Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters - Aero Express crash

Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters - Aero Express crash

Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters - Aero Express crash

I attended today the second Battle of the bay in Patchogue NY along with a few other RC boaters from the area. Was some fantastic racing that was tragicly cut short with the crash of one of the Class 1 cats. She was racing against the Miss Geico and running very hard. I have read reports of 90mph but I know I saw her running much faster (140+) moments before.

Sincere sorrow at the loss of two more boaters doing what they loved. They will not soon be forgotten.

Here is the story.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6347901

Here is the story in my pictures including seconds before and seconds after the crash - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/aeroexpress
(Click thumbnails for larger image - click ORIGINAL link below image for full size (10mp) image)

([link=http://photos.imageevent.com/justaddwata/aeroexpress/IMG_2148.JPG]Link to large image[/link])

Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters

Hi Matt

It was a very sad end to a very nice day . From the looks of your pic's, you must have been close to where I was .
My pic's look about the same as yours.
Sorry I missed you, I looked for Chris's boat but as you know there was alot of boats there.

My Thoughts to the families and friends of the Aero Express Team .

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26193.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1018870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91919.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1018871  
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
wayfastwhitey440

Default RE: Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters - Aero Express crash

hey Justaddwata i was looking at your pics on your other post. the one pic with the center console in front of miss geico is me and my dad lol i was wondering if you send me the pick some how thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
wayfastwhitey440

Default RE: Sad day on the bay - moment of silence for 2 lost boaters - Aero Express crash

Justaddwata let me know if you go my pm it said it sent but it did not show up in my sent pm box
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Justaddwata

Responded to e-mail and Pmail just now
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Matt, any update on what the cause of the crash was? From what I gathered it might have been either water conditions or a mechanical failure.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Justaddwata

Hi Ron, I have not seen much in the way of updates.

I did find a few articles but nothing specific for why the boat flipped.

Dejana and Graff's boat was at least 3 years old, crew members said. Several experts, including Billy Frenz, executive director of the National Powerboat Association, said a boat with a newer canopy would have likely withstood the crash.

Frenz said the crash "really shouldn't have happened" under modern safety standards. "It's the last thing you ever want to see," said Ed Smith, president of the Brick, N.J.-based Offshore Performance Association.

Det. Sgt. Bryan McMenemy said county police are inspecting the boat for mechanical failure to try to get an idea of what caused the accident.

The exact cause of death for both men is pending a medical examiner's report, he said.

McMenemy confirmed that the windows on the boat's canopy collapsed from the force of the water.

"When the window collapsed, the water was able to enter the cabin and went throughout their boat," he said.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/su...,7557411.story

Newsday is the local Long Island paper and has a few other articles - http://www.newsday.com/topic/travel/...RA000017.topic
Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Ultimate48

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Matt, any update on what the cause of the crash was? From what I gathered it might have been either water conditions or a mechanical failure.

Hi Ron

I'm on a real scale boating site. I got to know a few people that live on Long Island that know the team and this is what I know.
The front cockpit roll bar was removed a few races ago. It was blocking the drivers view and he asked the team to remove it .
What caused the boat to flip was water conditions and speed . As you know from racing it can happen!

The driver and throttle man died from broken necks and many other injuries.
My Condolences to family and friends Aero Express Team.

Steve
Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
grimreeper621

my uncle was Kevin"Nascar" Graff, the driver of the boat, and both of them died from broken necks. i was actually on my way to the race with my dad when my aunt called us and told us there was an accident so we went straight to the hospital. Justaddwata could u send me the pictures u have of the boat by any chance? R.I.P. Uncle Kevin and Phil