plane. I just judge by the way a Plane flys heavy, and the Giant Super Sportster seems to handle a bit of extra weight just fine. We are not talking about a 3D type Plane here. Its a good Sport Flyer and flys how I expect it to fly.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
jben

The reason I asked for the weights of the GSS's was for comparison purposes as I have not seen anyone else on this thread with the same engine that I installed on my GSS. I did see the manual's listed approximate weights for the GSS, and apologize for asking the question. If anyone is interested, my GSS weighs 15 lbs., and I added 6 ounces to the tail for balance.

On a lighter note; I maidened my GSS today. I made two short flights of about 6 minutes each, landing and checking the plane after each flight. The Fuji BT-34-EI was faultless, The first start consisted of closing the choke and pulling the engine through about 12 times to prime the Carburetor , I then opened the choke, turned on the ignition and the engine started on the third flip. After setting the throttle for low idle with the transmitter trim I checked different positions on the throttle. Their was no hesitation and the top end was much more than needed to sustain verticle flight. After the flights I played with methods for starting the engine. Hot starts required only one flip of the propeller, subsequent cold starts were made by closing the choke, pulling the engine through three turns, opening the choke and turning on the ignition, it usually started on the first flip and never took more than two.

James

This picture was taken after flights, had to stop flying because of approaching storm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62658.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	1008287  
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Marine_S7

My pilot is the GP one and I did have to shorten it up, I had to take off about 3/8 of an inch off the bottom not a big job.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
djmarch

Hello Jben
I have a Fuji 32 EI on my GSS and it flies extremely well. However, I cannot stop the idle with my trim tab. The throttle is completely closed but it still runs on ....
It is an extremely low idle but it still will not stop idling until I flip the manual kill switch. I do not have a remote kill but it should still stop with the throttle closed.
Do you or did you have any issues with stopping your Fuji 34 using the throttle trim tab?
Please advise

thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
frenchie79

I have a 32 EI and mine stops with no problem-something to check-Make sure your servo has the ability to pull it all the way closed, maybe your end point stops it. Maybe check your carbs throttle screw (the one that increases or decreases idle speed) take it off.
Please forgive me if you have done these things-their simple but sometimes over looked. The engine should cut off just closing the throttle-period.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
jben

Hi djmarch,

I'm assuming that you have removed the throttle stop screw, it is a large screw mounted on the carburetor with a spring and touches the tip of the throttle lever. If so, the next thing you need to try is adjusting the linkage from throttle to servo, again if you have done this and it still won't cut off, you may have to install a switch that will allow you to turn the ignition off from the radio. Most manufactures suggest that you install this type of switch or a servo that operates the choke, along with a fuselage mounted switch that you have. I use the Smart Fly Optical switch on all of my electronic ignition engines. Not only does it isolate the switch from close proximitie to the radio, it will automatically cut the engine should you lose power to the receiver. It also has a LED that you can mount on the fuselage that lights when the ignition is on. This LED is very bright and is easily seen in direct, bright sunlight. This switch also allows you to kill the engine at anytime simply by throwing a switch on you transmitter. Because of this switch, I have never tried to kill the engine with the trim on the transmitter.

Here is the link for Smart-Fly: http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm

James
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
djmarch

thanks for your input.
I investigated further and found my servo end point was slightly short of the needed travel to close the throttle.
thanks again, it should have occured to me, a seniors moment I suspect.

Regards
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM
frenchie79

No problem-happens to me all the time, Glad it worked, I need a check list covering all items for new plane setup. Just can't trust my memory. Had the GSS out last night, been playing with the velocity stack, turning the taper different directions, found it runs best opening into the wind. No wind and cool last evening so flights were outstanding.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Marine_S7

Awsome sport flying plane
Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
kenhiraihnl

after some knife-edge passes, humpty-bumps, and landing, spectators (kids, especially) get a kick out of my slimline pilot...super fun airplane...ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45707.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1010928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99189.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1010929  
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 AM
sterman2004

Thanks for al the great tips and sugestions by everyone, how do you think a Saito FG 36 would go in one? any ideas?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
eastkurt

Hi, I am using the Saito FG 36 in my GSS and IMHO it is a perfect combo.
Only had to add 100 gr (30 oz) of lead at the tail to get it balanced.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-aDP2LjXY]GSS and saito[/link]

Regards /Kurt

edit: my error, 100 gr is abt 3 oz, nothing else, sorry
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
frenchie79

"Only" thats almost 2lbs lead. May want to look at moving all batteries ectt. to the rear. MHO.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

I just got this plane and plan on building it this winter.....I plan to use a ZDZ 40 gas or a Saito 180....anyone have experience with either on this plane....opinions please...Thanks WC
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 AM
sterman2004

Thanks Kurt
It was either that or a 35cc mvvs, the saito engine instalation looks neat and they sound fantastic. Should be picking my plane up in the next couple of days.... cant wait. did you hace any problems with yours.
Thanks again
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
prr6100

I am in the process of putting together my Super Sportster, I am powering it with a G38, and would like to get the motor closer to the firewall due the nose heaviness, how big of wooden dowels should I use, 3/4" or 1", or don't use wooden ones at all and stick with the aluminum standoffs that were provided. Also, how large a reciever battery should I use, someone in my club advised at least 1800 milliamps, the G38 will use a mag at this time, electronic ignition later maybe, if dollars permit, thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
sterman2004

Hi prr6100
A reciver battery of 1800mah would be fine depending on the servos / receiver used, if you use digital servos they consume more power than an analogue. if you are using a 2.4ghz receiver I would defiantly use 5 cells instead of 4 and at least 2000mAh pack. Saying that an eneloop (sanyo cells) 2000mAh pack is about the same weight as an old 800mAh pack.try
Either way would definatly consider an eneloop pack try here http://www.eneloop.com.au/whatseneloop.html not sure about the USA, in Aus you can by these in just about any configuration you like with a JR or Futaba Plug. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:09 AM
eastkurt

ORIGINAL: sterman2004

Thanks Kurt
It was either that or a 35cc mvvs, the saito engine instalation looks neat and they sound fantastic. Should be picking my plane up in the next couple of days.... cant wait. did you hace any problems with yours.
Thanks again
This was one of the simplest installations that I have done. Minimum cutting in the cowl, lot of space in the belly for tank and radio and I used the supplied tank for housing the ignition system/battery.
To start the engine I prime by full throttle and six flips with ignition off. Throttle idle, ignition on and six flips and its running. This applies only to the first start of the day, after that a max of 2 flips and throttle idle will do the tric.
Have uploaded some pics to my profile just to show what it looks like (don´t know how to post it here).
Regards/Kurt

Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 AM
prr6100

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Hoghead385
My Feedback: (1)

My GSS is finally ready to maiden with Evo 35. Model balanced perfectly with SR 5 cell 2200 mounted halfway to the tail and the ignition battery at the wing hold down plate. Engine installation wasn't too bad, used H9 metal engine mount and added 3/4" ply to firewall. Waiting on Fay to fizzle out and I'll try to get her airborne!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
frabru

Hey guys. I have not read lately about any tail feathers failing lately. Is everyone reinforcing them now?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

I had the madien flight on my GSS today. Saito FG36 and both batteries at the rear location, just under the pilot. I flew without a cowl and had to add 1 1/2 oz at the tail;. When I put the cowl on I'll probably be adding a bit more. Plane flys like a dream and floats in so slow for landings. Total weight is 15 lbs. 1oz.
Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.