Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Bobby Folsom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Hey Steve, it has been a long time! You will really like the plane as it flys well and will probably fit in your truck very nicely. Are you going to put a DA or DL 50 in it?

Bobby
Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve if you need any detail pics or anything during your build fire off a PM to me and I should be able to help out as I have alot of pictures of it on file. There are a few in my gallery as well.
I have the New Performance Series Extra 330S as well that I haven't built yet. It is supposed to be a much better flying plane than Patty, but it will never look as good or be as photogenic.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Nope, I thought that was a bit too "cheesy" if you will?
That was my impression. I'm looking for a suitable spinner to paint in that "Focke-Wulf swirl" pattern.

For what it is worth, i have been using the original spinner since the first shipment hit Tower Hobbies. While it is not a Tru-Turn by any means, it does work fine. Some polish from time to time helps it to look better and no additional investment. It is strictly a personal preference though.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Hey Steve, it has been a long time! You will really like the plane as it flys well and will probably fit in your truck very nicely. Are you going to put a DA or DL 50 in it?

Bobby
I finally got that H9 Extra "right", by virtue of putting Tobe's old Brison 3.2 in it. I heard not long ago that two guys bought Keith's BME engine operation, so I called them and explained the problems I'd had with my BME 50, Keith's non-responsiveness, etc. That engine has been sitting on the floor of my shop for over a year. It is now in Kansas for them to look at, so perhaps they can get it running right. If so, that's what I'll put in the Patty.

If not... I don't have a clue. I've got two projects ahead of this one, though, so I've got plenty of time.

I had planned to get a new, bigger ride when I retired last year, but decided to wait until the house is paid off (soon, now!). And then, of course, the wife started making noise about wanting an Infiniti of some sort. So I'm hosed again and stuck with the S-10 for a while yet. Yeah, the Patty just fits back there; and I'm still flying that old H9 Extra... it just won't die.

Good to see you on the board; I'd heard you had some serious health problems.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: Super08

Steve if you need any detail pics or anything during your build fire off a PM to me and I should be able to help out as I have alot of pictures of it on file.
Thanks; I might take you up on that. I do have a "reference book" I made, by printing out pertinent pages of this thread, etc.

I definitely wanted a bigger model, but am stuck with these "tweeners" until I get a vehicle with more room. And that won't be for a while yet...[]

And the H9 Extra I've been flying (and that BARELY fits in my truck) is getting long in the tooth; so I'm hoping the Patty will last me until a bigger plane is an option. From all I have read, the Patty is a tough, durable air frame that holds up well with a modicum of care.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Bobby Folsom

Hi Steve, yes, I did. I fell last Oct 27 and broke my hip/socket. I had to have a total hip replacement. The "bones" have healed okay but the incision became infected and I've had to have it resutured three times. They can't completely sew it up because they are afraid it might become infected again. The bottom line is that I am out of IMACing for the season BUT not out of flying. I go to the local fields once a week (when it's not raining) to keep my fingers limber!

Yeah, the BME 50 will pull that Patty very well. Andy and his partner will get it running right - if they haven't already.

Take care and keep in touch.

Bobby
Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Guys

I have a patty sitting there waiting in line to be built, my question is: I have an spe 40cc that is running ok would this have enough urge to fly the patty
I dont do the 3D thing but would require good standard aerobatic performace I would want the ability to climb at least 200ft without running out of puff .
or shall I save my pennies at get a da/dl 50c

Regards
Major splat
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Super08

Paddy is an older design and is a little on the heavy side for it's size. If you build very light you may be OK if you can get it under 16 pounds. If you can, try and get the money together for a DL as it is a perfect match for this airframe IMHO. Mine came out at about 17lbs even. If I went with lighter batteries, stock wheels, removed the pilot, etc. I might be able to shave off a pound from my current weight.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 AM
bjor

ORIGINAL: MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Guys

I have a patty sitting there waiting in line to be built, my question is: I have an spe 40cc that is running ok would this have enough urge to fly the patty
I dont do the 3D thing but would require good standard aerobatic performace I would want the ability to climb at least 200ft without running out of puff .

Regards
Major splat
I've got both an SPE40 and a DL50. I originally got the SPE40 to put into the Patty, but as mentioned by Seper08, she is built for comfort and as such is a bit heavier than some of the "modern" airframes. I struggled to get the weight to 17Lbs and even then I was really reluctant to use the SPE40. I finished up putting the SPE40 into a Seagull Extra 260 (1.60 size) and got a DL50 for the Patty.
This is by far a better combination that the SPE40. I'm sure the SPE40 will get Patty airbourne, but that would be about all it would do.
Go the DL50 - you will not regret it.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: MAJOR SPLAT

if you've got the ability to go through a few kits and pick the lightest parts you can shave a few lbs easily before you ever even start the build. out of the 3 in our club my wings are lighter then the other guys by almost 1/2 lb. and my AUW even with 4000 redundant Duralite batts and smoke system I'm quiet a bit lighter then theirs.

of those three, one is flying on a Taurus 42 that does OK from what i can tell, but i haven't flown his. I've got a Fuji 50ei in mine (they are actually a 46cc), it has unlimited vertical just lacks the ability to launch with authority out of a hover, my AUW is 14lbs 9.5oz. got another one in the club that has the non ei Fuji his is about 3 lbs heavier then mine and it makes a world of difference, mine flies so much nicer then his.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

