Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

ugh, how to fix a BIG crack on the nasty, this is a killer, i was takin it out to test a larger prop and noticed this HUGE crack going down the fuse, man, maybe ill try and make a "bug" replica [8D] something, such a killer []
Old 09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

thanks Ken, but nothing got my attention. is that a good thing ??

Rob, i only had a quick look at the t109, seemed ok, build over the winter

looking good for flying this morning. not sure what's going yet, still 2 hours till flying time, but for some reason my nice wooden 3d spirit is demanding to be flown. may take the catalina as well, that's only had 1 flight so far. tomorrow is a holiday here and my wife and kids are off, so no flying then, but we're going to the city onsen for an ofuro, massage, good food and relaxation. wed and thurs are also possible flying days.

aiming to get the d/f jets and Randy's lipos in the post this afternoon, everything is boxed up and sitting in the hall
Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
nyflyer56

Scott,
Good job on the picture. I saw a couple of good ones you posted to the gallery the other day.
Wow, a cover shot with me flying! and it isn't a crash shot.

SRay,
Thanks, I already have the GWS receiver, and the 5 gram servos. I will have to compare the weight of the small lipo and bec, to a small Nimh and no bec. The lipo will probably win out anyway.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
triboyeric

Anyone know of an electric extra 300? I found the model tech extra 300s, but of course its been discontinued. Perfect size, 48" Wingspan. Any others out there? other than the Extreme Flight Extra 300-E, thats too aerobatic for my taste.

Eric
Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM
rob737

have fun doug, thanks for the reply. if you are still looking at planes, what about the hl waco? i watched the vid on that one a few times today. i love flying biplanes, and might order that one next month if the finaces allow it.

all set for tomorrow........have my art tech corsair and christian eagle ready to go. perfect fall weather here for the week, clear skys and no wind. great for flying. will try not to post any crash reports, especially since everbody else is doing so well.!........rob
Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
export!

Just got back from some Old Yeller SS paratrooper and candy drops again. What fun. Also took the GWS TM-400 with the beefed up landing gear. There's something sooooo nice about a bipe flying at sunset when you get some perfect banking silhouettes. It was very calm fun flying. The landing was as good as can be in long grass and the gear held up fabulously.

Everyone always bugs me to paint the TM. I'm scared to now because I've had it so long and I'm sure if I take the time to make it pretty it will meet it's demise.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Stingray69

Phil.

I'm pretty sure nimh bats would over weight the wing loading. The wings are small as it is. THe ubec I linked to only weighs 7g and the small lipo cells probably even less than that. Set your shuttle up stock and fling it a few times with the bungy and note the CG. That cg point is what you will work to keep as you add the tronics. 2nd step is to cut off the cargo bay hatch. 1/2 inch from the rear vertical stabilizer then forward 5 1/2 inches. My hatch top was only cut down to about 1/3 of the fuse height leaving about 2/3rds of fuse above the wing. I then hollowed out the fuse by burning it out (melting the styro) with an old wood burning iron, The servos should go all the way to the rear of the compartment and as low to the wing as possible. Melt or cut a hole so that only a few mm of the servos stick out of the fuse side. CA them in once in place. You can use lt. weight spackle to fill any irregularities that may happen on the outside. I had to. The rx and ubec will sit in the middle of the bay, in front of the servo area. A 2cell lipo will sit in the forward cargo area. Set up the rx and servos to do elevon control. THen cut 2" off the forward part of the hatch and glue the rear hatch back to the fuse permanently. Sand and spackle that seam to hide it. That will leave you with only battery hatch. My elevons were cut from the TE of the wing at 2cm of width. Sand a 45dg on the wing and elevon bottom and use a tape hinge. The elevons will be very fragile so handle with care. Don't glue the vertical fin in. You want that to fall off on a bad landing instead of break. Below is a few pics and ask away if I forgot something. You can see the 2 dimples on the bottom of my shuttle. That's where my cg is. Flying the shuttle takes almost no input from the tx. Only enough to correct it's direction not its attitude.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63519.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1037758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38888.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1037759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20569.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1037760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11307.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1037761  
Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
patnchris

