Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
dwilt72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

I started with the SuperCub as well. Now I have the Trojan and it flies really sweet. If you look at the Corsair, it is essentially the same plane. Looks like the same motor, battery, etc. I would think it would fly real similar. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
jerseyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

i ran the new deal past my girl but she liked the old one better...

the wind flipped me on approach and it went into the ground upside down... nothing a little epoxy cant fix

it looks like everything in the corsair is the same as the t28 so i'm thinking i should just get the pnp version... but for the extra hundred it might be worth it to go for the rtf and have 2 batteries, receivers, and tranmitters... i don't have a $200 trans/rec system that i'm working with...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
dwilt72

If you don't already have some type of spread spectrum radio, the RTF would probably be the way to go. I already have a Futaba FASST radio, so I'll go the PNP route. This is actually a pretty cool way to pick up a Spektrum radio in the process. Some planes/helis only throw in a limited version of the Spektrum radio. This appears to be a full functioning radio that can be used on up to 10 models.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
jerseyflyer

the one they offer is only for the one model according to spektrums website...

Specifications
# of Channels: 5
Modulation: DSM2
Band: 2.4GHz
Servos: N/A
Receiver: AR500 5CH Full Range Sport Receiver
Programming Features: Servo Reverse; Delta Wing; HI/LO rates
Model Memory: 1
Modes: Mode 2 (Mode 1 available)
Transmitter (Tx) Battery Type: AA Heavy-duty (not included), Alkaline(included) or Rechargeable (not included)
Experience Level: Beginner

i think i may still go with the rtf though just for the convience... or maybe i shouldn't and put the money into a transmitter/reciever system... this way i can save in the long run... hmmm...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
dwilt72

If the radio only works on the one plane, it may or may not be a good deal. I'm still going PNP. I can buy the FASST receiver and I already have the batteries and charger from my Trojan.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
jerseyflyer

yeah thats what i'm thinking... i don't have the reciever yet but i can get the spektrum dx6 for $179 and buy another battery... that way i'll have it for the next plane i decided to get and i can just get the PNP... then the question is how far am i going to go with this hobby and how long before the technology i have is well outdated...

ah decisions of the newbie...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
dwilt72

True, but it does help to stay in front of the curve...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
nikg

I hear what you are saying about the plane flying similar to the T-28 because of the systems it has, but what about the plane itself? It is a bit different especially because of those wings. Just waiting for people to get some and give real-world feedback.

As far as PNP or RTF, I would go RTF personally. I just think it is a great deal to get a lipo, charger, decent TX and RX for $100. Too good to pass up for me. I guess if you already had all this gear, though, then you wouldn't really need it. In the short time I've been in this hobby (mostly with trucks) I have learned that the pace of improvement lately is staggering. It's almost like computers; once you buy one it is obsolete a month later. But it does raise the question about what is really necessary and what we can live without. You can still have a lot of fun with low-tech equipment, but if you want the best performance out of RC then you'll have to pay for it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM
downunderdog

I guess the harder part is getting it back to the ground.
No, that happens every flight no matter what. Now getting it back to the ground undamaged is a different story! Almost every one of my flying sessions is followed by a glueing or taping session. Either I have too many batteries, or I have too little skill at flying.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
lowwpassjr

when i got my dx6 i thought it was a really nice piece of equipment and was the radio to have. six months later i decided to get a little fomie and wanted it to be as light as possible. So i had to buy a dx7 so i could use different recivers that were lighter. What i am trying to say is think ahead. If you are gona get real into this hobby dx7 is the way to go so far i havent had probs with mine. And it also has so many more mixes than a dx6 oor 6i and just so many nice featrues. So if you are going to get into this hobby i would get a dx7 just so you have to spend 200 less dollars in the long run.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
dwilt72

I agree. When I first got into the hobby, I was a bit overwhelmed by how much it cost to get started, planes, radios, engines, AMA membership, membership to local club, etc.... I went the cheap route and bought a Futaba four channel radio which was sufficient to fly my glow trainer. However, as I progressed and began to think about the next step, I realized I would be flying several planes and needed a radio that could store the trims, etc... I wish I had spent the extra bucks on a spread spectrum radio to begin with.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

About the DX5e,

No, the DX5e does not have any model memory, but that doesn't mean you can only fly one model with it. You can bind many receivers to the transmitter and use the same transmitter to fly multiple aircraft. The trick is that you won't have a computer memory storing all your trim settings, servo reversing, or mixing selection. It wasn't so long ago that everybody was subject to this restriction!

