Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aerowork Extra 260 DOA what do I do?

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aerowork Extra 260 DOA what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
ziomatrixacs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerowork Extra 260 DOA what do I do?

Hey guys, Time is real critical on this one. My buddy recommended that I order from AEROWORKS for their good prices and products. I just got the little electric Extra 260 in the mail via UPS and the brown outer box was bashed up so I had the UPS guy witness me open it. Upon opening the box, the inner white box was obviously damaged, and then I opened the box (no tape) and there was no padding in the box. The wing was smashed, and the covering ripped. I told the UPS guy I refuse to accept and he took it away, wrote "EXCEPTION" on the tracking site, and gave me a proof of damage note. I then called AEROWORKS and got a lady on the phone who said I should not have returned it, and that I should have taken pictures. Their website mentions NOTHING about this. It was too late, and was running out of cell phone minutes, so the lady said she would call UPS to tell them to send it back to my house and then she would call me back. The lady never called back, and I went to town.

EDIT: Rocco called at 6 and told me to send pictures of the damage to him. I have yet to get a response but it is a time zone shift so I wont chastize him on that.

I only have a few days to get this worked out. What do you guys recommend I do? This is my first time ordering from here, and if I send it back, I will loose $25 out of $100 (15% restocking fee + shipping) Plus I will be out of an airplane. If I order a new one and send this one back (like most companies do) my bank will over draft since I dont have the $$ to buy a new one! If I do what the lady said, she said it will take up to 2 weeks to 2 months to get a replacement.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aerowork Extra 260 DOA what do I do?

ziomatrixacs,

Not sure....if it were me I guess I would let UPS have it back and then stop payment on credit card and buy a plane elsewhere.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
reyn3545

I know its frustrating. AW is one of the best in terms of customer service. Give them a call in the morning, ask to speak to Rocco if he's available... just explain what's happened, and ask them what steps they would recommend to take next.

If you've got pictures that indicate poor packaging, shipping damages, etc.. they'll make it right.

I don't work for them, Heck I don't even own one of their planes anymore, but I've owned 4 of them previously, and they have ALWAYS been very accomodating when I 've had questions or issues.

Damage claims can be lengthy ordeals, so have a little patience. If you haven't fully opened the package yet.... don't. Wait until they advise you to do that (if they do)... and then document ALL damage or missing parts (the owners manual always has a list of included parts). Depending on the level of damage, they may want to ship you replacement parts or just ship the entire plane.. but they will make it right.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
reyn3545

ORIGINAL: Zippi

ziomatrixacs,

Not sure....if it were me I guess I would let UPS have it back and then stop payment on credit card and buy a plane elsewhere.
Generally, on damaged freight situations... if you refuse shipment, you could be out your money, or at least a restocking fee. You should accept it, noting any obvious damage on the freight bill. Aeroworks, depending on the level of damage, can then issue a UPS pick-up tag for the plane if they want to get it back into their warehouse. If they want to file a claim with UPS.... then UPS may want to pick the package up for their own inspection. Either way, the delivery has to be completed in order for a claim to be filed... I know, it sounds stupid. Maybe it is, but that's the system.

If the pictures show obvious packing deficiencies, chances are AW will replace the broken pieces, maybe the entire plane, and not issue a call-tag for the original return. It't would be just added expense to get a crushed plane back into their shop.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
ziomatrixacs

I edited my first post.

UPS came back and gave me the package, Rocco called and I took pictures and sent them to AW so I am just waiting now. I was worried that the package would get to AW and they would refuse it or something, I am glad that the lady called UPS and had them redeliver it. Kinda mad that I might have to pay S&H to send the thing back, I havnt opened any of the bags, just the main box which was not taped shut. (The box that the plane is, not the outer brown box)

It looks like just the wing is damaged, I hope they send a new wing atleast.

The parts are just bagged in plastic. No packing peanuts, nothing else. Just a double box and some plastic bags.

Its a big PITA , I dont have long distance on my home phone and its very costly to use a cellphone.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
reyn3545

Sounds like typical ARF packing... pieces are bagged in plastic, then taped to each other and to the box itself. its not unusual for the box itself to not be taped shut, but the outer cardboard box would certainly be. On the larger gas ARF's, they'll often put a thin sheet of ply between the outer and inner box.

If its just one wing damaged, and you've send the pictures... I would guess they'll ship you a new wing pretty quickly, assuming you've got some crushed wood. If its just ripped covering, they may ask you to just put a patch on it. I know.. you didn't pay for a plane with patches, but that's normal... I would guess that your damage is more severe than just monocote.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM
ziomatrixacs

just waiting on AW now..
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
MR G

Zio,

I believe that AW will take care of you. I have ordered from AW and have not had any damage airplane shipments but I do know that AW will not shaft their customers and have great customer service. Their good customer service keeps me coming back!!

MR G
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
chuck993

Sounds to me you didn't give AeroWorks a chance or UPS a chance to fix the problem...you need to give them a chance to rectify the situation vs. doing what Zippi said or having a heart attack...good luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
ziomatrixacs

PHEW
I sent several pictures of the plane to AW, and they said they are going to ship me a NEW plane today! I asked if I should ship the damaged plane back, and she said UPS will contact me. I forgot to ask when UPS will contact me for the plane. And I forgot to ask if UPS does not contact me, will I be charged for the new plane. Im flat out of cell minutes so I cant ask right now..doh! Its UPS so I dont think they will be calling for another few weeks.

So far AW has been very kind and helpful. I am moving into giant scale and I think I know a company that has some nice planes.