OK GUYS I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE THE CASE BUT IT WAS WORTH THE TIME FOR A QUESTION, I WILL TREAT IT TO A DL OR THE LIKE,
THANKS FOR THE INFO

MAJOR.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 PM
69 roadrunner

Well I got bit yeasterday it was a great day to fly and while I was flying my pattie I went into a flat spin and the motor died at the top of the spin I was about 400 feet up and all I could do is watch it fall. I tried to get it to pull out no responce I gave the radio to a friend he tried hit the ground flat and blew into pieces. on a good note I didnt break the prop. the wing and tail are ok. the fusaloge is toast.anyone need wings pm me and I will send them to you if you pay frieght. The runner
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Bobby Folsom

It's a hard thing to do but the right thing is to push full down elevator and build up some airspeed and get the plane flying again. Then you could worry about landing - somewhere?

Bobby
Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
69 roadrunner

I tried thats what I was going to do becouse I was so high I felt I could get some speed then try to land anywhere and then repair minor damage owell there will be other planes. The runner
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Super08

Today was not my day. My horizontal stab was getting loose again so I decided to fix it. I had put some silicone on the tubes where they go through the center section a couple of months ago but it started wobbling again. I took out the screws and started removing the two stabs. The right side came off easy but the silicone has oozed out of the tubes on the left side and the stab was stuck a little. I got an Olfa knife and slipped it in the crack and started to cut though the silicone that had stuck to the stab. Needless to say I forgot about the servo wire and I had cut through the signal wire on my servo before I remembered about the wires.
I removed the servo (Futaba S9350) and took it apart to change the servo wire, but found I could not get it completely apart as it was glued inside with some kink of hard epoxy like white glue. I didn't want to risk damaging it, so I put it back together and spliced the damaged signal wire.
In the end a 30 minute job turned into a two hour repair. I ended up glueing the stabs and the tubes with epoxy permanently. The reason it was loose this time was the cardboard tubes in the center section had broke loose and the soft balsa was wearing around the metal tubes going into the stab halves.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
bjor

Super - we can all relate to those kind of days when we should have stayed in bed. The removable stabs seem to be a pain, and whilst they may be convenient for transport I think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages of this. I decided a while ago to epoxy my stabs permanently in place and have not had any issues with movement since. The ony thing I'm careful of is to hold the plane by the tail when running in the engine as I concerned if hold the plane by the elevators they may break off from the fuse.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: Yeah, the BME 50 will pull that Patty very well. Andy and his partner will get it running right - if they haven't already.
According to Tom(?), my BME 50 had the wrong carburetor on it! He fitted a new one, said he went through the engine, and it ran fine, etc. I certainly hope so, for $130...[&o]

He did send back the old carb, though; it is definitely different (and smaller) from what's on there now.

Anyway, I'll take a chance and put it on the Patty. Gustav kicked our butts pretty good; haven't done any airplane stuff in almost three weeks. And I need a new roof. But now I'm ready to get back on the two slimer projects; should finish them up just in time to make the Patty a "winter build" project.

You coming to the IMAC event here this week-end? I guess its still on, with Ike having shifted westward. The wind is going to be something else, though. Tobe and I were going to fly in it, but events decreed otherwise; neither of us have cranked a model in over a month.

Let me know if you're coming; it will be extra impetus to run out there Saturday.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

You coming to the IMAC event here this week-end? I guess its still on, with Ike having shifted westward. The wind is going to be something else, though. Tobe and I were going to fly in it, but events decreed otherwise; neither of us have cranked a model in over a month.
Here in southeast Bama we've got 7-10 with gusts up to 22 today, I'd suspect by the weekend they are gonna be like that in LA.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
LSP972

Its worse than that now; and will be a lot worse by tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
catman74

Hi guys,

i´m thinking about to buy this plane at my LHS.
Do you think an MVVS 35 ccm gasser with a tuned pipe (same as EVO 2.15 cuinch) will give me
enough power for normal (not 3D) acrobatics, with vertical maneuvers (not endless)?

greets

cat
Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Super08

Looks like it will spin a 20x8 around 7200 so it will fly. Like you said though it will be weak in vertical performance. Try and keep t as light as you can and move up to a 50cc when you are able and it will be alot more fun.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
catman74

Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason is, that i´ve this engine with the tuned pipe at home.
The good thig is, that if it´s not as powerful as i expect, i can change to the new mvvs 40 ccm gasser which has overall the
same dimensions as 35 gasser. An easy change is possible.

greets

cat
Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: catman74

Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason is, that i´ve this engine with the tuned pipe at home.
The good thig is, that if it´s not as powerful as i expect, i can change to the new mvvs 40 ccm gasser which has overall the
same dimensions as 35 gasser. An easy change is possible.

greets

cat
Hey Cat,

Was that the engine from your Pitts .. Hows that one running?

I'm rebuilt my Patty after a mishap earier this season on a deadstick. Great flying plane. Parts are plentyful and not too expensive.

Later,

Dan
Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Bobby Folsom

No, they canceled the contest. I couldn't have made it anyway due to my hip incision is still not to the point of not haveing to pack it every night!

Maybe next year!

Bobby
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

No, they canceled the contest.
Good call; it was pretty bad yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.