Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

*Airtronics RD8000 2.4 GHz*

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
zertsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Airtronics RD8000 2.4 GHz*

i would think that velcro would give you some vibration isolation if that is all that is used. if you follow up the velco with a zip tie around the whole lot, then you have just increased your vibration.

now is velcro alone better that latex foam and a zip tie? dunno.. i do know that i use velcro only to attach some batteries to some of my smaller planes, and the battery is heavy enough to let go in a hefty crash. maybe the rx is light enough, the velcro will not let go. i guess time will tell.

as usual i have shared some electrons with out imparting any wisdom at all. someone should take this keyboard away from me!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just won a pattern contest with this radio No problems whatsoever, but after reading this thread I did charge my battery a bit more often.

Thanks Airtronics, and Mike! You guys got a real keeper, and for only $229 with two receivers!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

It is a very cool radio, isn't it?? And what you get for the price is mind bending compared to the other manufacturers. Plus, except for a couple of reported situations <unfortunately airplanes were lost> we don't seem to have any of the weird problems that have cropped up for the other manufactuers. Airtronics has delivered exactly what they told us it would be. Btw, this is my first Airtronics radio and I am very impressed with how easy it is to use the intuitive programming.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
djlyon

Per my previous post (977) I made a comparison of the no load decay characteristics of the 700mah battery in one of my RDS8000 and old 600mah battery from one of my RD6000s. In this comparison I only used the RDS8000 to check voltage and the empty/full bar for the first 72 hrs. Both batteries were fully to start with the Airtronics wall charger that came with the RDS8000

600mah battery 700mah battery
start 11.1v F 10.8v F
2.5 hrs 10.7v F 10.2v F
24hrs 10.4v F 9.7v 3/5F
36hrs 10.4v F 9.8v 4/5F
52hrs 10.3v F 9.6v 3/4F
72hrs 10.3v F 9.5v 2/5F

Load tested at approximately 250ma. The RDS8000 draws 190ma

10.5v 9.4v

Discharged both batteries on a Triton charger at 300ma down to 8v, 1v per cell. The remaining capacity was

535mah 128mah

I have never observed nicds to have such a short charge storage life. I haven't observed batteries doing this since the nimhs of 20 to 25 years ago.
I did not test the battery from my other RDS8000 because my son is using it while his RDS8000 is at Airtronics being repaired. However during my use of it, it seemed to me that it's battery had the same quick charge decay while not in use.
The RDS 8000 operator manuel says the low voltage alarm will turn on when the battery drops below 9.5 volts. I tested this on my transmitter and found that it came on below 9.2volts. It turned on when the voltage went in one step from 9.2 to 9.0. Before running the decay test I checked the 700 mah battery for capacity 2hrs after fully charging it. Capacity was 650 mah

Again I am not saying these batteries are defective. But they are very different.

I should add that in June I used this transmitter and battery pack in a pylon race. It had been removed from the charger about 12 hrs before I flew the first heat. After 10 heats that day the voltage had just dropped to 9.6 volts.

Denis

Geez I wish this forum wouldn't take all my spaces out. Hope you can read it.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
djlyon

I have these receivers installed in 5 pylon racers with Velcro to 1/4 in. firm foam and that in turn Velcro'ed to the bottom of the fuselage. This is a serious vibration environment with the engines turning 19500 on the ground to 21000 in the air. Absolutely no problems and rock solid performance with lots and lots of flights.

Denis
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
MikeGreenshields

Dennis. THANK YOU! for that effort. Obviously you put a lot of time and effort into understanding and educating everyone here. I like it a lot!

The batteries do not retain their charge in storage like some other batteries. I experienced that too.

I am very glad to see, however, that when charged the night before, they are working properly at the field. We use the radio daily in Customer service and have found so far that we have not had to replace any packs. We have 3 radios..

And again, if you feel your battery is not holding a charge, send it back. There is a warranty and we have it so that you never feel unsupported.

gaRCfield: Congratuations. Can you email me a picture of you with your radio and plane and the who what when of the contest? [email protected]??

Crazy8's. and everyone.. You guys make my day. I have to say. I forwarded your comments to the President and Vice President of our company. Those comments are really really appreciated. THANK YOU.

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks, Mike. I'll continue to focus more on vibration isolation than on temperature.

Keep trying, zertsman. Some good will eventually come of it
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
RCGeckoman

Sounds good. I looked at my Tx on Saturday, having not charged it since the previousSunday, the voltage was 10.1v. Charged it on the standard wall wart charger to 11.3v for Sunday. Flew two flights and some ground work for setup before the flights, came home with 10.3v once more. I'll look again tonight to see what the voltage has dropped to.