Eric,
An Extra is actually a scale airplane and it is an extreme aerobat. I don't think it will make any difference who's Extra you get, you will find they are very sensitive. The extreme size of the control surfaces dictates this. You can always cut back on the throws if you want to tame one down, some, but the plane is designed for extreme or 3D flight. Extra's, Yak's, Funtana's, Cap's , Edge's and others are designed to be 3D flyers. If you don't like the Pulse series of planes, you might look at a Super Sporter, or some other low wing aerobat. You may also want to consider a pattern plane like a Brio. Pattern planes are designed to fly very precisely. .....To be honest, it sounds like you only want planes that are above your ability to fly them.....That's just my opinion.....Pat
Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
rob737

eric.....here's something similar, an art tech yak54. i own several planes made by art tech....they fly great. rob

http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak544rtfprr.html
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
gunfighterII

Scott,
I heard during your game with Notre Dame that Charlie had a gastric bypass operation, he should be getting skinny real quick.

I see the Michigan volleyball team is in the top 25. And undefeated at that.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
export!

Hey Mac we did OK! We didn't lose this week.

Edit - we are going to be Michigan State's *itch this year. Wow. This is bad. I'm going to start the Corsair build. Therapy.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
gunfighterII

Scott,
We were undefeated this week also. You can see how bad we are next saturday night. ABC 7PM CT

Do like we did, switch to volleyball. The behinds are much better looking.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
triboyeric

Yea,

But if you compare the control surfaces of say the SS and the Extreme flight Extra 300, theres a big difference. Ive seen some Extras that have minimal control surfaces, thats what i was hoping for but the SS EP looks great, outfitted with a brushless/lipo upgrade of course.

Eric
Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Airbourne in Japan

flight report. 6 planes, 3 flew nicely, 2 spun in and one had a motor come loose. blue skies and not much wind.

first up was the epp profile pitts bulldog bipe. the ailerons on this are so soft that they hardly deflect so rolls are very slow, but the rudder and elevator are very powerful and it knife edges without any rudder. still getting to know this plane, only flown it a few times, but it's fun. very tail heavy today, i added 1 oz of lead to the nose when i got home. however it's the only one of the 5 ms composits epp profiles i put the landing gear on and the mount is a bad design and the undercarriage came off in flight, so i'm just gonna have it as a belly lander.

next up was the second flight of the catalina. although a bit fragile and a one crash wonder, it flies very nicely and skids of the ground and lands well. i used a bit more power with the two tiny hyperion outrunners today and it was fun scale flying. of course the catalina was a lumbering flier, but i keep it fairly scale like. i like this plane.

then the art tech yak 54. this is a fun aerobat and rolls very fast, so much so that getting it to fly inverted isn't so easy. anyway i like this plane, but it does have the occasional glitch but it think that's the servos being crap.

then the problems started creeping in. next up was the hobby people stuka ww2 German dive bomber. this is a problem plane, but looks good in the air, but i'm not very bothered about it. it has only once rog'd but today it di so and i was having a fun fly with it. the wing is very very twitchy and it's prone to dramatic tip stall. the motor is a $20 hc hacker copy and i think it's very inefficient. i had a gws 3 blade prop on it but today it seemed underpowered. maybe the hyperion pack i used is loosing it's juice or the motor is pulling high amps. anyway i was low over the upwind end of the runway, about 12' when the esc cut out and it did two spins and hit the ground. luckily it looks ok, the stick mount is fine but the rear wing mount has come unstuck from the plastic fus. hopefully a simple 5 minute repair.