What you do in this case is, after flying each model and trimming it with the trim levers, you mechanically adjust all the linkages in your aircraft so that you can center or zero-out the trim levers on the transmitter. If you do this with all your models, and get lucky with installations that all have the servo reversing switches going the same way, you will have a minimum amount of trim adjustment required each time you switch to a new model.

I flew one of our test models again last night for the first time since before SEFF, and to me, it's 99% the airplane that the T-28 is. Very light, rock-solid stability, very honest flight characteristics out of the box. We have set the cg a little forward for some tastes just to make sure it's as solid as it can be for the less-experienced pilot. It grooves very well. It is a taildragger, so people will have to get used to that if they haven't flown one before. Other than that, to me it's pure fun.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 PM
dwilt72

I would have never made it in the old days!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
jerseyflyer

i don't know how far i'm gonna go with this hobby although it is fun and addicting... there aren't many planes that i want to fly so i think the rtf may still be the better bet in my case... i don't know how to adjust the servos and all that yet but i'm sure i can figure it out if i need to... if you see me start a thread on how to adjust servos you know what happened though...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
lowwpassjr

heres what i think. i know i aint buying yalls stuff but this is what i would do. i would buy a dx6i and a corsair pnp then buy another battery if you already have parkzone charger. that way if you decide to go further into this hobby(fomies, 3d planes, electric ducted fan,or even some nitro planes)you already have a radio that is capeable of flying these planes. plus if you want you can put a ar6100 in your t28 and only have to keep up with one radio when going to the flying field. and can fly at local parks worry free!!! just some ideas.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 PM
fixxin2fly
My Feedback: (10)

Great flying bent wing bird. Took a little getting used to the small differences from the Trojan to the Corsair but well worth the wait. Been flying for 2 days now and cant enough. Everyone wants to see it fly. You land and try to grab a soda or a bite to eat and undoubtedly someone else shows up and says "oh man you gotta take her up so I can see". Kudos to PZ another job well done
Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
phoenix426

Any body have one of these yet?

I saw them for sale this weekend at my local hobby store. $279 RTF & $179 PNP.

I have a DX6i and I was thinking that if the AR500 receiver in the Corsair will bind to my TX (which it should), then maybe I should get the RTF and then sell the DX5e TX and Parkzone lipo charger.
I think I could re-coup about $60 for the TX (keep the RX) and maybe get $20 for the charger. I saw the DX5e TX/RX selling on eBay for $99 + $10 shipping, so $60 for just the TX might be do-able.
If my theory is correct, I should come out about money ahead and still have the 1800mah battery to boot.

Or I guess I could buy the PNP version and just get a AR500 RX and avoid the hassle... hmmmm [sm=50_50.gif]

Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 PM
phoenix426

ORIGINAL: fixxin2fly

Great flying bent wing bird. Took a little getting used to the small differences from the Trojan to the Corsair but well worth the wait. Been flying for 2 days now and cant enough. Everyone wants to see it fly. You land and try to grab a soda or a bite to eat and undoubtedly someone else shows up and says "oh man you gotta take her up so I can see". Kudos to PZ another job well done

Which prop did you fly? The 3 or 2 blade?
The salesman at the local hobby stote today said he heard the 3 blade is too much and makes the plane roll to one side.
Sounds like BS to me. I haven't seen one fly in person yet, so I have no idea.

I'd be intrested to see how the 1020kv version of the E-Flite 480 would do vs. the stock 960kv?
The 1020 puts out more power, but is the exact same size and weight.

