Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tapered-Bore Engine Break-in - Upgraded

Spit,

I called you a newbie because of the following:

1. You are new in this forum, with only (currently) 62 posts to your credit...

2. You behave like one... Stating "disadvantages" of castor oil, without bothering to show (or to look at...) the 'big picture'...

It is like someone saying he does not want a door installed in his flat, because the hinges occasionally make a screechy sound when they dry up...

Castor oil still is the definitive lubricant for methanol based fuels.

It offers better lubricity than most North American synthetic lubes (the Cooper Fuels Ester based lube, as well as Fuchs Aerosynth II/III and Aerosave and Motul Micro are its equals in that criterion, at somewhat lower percentages).

In high temperature protection, a synthetic lubricant that offers the same level as castor oil, still has not been invented and probably never will.

All currently available methanol soluble synthetic lubricants; whether from the USA, or from Europe, have a flash-point of 370-445ºF (187-229ºC) (MSDS)... Castor oil is way up there with a flash-point of 555ºF (291ºC).

If your engine is run hot enough for castor oil to gum-up and to carbon it, any and all traces of any type of synthetic lube would have evaporated, or gone up in smoke long ago. Zero extreme heat protection with synthetics!

Some synthetic oils (Klotz KL-100) are hygroscopic too (!!!), which may explain why they may not offer much corrosion protection either (bearings 'going south' rings a bell?).

So, it bothers you that castor oil makes your engine a bit dirtier, or a bit hotter running...

As I see it: So What???

It is much better if those beans are all pressed for their oil, for glow engine fuels, than if a small child eats one and dies from the ricin toxin it contains...

As to my lack of hospitality. I am never 'politically correct'...

If you come into this forum, waving such non-sense as your castor bean remarks, in several threads, you may never get to see my hospitable side...

Bruce (XJet),

Please take note of my remarks regarding synthetic lubricants, including Brian's.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was expecting some positive feedback and descusion into how ANY oil could increase engine temperature.
Thats easy, if you don't reset the needle, then putting more oil in the mix means less fuel is going in and that results in a leaner mixture.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM
mk1spitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you are appearing to have got out the right side of bed this morning and provide some slight humour in recent post.

There is an excellent post in the RCU fuels forum on, why synthetic fuel? I'm suprised you have not commented on it?

Have a read
Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
mk1spitfire

So in effect you are saying more oil, the richer you go? will that burn more fuel quicker?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM
f16man

Well in the boating world the engines simply will not stay together without castor , I belive that a marine glow engine will have the greatest loads put apon it and that speaks for itself, castor is a nessisary part of the lubrication.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

No, I am saying if you have more oil, you have less fuel in the mix, so you have to open up the needle, if you don't the engine will run hotter.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 AM
mk1spitfire

Yes, thats what im saying. The engine will run richer to accomodate less menthonol.

With the engine running richer it will eat more fuel so shorter engine run and run hotter
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM
DarZeelon

Isn't the Mk1 Spit with the 3-blade prop (also the SeaFire)?

If you read way back in this forum, you will learn that the needles in a glow engine actually control... the ignition timing.

Of course this is done indirectly, but in essence this is what it is.

The amount which determines the correct advance is not the total volume of the fuel, but rather the amounts of the combustible components of the fuel.

Let's say it is only methanol and oil, you would need significantly more total fuel, to have the same amount of methanol in the cylinder for correct combustion, with 25% oil, compared with just 12% oil.

The needles will need to be opened even further, since the high-oil fuel is thicker in consistency.

-

Let's try to keep the discussion here related to actual break-in of tapered-bore engines.

OK?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
mk1spitfire

I think the seafire was a much later version of the spitfire used on carriers. Not to be confused with seafury too.

Quetion 1 Is one type of oil better suited to tapered engines than ring engines?

Question 2 Is their truth that a very rich run in on abn/abc/abl engine can over compress the engine and damage it?

Question 3 Which engine requires more cooling, A ring or tampered?

Question 4 Which engine can produce more power a ring or tampered?

Question 5 Which engine has a longer life, ring or tapered?

Question 6 why cant you just run and go on a new tapered engine?, Has longetivity been lost?

Question 7 whats so special about os ax abl liner/pisten combination?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
jeffie8696

I looked it up in the Glossary to no avail, and I have to ask. What is ABL?
I am familiar with ABC, ABN, AAC etc but not that one. [] And could somebody update the glossary.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
mk1spitfire

ABL (Advanced Bimetallic Liner) uses two O.S.-developed alloys to provide a durable barrier between the brass liner and piston.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
jeffie8696

Cool , Thanks. Wonder what the alloys are. I have often wondered if a Titanium Dioxide coating on a piston in a brass liner would work. It works on my reloading dies.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

I think the seafire was a much later version of the spitfire used on carriers. Not to be confused with seafury too.