then the plane that was begging to be flown. sometimes i wonder whether this is a 'last wish'. anyway i'm always cautious with the 3d spirit (wooden and nice looking). i haven't really wrung it out being careful not to crash it. i tried a knife edge with it today and some hovering, which is what i wanted to do, but the rudder wasn't enough for k.e. . anyway after about 5 minutes it spun into the jungle for some reason. so with some doubt about finding it, although it didn't look too far in, i ventured forth to do battle with the plane eating jungle. no response to the tx, i luckily heard the esc beeping after a while and after about 10 minutes getting my knees cut to ****, i very luckily found it deep in the jungle, a lot further away than i thought. it looked pretty ok, just a broken bit of the fus, easy to fix, but when i checked it back at base, one wing is loose so maybe the mount is broken. i'll have to take the wing off to check it. the esc was beeping because the crystal had come out of the rx. luckily i found it.

finished off with my new eflight sea fury. i like this plane, again tail heavy (i'm gonna add 2 oz of lead to the nose). anyway after getting it trimmed out and flying for a few mies, the motor starts making an odd noise in high speed passes. after a little bit of this it becomes clear that there was a problem, so i brought it in. the himax outrunner was practically off the stickmount. this is a problem i had before with this particular motor, the two screws don't hold the motor very well. i thought this would be simple to fix, just put in some new screws with locktight, but it looks like i need to swap this particular motor. it's a 2816-1220 but i've only got an 890 kv in my motor box, so i may get a new motor or scoure my fleet for a replacement.

Scott, i'm sending you the rafael and the eurofighter, Lou's getting the f22 raptor twin and the a7 corsair and Ray's getting the f16 and f18.

in my opinion it's a waste of time responding the triboyeric (the kid)'s posts as he just askes us about what 500 planes are like, ignores what we recommend, buy's an electric plane and then pesters us about converting it to glow and never tells us anything interesting about his flying. i wish he would go away
Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
export!

I'm going to get a T-shirt printed tomorrow;

FIXED CANARDS

(I can't believe how sexy that Rafale is)

It's always such a touching ceremony - The Joining of the Fuses.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48244.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1037997  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
calvino

and the 2 become 1 , ok, anyone know of a good "yak" 55 plane, to stick my electronics on, i like the great planes" flex foam" BUT i hear it tears easily [:'(] http://www.fancyfoam.com/YAK54HPK.htm looks nice, what do you guys think? i want somethin durable, but "flexable" or should i make an EEP one as its darn indestructable
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Scott, what's that you're building ?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
export!

Cal - get an MS Composites profile. Doug and I both have one (well, he has a bunch of them). They are really good flying planes and they are made with the "good" foam. I have never really crashed mine but it seems like it could take some abuse. The tailfeathers are probably vulnerable being just Depron but you could cut new ones very easily from scrap Depron or fanfold.

I would strongly advise two lengths of carbon fibre tube to stiffen up the wing and fuse however. I just redid mine with this mod and I should have just done it from the start. I still cannot touch what this plane is able to do but I can fly it around easily and learn. I think they are only $49 or so.

Doug that is the GWS Corsair that I'm building. I greatly strengthened the wing saddle area with two lengths of CF tube. I ran them right through the firewall all the way back along the saddle and through the main bulkhead former behind the servo tray. It went from flimsy to feeling as stiff as a balsa plane.

Scott
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM
calvino

thanks, got a link? i broke out more of my foam glue, ya, i may go with an EEP fuse on the nasty, well see, it was intended to be made with blu-cor or fanfold
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Airbourne in Japan

here you go Cal http://www.mscompositusa.com/cat~aerobatic-epp.htm i recommend the unique or the boom excellent slow flying 3d'ers, the boom is the better one. i did what Scott did on all mine, used a c/f rod for the wing and one for the fus. don't buy the pitts
Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 PM
calvino

thanks doug, scott PM'd me the Unique, man, kinda like the boom, looks nice, ya, still considerin a better fuse for the nasty, its a NICE plane, anyone know of somewhere with good light weight, like 1.3 Lb EPP?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 PM
blk822