Dang, it's been out for 2 days and I'm already thinking of ways to modify it [sm=lol.gif]

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 AM
-Stevo-

phoenix426, I plan on doing pretty much the same thing. The way I see it, the AR500 Rx and the 1800mAh battery both list for $59.99. So, if I bought just the PnP to use with my DX7 I'd have to spend an extra $119.98 for just those two items when I could get the RTF version which comes with a 2.4g Tx, the Rx, a battery and a charger for just a $100.00 above the PnP price. $19.98 less and I get more... makes since to me [8D]
Maybe I'll donate the Tx to someone just getting into the hobby/sport.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM
astro1111

Can you tell us whether the DX5 has a plug to take a battery pack like the DX6/7 or can you charge the 8 alkies through a side charging port. I hate using 8 regular batteries on a tx because you never know what there energy level is.. I'll looking to order on this week. I'd like to get a DSM2 TX/rx cheap because I don't believe the AR500 is capable of binding with an older DX6. Correct?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 AM
-Stevo-

Not too sure if the DX5 can be fitted with a normal Tx type rechargeable battery... but, you can put AA type recargeable batteries in it. And from what I've seen, even in Tx's that use AA type batteries there is always a battery level indicator so you should be able to tell if you need recharge or get new batteries.
You are correct about the AR500. It uses the newer DSM2 modulation, the older DX6 Tx uses DSM1. If I'm not mistaken you can use a DSM1 Rx with a DSM2 Tx but not the other way around.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

...and to me, it's 99% the airplane that the T-28 is.
Hi David:
I have to ask, what is the 1% difference?

I am looking at either the T-28 or the F4U, and one of the deciding factors is which one is easier to fly...which one has more forgiving flight (and takeoff & landing) characteristics. It appears that the major differences are the wing shape and the landing gear. Which combo is more forgiving for a "green" pilot.

Any thoughts?

Rob
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: RTice

Hi David:

I am looking at either the T-28 or the F4U, and one of the deciding factors is which one is easier to fly...which one has more forgiving flight (and takeoff & landing) characteristics. It appears that the major differences are the wing shape and the landing gear. Which combo is more forgiving for a "green" pilot.

Any thoughts?

Rob

The fact that it's a taildragger and not a tricycle gear airplane, that's all.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
phoenix426

ORIGINAL: RTice

Hi David:

Any thoughts?

Rob

I wouldn't pick either for a "green" pilot.
I have seen the T-28 fly and it's not for a beginner in my opinion.
If you've flown some and feel comfortable with a high wing trainer type plane, then you're probably ok with either one.
If not, go with a Super Cub or a Cessna 182 or something similar.

If you are taking off and landing from a paved surface, then I would go with the T-28 because it has the more forgiving tri-cycle landing gear.
If you are flying at a grass field, then either plane will be fine because you'll want to remove the gear and install the skids for belly landing on the grass.
I don't think the landing gear on either one of these planes will handle grass very well.
The new F4U has a better radio (in my opinion) than the T-28. The F4U has the Spektrum DX5e vs. the T-28's Futaba 72mhz FM radio.
If it comes down to the choice of which is the better package with looks, hardware, etc... then I'd pick the F4U.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
cjg

I have invested in a DX6i for my SC and my T-28. However, I'm amazed at the people who almost imply that you can't fly an aircraft without the "best" (i.e. most expensive and up to date) equipment. (i.e. don't bother with a DX6i, spend the extra $150 and get nothing but the best, a DX7, etc). They almost imply that without the best you will be grounded, only have trouble flying, and will be disappointed at the waste of money. Remember this:

Just a few years ago there wasn't even such a thing as broad spectrum, and people flew RC aircraft succesfully and happily.

Before that there wasn't computer model memorys, and people flew RC aircraft successfully and happily.

I'm no dissing the best, and understand its advantages, but some people can't afford the best, and can do quite well with second best, or even good, used, but slightly out of date equipment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.