Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR DS890G Gyro Servo

Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
av8trbbv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR DS890G Gyro Servo

I was just wondering if any one else is having problems with the DS890g Servo? I bought the JR G770 3D Gyro & DS 890G Servo combo. The first servo fried out after about 20 to 30 flights. So I put a extra DS821 servo I had in it's place. That servo worked fine, but it is alot slower than the 890. I just had to turn down the gain to stop the tail wag, and it performed well until the replacement ds890g came back from JR. Now I put the new ds890g back in and this one fried out in about 6 flights. So, can anyone give some input to possible cause's, or is anyone else suffering the same loss. The first time it resulted in a crash, and a fix. This time I had a better time bringing
it in undamaged. When the tail lets go at 5 feet of the deck it gets pretty exciting. Thank god for throttle hold! The bottom of the servo was very hot. The servo would travel only to the left, but very slowly. Same deal on the first servo as well. I got the new servo, but no explaination.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM
wogman27

Default RE: JR DS890G Gyro Servo

I to had the exact same problem last Saturday. There are 10 guys at our field running the 770 and DS890G. It was only my 3rd flight on the servo and I am just learning how to fly helicopters. I was lucky I was just 2 feet of the ground when it went out. The bottom of the servo was very hot and it was moving slow. Another guy at the field said the exact same thing happened to him. Last night we were flying and another one failed the same way. As for me I will never run this servo again. I am considering the DS8900G. It’s coreless and has a heat sink, but given my lack of response from Horrizon I don’t know if I want to use there products anymore.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
wogman27

I finally talked to Horizon today. I think they will let me upgrade to the DS8900G. I know its overkill for a size 50 but if I don’t have faith in my servos I won’t fly.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
BB76V

i
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
av8trbbv

Thanks for the reply. I was just talking to my wife about seeing if they will upgrade me to the 8900g as well. Even if I have to pay the difference on the two I don't care. I feel the same about the servo's I put in my bird. We all payed a pretty penny for the gyro/servo, and we get poor quailty. Frustrating to say the least. I have the raptor 30v2. The 8900g does seem to be the dominat combo. I went with the advice of the hobby shop heli guy, that said the 890g set up was the best option. When they work, they work well, but when I'm inverted ten feet of the deck and the **** tail let's go, I just want to turn around wait for the sound of destruction. I put the spectrum ds821 back in. It works fine. It has twice the torque,but half the speed. Oh well, it keeps me flying at least. Until today when I was practicing auto's, and bang. Six hours later and she back up. Now I get to set it up all over. I love this hobby. I always wonder when I'll say I've crashed enough and quit, but that will never happen.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: wogman27

I finally talked to Horizon today. I think they will let me upgrade to the DS8900G. I know its overkill for a size 50 but if I don’t have faith in my servos I won’t fly.
DS8900G isn't overkill for a .50 - it's overkill for someone learning to hover. I know my Pantera 50 has the precision and agility to need the 770 and 8900 combo. I"ll be upgrading my 401/9254 soon!!!javascript:void(AddText('',''))
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 PM
BB76V

I had the same experience. The hobbie store wasn't willing to help out very much at first. I upgraded to the 8900g, I've had good luck since. No more fry out's. Try it out. The gyro and servo work great with each other.