Now I see why UPS wanted to take the plane back both times. The first time the guy offered to take it back and was nice. The second time, he pretty much begged for me to give it to him and let UPS take care of it.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM
reyn3545

If UPS takes a plane back... the delivery is not completed. In essence, you refused it, so they can deliver it back to AW and charge them again for the shipping! Also, if AW filed a claim on it and its squarely in UPS' posession, they have the absolute authority to call it poor packing and refuse the claim. Its a little goofy, but even if its crushed flat, you should accept it and then call the shipper.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I am moving into giant scale and I think I know a company that has some nice planes.
You may want to consider putting some money in that empty bank account and getting a cell phone contract that doesn't have you counting minutes first. The second one isn't that important, but if you think your electric 260 is expensive you got a big wake-up call coming if you go "giant scale" - empty bank accounts don't support the giant scale addiction in the least. Best of luck...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
ziomatrixacs

You may want to consider putting some money in that empty bank account and getting a cell phone contract that doesn't have you counting minutes first. The second one isn't that important, but if you think your electric 260 is expensive you got a big wake-up call coming if you go "giant scale" - empty bank accounts don't support the giant scale addiction in the least. Best of luck...

No need to consider me ignorant of the price. I already have a chip hyde double vision, 8417's all around except on the rudder. I just need an engine.. Thinking of a used DL-50 or something. Flying season is over ...going to save up my pennies and nickles for one in a few months. The Extra 260 is expensive considering I could have a larger plane for a little more money.. I also rarely use the phone, only for local calls. I had to use my parents cell, and they didnt have that many minutes.

Any ways.. Ill wait till I get my new 260, then notify AW of its condition and ask what to do with the other 260. Its bashed to the point where I would have to rip all covering off, rebuild the wing, then trace the parts on to new balsa and build a new one.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

I am moving into giant scale and I think I know a company that has some nice planes.
Ain't that the truth![:'(] I will be purchacing my first AW Extra 260 (50cc red) today. It is used so sorry for no order from me for now. However it's quality will set the stage for future order possibilities. Oh and this will be my 3rd "giant scale" (1/4 scale or larger) plane in my hanger.... I could probably get a really nice used car for my kid for what I spend on these planes... Nahhh
Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
ziomatrixacs

Well, it has been well over enough time for them to send me a new plane... and no plane yet! no UPS phone call about the other plane either. Just called AW and the lady that handled me last time was not there and some guy said he would leave a message and call back later. [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM
ziomatrixacs

I just got a phone call from Mark at AW. They said they have no record what so ever that I even contacted AW about the damage!!! They know it was delivered and thats all! They supposedly sent a new plane today, and now they WANT the damaged plane back. So now I am out almost a month of time, cant return the plane or I get stiffed with a 15% restocking fee + $20 in shipping.

Stephani B. said that she was going to ship a new plane on 8/27/08 and never did. She had me CALL her instead of emailing me to tell me that she was shipping it. She also said that I keep the damaged plane!

I dont know about you guys but Stephani did NOT take care of me. She told me to wait for an airplane that was never shipped, did not keep a record that I even contacted them, and she told me to keep the damaged plane. Its sure a good thing that I did not open the plane or try to mess with it. Sounds like she was trying to stiff me.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

ziomatrixacs,
I would like to apologize for what has happened with your order. We have taken care of the issue and will be sending you a new plane tomorrow. UPS will be picking up the old plane from you soon.

Thank you,
Mark Dennis
Aeroworks
303-371-4222
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
ziomatrixacs

ORIGINAL: Mark Dennis

ziomatrixacs,
I would like to apologize for what has happened with your order. We have taken care of the issue and will be sending you a new plane tomorrow. UPS will be picking up the old plane from you soon.

Thank you,
Mark Dennis
Aeroworks
303-371-4222

Yes, the issue is closer to be resolved.
She instructed me to take pictures and send them to Rocco, which I did, and then I got an email saying to call her. I call her and she said she will ship a new plane and to keep the old one. But I would still like an explanation as to why Stephani told me I that I could keep the damaged Extra 260, and that she would mail a new one out on 8/27/08 but never did.
I assumed I was going to get a new plane last week but gave UPS some extra time since it was a holiday weekend. I just made the call to get a tracking number. Im lucky I did.. Im also glad I did not mess with the damaged 260 after Stephani told me to keep it, had I peeled the covering or something off, I would be screwed wouldnt I?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
ziomatrixacs

Well, I got a phone call and was told it shipped and I got a tracking number. Everyone was friendly, but Stephanie was the one who gave me a hard time. I still dont understand why she told me to hold on to the damaged plane and that she was going to ship one out that day. She may have forgot or was trying to get me to keep the damaged plane, waiting for an imaginary one to come. Doesnt matter now..
So now its really closer to being resolved. Ill see next week when I get the plane. If its in good condition, I might go back to AW in the future.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
ziomatrixacs

Well, the new plane is officially on its way off to a bad start. UPS already rescheduled it to be delivered 9/15/08 instead of this friday[:@]
I wish UPS would get their bearings together.. they damaged the plane twice and are making me wait another 3 days for something that should have been here 2-3 weeks ago..
Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 AM
ggroyal1

What happened to the new plane? Tell us you have a good ending to the story. I have the AW 50cc Extra 260 and it is the best of my three gas planes. The boxes were lined with plywood and everything was fine. My first plane from another vendor came with a broken canopy, UPS crushed the next four, they finally sent it by FEDX and it was OK.(H9 CAP232). I hope everything works out, Aero-Works planes are the best in my opinon.

Good Luck,

George G. Royal