Whatever is in my tx seems to hold it's charge ok over time. No worse than any of my other radios anyway, Futaba and Airtronics.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Pete737

Mike,

I received my TX today. The rudder is fine thank you. I am still however having an issue with my elevator. On certain models I don't have any control with stick input. Only switching my CMIX switch moves the surface from full up to full down. I included in my letter this problem, I'm curious as to why it was not addressed.

Right now all models except 1, 3 and 4 behave this way. I was on the phone with Jack today and he's looking into it.

All of my Cmixes are zeroed out.... Any ideas?

Pete
Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
MikeGreenshields

It doesn't make sense to have two people walking through it with you. Jack knows more about the radio than anyone so if it is a program that is simply turned on, he can walk through the programming with you to make sure everything is off. There's lots of different ways to turn off a function like epa, dual rate, one of the pre-programmed mixes like throttle/elev or elev/flap. Maybe one of those was turned on while Minh was checking the radio.

When Minh checks the radios he checks all the channels for basic operation. He's human so I guess he could of made a mistake but since he's a technician with 20 years experience it certainly isn't due to lack of knowledge.

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Pete737

Ok.

I played around with it with Jack on the phone assisting. I have found a multitude of different problems.

Only certain models work (or seem to) properly. I am randomly running into unresponsive commands. I cannot adjust elevator EPA for any models. The throttle channel will not reverse. CMIX switching sporadically moves the elevator surface. Rudder also ran away to the left during aileron commands. These are only a few of the contingencies that I took note of. There were several others. He and I are convinced this unit is "buggy".

I no longer trust this (particular) radio. Jack recommends a replacement radio......... I expect one.

I will ship back to you tonight. Please do not send this unit back to me.

Pete
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
MikeGreenshields

I sent you an email about it. But clearly it's not "buggy", it has suffered some sort of computer problem. Just like any computer there's programming in it and if something goes wrong somewhere else in the radio, it can cause the computer problems. Essentially the programming is corrupted.

So, if they initially messed up a wire or pot or something or one failed prematurely that resulted in a short on the pot or PC board, that's a wire that essentially is connected directly to the computer. Shorting anything on a pc board that is connected to a computer is typically "bad" (which is why you need to be really careful and make sure the battery is disconnected if you ever need to pop the case open.)

Anyway, it does seem that this has happened and if so, the only safe solution, as you said, is to replace the radio.

I will be looking at it with Minh when it gets back.

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

I am also having some battery problems as well. I swaped to a new larger NiMh pack. If the transmitter is off the charge the new pack goes down to the alarm in about three days. I am wondering if the wall wart is not completely charging the pack and also if thier is some currnet being drawn with the transmitter off. The new pack test fine with my triton charger (multiple cycles). Also I have never seen any voltage above about 10.5 with two different wall warts. I have a couple of older airtraonic radios.

I am planning on hooking a my wattmeter between the battery and the transmitter to see about current draw both on and off. The new pack is the same I have used in my Futuba and Hitech. These packs last months if not used. THis is a strange problem. Is it possible that the diode in the charging circuit is bad and not letting the the full voltage from the wall wart charge the battery?

BTW I really like the radio witht he exception of the battery issue.

Rod
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
djlyon

The results I reported above are with the battery not installed in the radio accept during the few seconds to get the numbers. But I had previously established that the rapid decay was not associated with being installed in the radio. Also I had previously established before running this test that it was not associated with the wall wart, or rapid charging. It is the battery and may be associated with changes in battery chemistry to help the environment but I don't know nor pretend too. Just make sure your battery is freshly charged 12 hrs before going and doing a full day of pylon racing. Good enough as long as you are aware.

Denis

Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 AM
ltfrug

ORIGINAL: djlyon

Battery issues

Out of 5 RDS 8000s I know about, the battery packs will not hold a charge. After being fully charged they will decay down to about 9.6 volts in 3 or 4 days. This happens whether they are fast charged or slow charged in the transmitter or out of the transmitter. 2 of the radios are mine. Also mine cannot be reliably fast charged with either a Cirrus or Triton charger. They don't peak detect 4 out of 5 times. With a Hobbico field charger they peak detect fine. If the batterys are capacity tested within a short time after being charged (same day) their capacity is as rated, 700 milliamp hrs.

Has anyone else experienced this. Maybe this is the result of a battery chemistry change to protect the environment.
My fix has been to use the battery packs from my old Airtronics transmitters.

Denis
I realize what I'm about to say is not a scientific test of anything, just my personal experience. I have owned my RDS8000 since 5/14/08 and have had approximately 50 uneventful flights. This means the radio has functioned flawlessly. When Denis mentioned the battery issue (which I personnally have not experienced) I thought I would check my transmitter voltage reading as displayed on the transmitter visual screen. At the time it read 10.4 volts.

