Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Carden repair question?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
arizzo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden repair question?

I have a 35% Carden Extra. I paid to have it built a couple of years ago and then stopped flying for awhile. I am starting to get my act together and finish it but have discovered a problem. The builder(who otherwise did a good job) forgot to install the 3/8 ply plates in the fuse for the stab L brackets. I called Denis and he advised positioning the pieces back there temporarily glued to a long stick while the epoxy dries. I tried this and I am much too damn clumsy to do it right.

I see alot of guys in build threads cutting sections of the bottom deck to save weight. My question is, If I were to cut out an oval opening in the rear of the bottom decking of an already framed up airplane, would I compromise the strength of the structure?

THANKS.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carden repair question?

Not really........ I've owned a couple of the 35% 330's. I fly the snot out of them. I had my most recent bird lightened in the tail. But we didn't take anything out of the belly pan. I did, however, replace my tailwheel assy. from the Ohio SuperStar Haigh style t/w to the RC Blimp Haigh. I had to install a new chunk of ply for the assy. What I did was this....... I cut a rectangular piece out of the 1/4" sheet on the bottom. Enough room to get in there and install the ply for my tailwheel assy. I could see where my builder installed the L bracket hardpoints. I just glued the wood back in, and recovered.