Quetion 1 Is one type of oil better suited to tapered engines than ring engines?

Either synthetic or castor or a blend works fine in either application. For most ABC/AAC/ABL ringless engines, keeping a bit of castor blended in the fuel provides a bit of extra protection (temp capability, viscosity and film strength) should you encounter an accidental lean or careless lean run or a temperature spike. For me personally, I run about 2-3% total castor oil (15% synth plus 2-3%) in my fuel. Its not enough to cause a mess or get in the way, but I know its there. I dont mix my own fuel, and most mfgs supply it this way. No issues running full synth like the heli fuel, cool power, or any other varient in an ABC engine. Just have to be careful.

Question 2 Is their truth that a very rich run in on abn/abc/abl engine can over compress the engine and damage it?

It will not damage the engine. If it gets that rich where it is going to over-compress and hydraulic lock, its not going to run. You are more likely to damage the engine with a starter if it is flooded. Key on the ABC engine is keeping the temperature up near operating temp during engine break-in (run-in). Beyond that, the throttle alone will create differences in cylinder temps, combustion temp and mixtures - which are acceptable.

You are burning fuel that is creating itself into mechanical power, sound and heat energy. The engines, running at the same energy input/output will tend to create the same heat, thus will tend to require similar cooling. Mechnical friction does not play much into the heat produced by the engine unless something is not working right.

Typically an ABC/AAC (ringless) engine can produce more power. It is capable of higher compression when designed properly. Its big advantage is the reducded piston drag (no ring) on the remainder of the power and intake strokes. Worth noting, that the oil plays a part here in providing some of the piston seal on an ABC engine during part of the stroke.

Both can last a very long time when properly taken care of. The piston of an AAC/ABC setup should not wear unless subjected to abuse (heat, lean, dirt, particles). The ring on a ringed engine does tend to wear, but should wear slowely if properly setup and lubricated. Typically the bearings are the first to go.

Question 6 why cant you just run and go on a new tapered engine?, Has longetivity been lost?

For most modern ABC/AAC/ABL designs, you can run it right out of the box. The piston fit is by design and machine, not by wear (like an older cast-iron piston for example). The run-in period is mainly to allow the rest of the engine rod, pin, piston bosses, bearings - to find their best fit before placing them under load and before getting the engine hot. A few cycles in temperature will do a bit of good for the piston/sleeve as well, mainly as they develop and optimize the seal for the rpm and temperatures they will see in operation. (if any wear occurs on the piston of a modern ringless engine, it is might be measured in the .0002" range - less than polishing). The run-in process allows the engine USER more of an opportunity to understand the engine, its baseline performance, rpm ranges, all under controlled conditions. So in that respect, it should not be skipped. A ring engine does require a bit of physical fit-up - but there too, most modern designs are fabricated with tolerances that are much better than 20-30 years ago.

They just use a different combination of materials for the liner. Its not necessarilty cheaper or less/more effective. Heat transfer is actually pretty good, and the manufacturing tolerances can be held effectively. The ABL process is still ABN, but basically they use two layers of nickle alloy. One alloy bonds well to the sleeve material but is softer (if it were paint, would be considered a primer). The second layer is extra hard nickle alloy that tends not to bond well to other metals, but bonds just well to the first layer of nickle. Resulting performance and durability seems to be very good. In a world where Chrome and the process is sometimes considered hazardous waste and dangerous material, the ABN/ABL approach is a good alternative toward meeting RoHS and other world environmental standards.

I hope this is helpful......

Bob Brassell

Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Motorboy

ABL (Advanced Bimetallic Liner) uses two O.S.-developed alloys to provide a durable barrier between the brass liner and piston.
In fact, the layer has been peeled of ABL sleeve, also not a improvement.. but it is another history.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Either synthetic or castor or a blend works fine in either application. For most ABC/AAC/ABL ringless engines, keeping a bit of castor blended in the fuel provides a bit of extra protection (temp capability, viscosity and film strength) should you encounter an accidental lean or careless lean run or a temperature spike. For me personally, I run about 2-3% total castor oil (15% synth plus 2-3%) in my fuel. Its not enough to cause a mess or get in the way, but I know its there. I dont mix my own fuel, and most mfgs supply it this way. No issues running full synth like the heli fuel, cool power, or any other varient in an ABC engine. Just have to be careful.

It will not damage the engine. If it gets that rich where it is going to over-compress and hydraulic lock, its not going to run. You are more likely to damage the engine with a starter if it is flooded. Key on the ABC engine is keeping the temperature up near operating temp during engine break-in (run-in). Beyond that, the throttle alone will create differences in cylinder temps, combustion temp and mixtures - which are acceptable.

You are burning fuel that is creating itself into mechanical power, sound and heat energy. The engines, running at the same energy input/output will tend to create the same heat, thus will tend to require similar cooling. Mechnical friction does not play much into the heat produced by the engine unless something is not working right.