I had charged my transmitter via the airtronics wall wart on 09/03/08. I charged the battery for approximately 12 hours. When Denis posted the above message my transmitter displayed a battery voltage of 10.4 volts when I flipped the switch to the on position. I did not check it at the time I removed it from charge. Today at the time of this writing I checked it again. The transmitter still displayed a battery voltage of 10.4 volts. The transmitter had been sitting on the shelf, unused, for approximately seven (7) days. I would not hesitate to take it out tomorrow and fly my planes without a recharge (not my normal practice) I have that much confidence in the airtronics system.

For info, I have been flying since 1969. All my previous gear has been Kraft, Futaba, and Hitec. This is my first Airtronics radio system.

I will be the pround owner of a Airtronics 10 channel 2.4 radio the day it hits the streets.

I do not doubt what you are saying Denis. I am merely sharing my experience with you to give you food for thought.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM
RCGeckoman

I"Ve experienced the same thing...in fact in the months Ihave had the radio I havenot seen the voltage go below 9.9V, even after a whole day at the field flying. And yup, I am definitely looking forward to the 10 channel's release!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
djlyon

That's great and that has been my experience with nicds for years. Possibly the batteries are coming from different sources.

I own 8 Airtronics radios starting with the Airtronics Modul. Geez there is something wrong with me I think. They are all great. My old Spectras do everything a modern radio will do but with discrete components. It does take the help of a fork lift to pick the transmitters up though.

Denis
Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Lowesinstaller

Well.... I shipped my RDS8000 to HobbyPeople yesterday. Before I boxed it back up I turned the radio on and I could not get the radio to past the "TH-Hi" error on the screen (Yes the throttle gimbal is all the way down) This gimbal has always been stiff from day one. I could usually get the error to stop by playing with the gimbal and turning it on and off a few times.
I will let everyone know how it goes...
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I had my tx batteries charged overnight Sunday to Monday (9/8/08), didn't get to fly because it was too windy but ran the engine with the radio on for about 15-20 minutes for testing. Since then, I have turned the radio on and off a few times and as of today (9/11/08) the meter still shows 10.2 volts.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 PM
metalmetal67
My Feedback: (67)

Gentlemen, as per my earlier post I change the stock batteries out for a 2200 nimh pack. I haven't charged my battery in 2 weeks and it still reads 10.6 with no usage since charge date of 2 weeks earlier. I am very impressed with everybody's analogy and tests of battery voltages and I have learned a lot from your posts. But if low voltage issues consume you, simply swap the pack for larger packs and end of story. Ever get to the field and have some sort of trouble that required the radio to be on to correct the issue and once the problem was solved your transmitter voltage is at 9.8 and you haven't even flown yet? With larger packs you can still have a great day of flying.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Lowesinstaller

Well.... I shipped my RDS8000 to HobbyPeople yesterday. Before I boxed it back up I turned the radio on and I could not get the radio to past the "TH-Hi" error on the screen (Yes the throttle gimbal is all the way down) This gimbal has always been stiff from day one. I could usually get the error to stop by playing with the gimbal and turning it on and off a few times.
I will let everyone know how it goes...
Lowesinstaller,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. It's always informative and helpful to the rest of us to know what was the cause of an obvious transmitter malfunction.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
mcdaniel

HI there
MetalMetal 67, Can you post the brand of yours news batt and where did you get it, I am very happy with my TX flying my heli, but probably with better batt I will love more...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
metalmetal67
My Feedback: (67)

E-Bay. Go to E-Bay and type in 9.6v battery then on left of screen click on Toys and Hobbies. There you will find 2500 mah 9.6volt packs for cheap money $34.95 for two 2500 mah packs shipped. Good deal. Upon receiving any new battery pack make sure polarity...positive and negative wires are in the correct location before plugging a new foreign pack into your transmitter.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Josh0027

I've finished reading the whole thread and it's good to know that this radio is a serious contender among the other spread spectrum radios in the market. Great review also from Ken. I was also able to see a demo with a Mini Titan and it flew fantastic! I just have a few questions:

1) In the review, I can't see any Idle1 or Idle2 up on the heli menu. Do I assume that the four flight modes actually serve as the same functions?

2) I can't find how many swash types does this handle and what kinds are they?

I'm beginning to like this radio. Among the other radios, I have not heard any major issues here that plagued the other brands. I look forward that this radio would perform flawlessly in the coming months.

Josh
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 PM
mcdaniel

COPY THAT THANKS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.