Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Principles of Helicopter Flight W.J. Wagtendonk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Principles of Helicopter Flight W.J. Wagtendonk

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
ArtW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Principles of Helicopter Flight W.J. Wagtendonk

I have flown RC planes since the early 1970's and recently started flying helicopters. One of the things that has both improved my flying and reduced my crash rate is understanding the fundamentals of aircraft design and aerodynamics. I have done general aviation ground school and that improved my understanding of what an RC aircraft is really doing. In the RC helicopter world the two texts I have relied on are Ray's Authoritative Helicopter Manual and The Basics of Helicopters from Model Airplane News. But I would like to recommend a really fascinating heli book. The Principles of Helicopter Flight by W.J. Wagtendonk from the ASA press. There are a number of fundamental differences between RC and full scale helicopters that make RC helicopters fly better but understanding transitional lift, the appropriate way to auto, the effects of blade stall, cord wise and span wise blade balance, vibration analysis, wind, the effects of flying backwards on dynamic stability, vortex ring state really opened up my understanding of helicopter flight.

There are a number of things we do with RC helicopters that are fundamentally NOT done in full scale helicopters and understanding the principles of helicopter flight has been fascinating. I highly recommend the book, Principles of Helicopter Flight by W.J. Wagtendonk. If you really want to understand how a helicopter flies, how it should fly, and how to avoid it not flying when you expect it to fly, you should review this text.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Principles of Helicopter Flight W.J. Wagtendonk

Good stuff, thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
simmo8

i have found the same thing if you understand exactley how your aircraft works it will be much easier to teach your self to fly

simmo
Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
ArtW

I discovered this point when I learned to fly fixed wing aircraft. The RC pilots handbook by Model Airplane News saved a number of my planes. Fundamentally understanding stalls, landing techniques, tip stalls saved a lot of money and misery. The aerodynamics of helicopter flight are fundamentally more complex. For example, I didn't realize that a full scale helicopter is never supposed to hover between 25 and 500 feet off the ground. Or that is it considered extremely dangerous to make a vertical take off to altitude. Full scale helis really rely on transitional lift to fly. They also rely on it to auto.

The other extremely good aerodynamic book I have found is Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. It is denser and longer but if you want to understand why a delta wing plane lands the way it does. Or why a scale model jet lands poorly, or better yet, how to land a scale model jet, this book is fundamental to a both realistic chance of success and enjoying the aircraft. It also has a very detailed explanation of the differences between super sonic and sub-sonic flight and jet engines. It is looks like it was a collection of xeroxed notes from 1960 that has been used by every naval aviator for the last 45 years, but it an excellent source of information on how planes fly, don't fly, and how to avoid crashes. I had trouble landing my delta wing in wind sheer, I now fundamentally understand why and what to do about it. An excellent source on aerodynamics.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You're talking about the dead mans curve. Full scale operate a lot closer to their limits than we ever get with our models as far as power and performance are concerned.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM
ArtW

RC vehicles have more power and less weight. Our vehicles are vastly overpowered compared to full scale aircraft. That being said, I think that RC helicopters can have problems with engine failure and understanding transitional lift is profoundly important in autos. The other thing I noticed today is that RC helicopters can develop vortex ring state. I think I accidentally did this twice today and now that I understand the type of flying that causes it, the problem is vastly easier to understand and correct. If I didn't know what it was, how to avoid it, and how to correct it, the results would have been less pleasant. I like understanding what I am doing rather than hoping for the best.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
ksechler

Wagtendonk? Is that really the poor guys name. It sounds like a joke!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
qwerty3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that's the fellows real name - maybe of Dutch origin? But anyway, an excellent book - I have a copy, and have read, and re-read much of it. Granted, our models usually are over-powered enough that some situations don't apply (i.e. you can usually just 'power out' of a 'settling with power' situation) but the basic principles he explains DO apply.
Besides, I have this (pipe?) dream of someday flying a full-size heli