Well just bought my very first AMA membership today to try to join a local club. Hope it works out good. need a good feild to fly at .Feel petty good about joining AMA and then a good club. Weather sucked here this weeknd for flying so hope things get better .
Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 AM
rcverse

Hey Pappy
you got it....... and as Phil said the lift is usually a band across the front of the slope, if have a steady breeze coming pretty straight in, .....

but you can also get into thermals when the wind isn't too strong and tearing them up.... the tend to funnel into gaps or saddles at the top if there is such....
if the wind is light and thermals drifting through they will usually be cycling........and with a streamer or wind sock you can watch the cycle as they pass thru and get a feel for the timing...... usually you want to launch a little ahead of them to catch them coming in before they pass the ridge.... so usually means launching in a lull..... just think of them as big hot air bubbles building and popping off a hot spot out front of you, and then rising as they drift down wind, and they tend to pop off in a regular cycle as the build to a critical size to break loose..... if you want to see them coming just set some streamers down slope, out in front, and watch them pick up as the thermals hit and move up slope.........
On really good days you actually get a regular series of little cumulus clouds overhead drifting downwind, and there will just be rows of these.....
and if you get up there in a sailplane or HG there is still lift under each one of them as that warm pocket just keeps churning and sucking up the air under it..... these are the glorious cloud streets that let a glider just keep cruizing......

myself I usually just fly the ridge lift when the winds get above 10-15mph, and at my local site I can fly the waves coming off the hills out in front of me as I fly across the valley...... most my planes too heavy to do much thermaling, but with a kicking wind and a heavy plane thats when you can really pour on the coal...... just watch out for the backside rotors or eddies, will dump you quick.... but if got the right hill and plane then can get to some dynamic soaring, I don't have either.........and just end up in the trees if I venture in back.....

And while its true the best slopes tend to be out west, there should be plenty back there, anywhere you can find a nice clear hilltop to launch and land and a good breeze coming at you..... I've read of guys sloping the beach ridges with small gliders, might even want to try Kittyhawk some day just for the tradition.....
Just watch out its addictive......... if winds get too much for that Ventura have to check out some EPP slope gliders.....
Go for it....... Jim

Oh yeah Scott..... Cascade Hops those wouldn't be from the Willlamette Valley by chance.... noticed the yards all been harvesting here for several weeks now, thought of you...... have to see if can get you a bale from up at Hopmere, they been loading them on traincars here last couple weeks, maybe more than you'd need though.......
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 AM
AJ1202

Well I made it back from Nashville TN with the new used bike Man was that a long ride
I made better time than expected but it still sux

Anywho good to see some of you guys got to get out and fly, and no horror stories

I did take some time yesterday and finish getting the ultimate ready to fly, I added the rudder servo and made a few tiny repairs and now she's ready to fly again
have to wait for better weather to take her out, kinda rainy and windy here

I have been trying to salvage some batts that I think have just lost all their umph, I'm hoping if nothing else I can take a couple badd ones and build a new good one from them
Looks like it's time to buy some batts

Mark we still on for Sunday
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM
gunfighterII

Eric,
Comparing an Extra control surface to a SS is like comparing apples to oranges, does'nt really have anything to do with performance. Wing incidence, airfoil shape, thrust and decalage angles have far more bearing on flight than control surface size. Speed is also a large determining factor in control surface throws, the faster you go, the less throw you need. The idea of getting as much throw as you can applies only to the smallest and lightest foamies, the larger you get the more you have to get away from that tendency. I heard it many times here, "I need as much throw as I can get, to get out of trouble" and my response is, "how do you think you got in trouble in the first place"

If your plane is twitchy and your over controlling it, just reduce the throws to the point that makes you comfortable. If you listen to some of the control throw recommendations on some of these chinese planes in the plans, your heading for a crash. Personal preference takes precident over the plans.

An Extra set up properly will be the most docile and forgiving plane you will ever fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.