Typically an ABC/AAC (ringless) engine can produce more power. It is capable of higher compression when designed properly. Its big advantage is the reducded piston drag (no ring) on the remainder of the power and intake strokes. Worth noting, that the oil plays a part here in providing some of the piston seal on an ABC engine during part of the stroke.

Both can last a very long time when properly taken care of. The piston of an AAC/ABC setup should not wear unless subjected to abuse (heat, lean, dirt, particles). The ring on a ringed engine does tend to wear, but should wear slowely if properly setup and lubricated. Typically the bearings are the first to go.

For most modern ABC/AAC/ABL designs, you can run it right out of the box. The piston fit is by design and machine, not by wear (like an older cast-iron piston for example). The run-in period is mainly to allow the rest of the engine rod, pin, piston bosses, bearings - to find their best fit before placing them under load and before getting the engine hot. A few cycles in temperature will do a bit of good for the piston/sleeve as well, mainly as they develop and optimize the seal for the rpm and temperatures they will see in operation. (if any wear occurs on the piston of a modern ringless engine, it is might be measured in the .0002" range - less than polishing). The run-in process allows the engine USER more of an opportunity to understand the engine, its baseline performance, rpm ranges, all under controlled conditions. So in that respect, it should not be skipped. A ring engine does require a bit of physical fit-up - but there too, most modern designs are fabricated with tolerances that are much better than 20-30 years ago.

They just use a different combination of materials for the liner. Its not necessarilty cheaper or less/more effective. Heat transfer is actually pretty good, and the manufacturing tolerances can be held effectively. The ABL process is still ABN, but basically they use two layers of nickle alloy. One alloy bonds well to the sleeve material but is softer (if it were paint, would be considered a primer). The second layer is extra hard nickle alloy that tends not to bond well to other metals, but bonds just well to the first layer of nickle. Resulting performance and durability seems to be very good. In a world where Chrome and the process is sometimes considered hazardous waste and dangerous material, the ABN/ABL approach is a good alternative toward meeting RoHS and other world environmental standards.

I hope this is helpful......

Bob Brassell

You are ALLWAYS helpful Bob. A truly outstanding concise infomative reply. You are a legend. Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
DarZeelon

Spit,

Bob did a pretty good job of replying to your questions...

In most things we see eye-to-eye and he's much more experience than I.

Tapered-bore (not tempered, as you wrote) describes ABC/ABN/ABL/AAC and plasma-ceramic engines.

Please read the first post in this thread to better acquaint yourself with the terms.

ABL is OS' name for Advanced Bi-metallic Liner...

It is OS 'jive' for ABN, but with a proper copper flash-coat applied to the brass, before electro-less nickel is applied to it.

It does make the nickel bond better, but still not as well as chromium (ABC).

As to engine type, currently there is little choice...

In the far past you could choose between the ringed and the ABC version of many engines.
Most of today's engines are of one type only, with tapered-bores taking most small sizes and mostly large engines having rings (not Super Tigre).

Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM
mk1spitfire

Why do not car engines not use this abc/abn/abl technology? or do they

I think i wrote tampered and not tempered but should have been tapered!!!!!!!! Doh
Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

sometimes we tamper with engines too
Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
jeffie8696

Tapered bore technology does not lend itself to mass production well. Also tapered bore engines require upper cylinder lubrication like a weed eater therefor emissions control would be a nightmare. [] Among other reasons
Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Mr Cox

Same, same, one often has to tamper with ill tempered tapered engines anyway...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
jeffie8696

I haven't tampered with an engine in a while. My TT GP42 turned out well ,"tampered with".
Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
liquid_TR

I guess you mean full scale 4 stroke multi cylinder engines with oil sumps. These engines have an oil sump underneath the crankshaft and get their lubrication oil pump. Since you dont want to burn any oil, there are oil retaining rings after the compression rings on the piston. these help to provide a fine layer of oil film to lubricate the liner wall and wipe it off before the compression ring. A ringless design wouldnt wipe the cylinder wall.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM
mk1spitfire

I'm tempted not to tamper with my tapered engine and tempt fate
Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
mk1spitfire

ahh that makes sense large scale applications.

Ok, would 4stroke model motors benefit from abc/abn/abl technolgy. How come they stick to rings?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Motorboy

Why do not car engines not use this abc/abn/abl technology? or do they
Close tolerance in the car engine as in model engines are not possible of practical causes, instead we has piston rings and aluminium piston with big clearance to expand more by heat of combustion in a engine block of cast iron or in cast iron sleeve in aluminium block. It cost very much to have chrome/nickle layer in the cylinderwall.

Instead we has chrome plated pistonring in upper ring groove of all three rings in the car engines. It will last longer with chrome plated ring since there are poor lubricate in upper piston ring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.