Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What engine to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What engine to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine to buy?

Hi, I've been reading up quite a bit on 1/2a stuff. I need some advise from the veterans on what engine to buy. I'd like to go with a small engine, possibly .049 or less but have full throttle control. I've seen the AP Wasp .061 with throttle control but have read mixed reviews on it. Is there something better, smaller? I've seen the PAW engine but those are expensive (also what does R/C version mean on their webiste?). Is there anything in between expensive and cheap but still reliable/lightweight/powerful? (Or is that just wishfull thinking?) If I do need to buy a PAW, any recommendations? Pros and cons of nitro vs. diesel?

Thanks guys, I look forward to joining you 1/2a'ers

-Entropy
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What engine to buy?

Well I just ordered (2) of the Hornet 061's. I have had good luck with the first one. I ran it on YS 20-20 fuel and it ran very well. The more I ran it the better it got. I had about 20 or so flights on it and it was running great. That is until the damn chain link fence jumped up and tore the carb off the case. I will order a new case so I will have (3) of them.

I have heard good things about the Thunder Tiger 07. I may end up getting one just to see how it runs.

Dru.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Entropy.......keep your eyes peeled at the auction sites for Norvels! Might as well get .061 instead of .049, there is a slight edge. The Norvel Big Mig is exactly what you are talking about.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Entropy

I just looked at the Norvel Big Mig and don't see a throttle arm on it. How do you control the throttle? Is it under the needle valve or something? What does the .061 Big Mig weigh?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
longdan

Some of the norvel big migs are throttled, some just have a fixed venturi. You need to get the r/c version with a throttle. I think they are called Norvel Big Mig .061 R/C.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
mikegordon10

They come in different versions. You want the RC version. There are some on the bay now.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Entropy

Right on, I think I found the right version...Part # NVLB6R [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/indextext/nvlb6r.html]http://www.sigmfg.com/indextext/nvlb6r.html[/link] Sweet, and it weighs a couple less grams than the AP Wasp. How's the power though?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
digital_trucker

The Norvels aren't made any more, call Sig before you place an order!. I've run an AP Wasp .061. Mine runs pretty well, now that it's broken in. Their throttles are somewhat iffy though, and there is no muffler to speak of. The clip-on thing jokingly referred to as a 'muffler' is barely adequate as an exhaust diverter. Until someone actually makes a decent .049 or .061 glow engine again (and the prospects aren't good) I'm going to PAW diesels.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Entropy

Yeah, I was reading your discussion about the whole quality 1/2a engine dilemma. Mixing diesel sound like a pain though. So you think PAW is the way to go? What about their nitro version engine? I did find the Norvel .061 Big Mig for sale at [link=http://www.kingrc.com/engines.htm#index]http://www.kingrc.com/engines.htm#index[/link] but I really want to make sure it's the version with the laminate coating on the cylinder and piston to increase engine power and reduce friction.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to mix diesel fuel in the states - you can order it direct from several sources Tower, Eric Clutton....

The Little PAW .33 RC is a very nice engine. For a first diesel you may want one a bit larger. Or get someone experienced to teach you the ropes.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some Norvel .061's for sale: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913791

He was selling them as a bunch, but is ready to piece them out.

Brian
Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
mylamo

PAWs are not very expensive at all whenyou consider that
a PAW of any size will wear out many many glow engines
of similar displacement.
Ralph
Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E, I have no experience with diesels but I sure wouldnt recomend one for your first small engine, or is this your first engine period?...what plane is it going on?...the thunder tiger .07 while heavier is the better throttled/muffled engine in the lower cost area...the wasps are a good engine in my experience but do take a few tanks to break in well...the carb control on the smaller engines tend to be of very short travel,,that is more of an on/off switch than a carb.......Rog
I might have a good used engine for you, tried to pm but the server is down, let me know if you are interested
I just noticed your from Utah, look up Toad, see if your near him, he is in Hurricaine, Utah and a genuine guru of 1/2 engines
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Remby

Both Norvel and Cox are now out of production. Cox only had a throttle ring, and the aftermarket throttle setups for the Tee Dee/Medallions. Norvels may be hard to get parts for, if not now for sure in the near future.

The AP Wasp is available, and the TT-07 as well. I would look into these for your needs.

The auctions will work as well if you have the needed time and funds.

I have not used a throttled 1/2a in the last 8 years myself, anything below 3/4 speed and it will not stay in the air, as far as I'm used to seeing.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
digital_trucker

My Q-Tee putters along great at 1/2 throttle or slightly lower, and goes like a greased piglet at full tilt. It really all depends on the plane the engine is in. If you have a high wing loading plane you'll need constant go.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
JohnAV8R

Thee are lots of used and new Cox .049s around.
Cox's web site did have an .049 for less than $10.

You will loose power with the muffler. A throttle is nice, but again you may be able to do without.

Moving up in size to an 0.11 or 1.8 cc the out of production Webra 1.8 Speedy is one of the finest engines I've ever used.
It has the power of a .15, excellent throttle, and is relatively easy on fuel (10%). If you want a diesel, look for the Webra .09 R/C.

The engine in the middle of the picture has a throttle and muffler, looks nice, but is twice the weight you expect.

PAW's are nice little engines and should be around for a long time. The diesel is very quite.

If you really are not sure what to get, perhaps try an electric, fly your plane, and if the power is ok, get a glow engine that will match the power.

What ever glow engine you get, make sure you can either get the glow heads, or an adapter to use standard short glow plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27349.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1020755  
Old 08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Entropy

Thanks for the help guys. I've had experience with larger glow engines before, specifically a .25 OS FX and a 1.80 Saito. This will be my first mini engine. I think I'm going to go with the Norvel .061 which I believe has heads available to go to a short glow plug. The plane hasn't been determined yet. I want to scratch build somehing but my go with a Herr Piper Cub. Maybe later I'll go with a PAW diesel.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Entropy

<snip>.......I think I'm going to go with the Norvel .061 which I believe has heads available to go to a short glow plug.
The NORVEL is an excellent choice (if you can find one), but I think you will be better satisfied with a Galbreath head/NELSON plug combination rather than the MECOA short plug head.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Entropy

Thanks for the info on the head/plug. Does anybody know what the difference between a Norvell .061 with the muffler output in the back and one that is in the front? I saw one that has the output in the back facing down, and the pressure tap in the middle facing up (which is what the all the picures I've seen have). Then the other has the output near the front of the muffler and facing up and the pressure tap is near the back facing up angled out about 45 degrees. They are both listed as the same engine, Big Mig .061 R/C.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97393.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1021231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61017.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1021232  
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
SST

The straight rear exhaust is from the pre-revlite days, and the head itself doesn't allow the use of a glow driver for starting. The revlite engines are the ones you want, and they'll accept the AP .061 glow plugs, so don't worry about availability. The turbo plug heads however, do simplify the spare glowplug situation...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Entropy

What do you mean by straight rear exhaust? They both look straight to me. So I want the one in the right picture, correct?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Toad

That exhaust end on that muffler can interchange to either end, it is your choice. The thing can rotate to point up or down and you can turn the muffler over if you want the nipple down and you can mount either end forward.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Entropy

Ok, that makes sense although there is a slight difference between the two in where the pressure tap comes out, the picture on the left it is more towards the center. But now that SST mentions it the head does look different. So I'm confused, which one is the newer one then?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Toad

The revlite is the newer version and the prefered one to get, it is in the picture on the left.
(they have a larger fin diameter and the cyl's are Brown to Black in color.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Remby

A second vote on the Galbreath/Nelson setup for the Norvel, can't go wrong with that combo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.