Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FOX 40 HELP!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FOX 40 HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 PM
WingmanEPTX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOX 40 HELP!!!!!

hello all,
i'm not too familiar with any engines except me evo 46s. a friend gave me his old plane to get workin..and old cadet with a fox 40. i took apart the engine partialy and cleaned it up, all parts moving smooth now. ok so i cant get it started. glo plug is good. i use 30% on my planes so i'm using that to try and start it. i heard thats bad and to use 10%. is this true? also can anyone tell me where to start to tune it up? if i have both high speed and low valves screwed all the wat closed (clockwise) approximately how many turns do i open each valve? just to give me a starting point to work with ya know? oh and i do know the engine is getting fuel because when i use my starter some gas spits out of the muffler like on my other planes. elevation is around 4000 here. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

thanks in advance!!!!!
-kevin
Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Stick 40

Default RE: FOX 40 HELP!!!!!

Hi,
Ya 30% is too much, 10 to 15 % would be more like it. If its a real old engine it might want caster oil. I had a old fox 40, 20 years ago and had a lot of trouble with it, I finaly put a Perry Cab. on it and it ran great with more power.
The high speed needle sould be about 1 1/2 turns out and the low about the same 1 turn to (1 & 1/2) turns. But that is subject to what the engine wants. BUT it should be trying to start anyway. You might want to check for air leaks, if you have taken this apart you may have a air leak. make sure the back plate is sealed and the carb. is also. Try starting it at different settings on the throttle, like just above idle half way to full etc.
good luck.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would turn the High speed needle out 2 turns and the low speed needle out 1 turn to start with. Put the glow ignighter on it and use an electric starter. Once it is running put it at about half to 3/4 throttle just in case that low end is to lean... The high end should be safely rich. Once it is warmed up keep the glow igniter on it and check idle and adjust your low end accordingly about 1/8 turn at a time giving the engine time to react to the change. Odds are good you will have to shut down the engine for every adjustment. Good luck!

All this assumes you have inspected the piston and sleeve for excesive scoring and confirmed there is some compression. Glow fuel will not ignight in our engines without sufficient compression.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 AM
goirish

However some fox engines, like the fox eagle 60 does require a higher nitro content. I belive the instructions say 25%. Do check the things that stick 40 suggested. If it is spitting fuel out the muffler then the HSN is to rich. Start with it only about 1 turn out until it starts. Keep the glow plug heater on unit is has been running for about 30 - 40 sec. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Woody 51

Which version of the Fox .40 is it? The BB ABC Deluxe or one of the Meehanite (Iron) Piston ones?
Or do you have one of the early "B" frame units? (same crankcase as the .45 and .46)

Fox's are all designed for LOW nitro- around 5 - 10% and if you have one of the cast iron piston ones, 17-20% CASTOR Oil in the fuel, no Synthetic.
You can get away with Castor/Synthetoc mix in the ABC version.

According to the manual for the Eagle .60, only 5% Nitro is required, unless you live at high altitudes or in very cold conditions, where a little more will assist starting.
25% would blow the thing apart.

If you go to
http://web.archive.org/web/200503060...m/manuals.html
you can still download the various manuals in .pdf format.

You mention the high speed and low speed needles. This indicates you have a very early engine as Fox have been only using air bleed carby's (single needle) for a long time now.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
WingmanEPTX
My Feedback: (1)

geeeeeeeez i have nooo idea what kinda fox 40 it is! i wouldnt know the first thing on how to tell either! i know pretty much nothing about engines!