Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Horizon Hobby Scam

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Horizon Hobby Scam

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
jdr43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby Scam

I was going to order the Pawnee, but with the price increase not now. I know they have a right to increase the price, and I have a right not to buy. Back to Tower Hobbies for me.

Jim R
Bella Vista Arkansas
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been fortunate in my career to routinely analyze the science of pricing and human behavior. One of the things I found is that when you have high end products purchased routinely by the same purchasers it is best to announce price increases well in advance to give an opportunity for people who are about to purchase the opportunity to do so before the price increase. (leaves you with a positive experience) The other thing you should do is honor the purchase price at the time the order is placed not at the time the order is filled. (again leaves you with a positive experience)

Just my opinion but I think the only fault here is how the price increases were executed. Communication is vital with repeat purchasers of high end products. I truly think that Horizon has great planes...I am flying the Corsair, the B-25, and the Alpha 60 trainer. They are excellant planes. I have also had exceptional service any time I have had to deal with them directly which has not been often. Just like in a marriage or raising children, communication is vital and I think that may be the real complaint...I really don't think the intent was to scam their repeat customers. Just my opinion, but they have not lost me as a customer.

I have also seen them donating a lot of items at the limited number of flying events I have attended in the last 2.5 years. I was the fortunate winner of a donated DX7 raffle that was raffled only to the WORKERS at a Jet Fly-in this past summer. Another volunteer won an engine donated by Horizon and the rest of the workers were given $100 gift certificates. Just my opinion, but I think Horizon has our best interest as RC enthusiasts at heart...but communication is important!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tev...

Good post. I agree. Good communication keeps things on a personal level as I mentioned in an earlier post....even announcing why such a drastic increase. Stuff doesn't usually jump 47% almost overnight...even if it is a luxury item. Therefore, some reasoning for this is sought after by us, but none given. This makes folks angry. Understandibly.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

"I have never had the um er "pleasure" of ordering anything direct from HH."
oh well , they must be giveing all the good friendly servace to me
In addition , as so well stated by Tevanns- (great post ) competition is great , and that is why 4 majors still survive , bottom line is that if Tower and the rest dont follow HH price increase then perhaps people will move there hobby dollars to the others .However if HH has some exclusive ARFs that the others dont offer ie
Corsair , Hellcat , P40 ect under $300 and great sport flyers , then people still will buy .
Tower thru Top Flight/Great planes needs to bring more arfs to the market , there so slow , do you know how many of us would buy a gold edition warbird from tower in a heart beat ??? p40 , Corsair , Zero ect , count me , but they are sssssssssssssssssssso slow to launch arfs thry the Top Flight association .
Only recently have they introduced a P51 and now a Texan , but HH has taken tons of kit business from them in the last 7 years
Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the rest of the HH line of products OTHER than their ARF's? BIG price increase? ANY price increase?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Let them keep their stuff on the shelf. Dont buy from them. I guarantee they will get the message and will change their tune.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 AM
kid chuckles

Yeah so will the gas stations lol. Sorry had to say it.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I boycotted Pamela Anderson , you bet that worked !!!!, sorry I had to say that as well -
also wifey would kill me !!!![X(]
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Mr. Mugen

I sill have the issue of playboy with Pam and Santa....wifey knows.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Rube Goldberg

To the Dude that lost the canopy to his Raptor looking creation:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN3831

Was it really worth $13.29 and a few bucks shipping to completely dismantle your airplane, pack it in a box and send it back to Horizon instead of just ordering another canopy component?

On topic: My LHS received 2 of the Piper Pawnee 40s the other day and the owner called me to ask if I wanted one of them as he would honor the original price of $199 when I asked him to get me one several months ago. It was actually $189 but whats a ten spot.....so I went ahead and bought it as my latest hedge fund.

Rube
Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
outacontrol41

Ever since the Pawnee 40 came out, I have never, ever seen it NOT on back order. Due date constantly shifts to a later date.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whaaaaaaaaa.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Whaaaaaaaaa.
Either you work for Horizon and are trying to cover their tails for pisting off so many of their customers .....or..... you're a trouble making troll. So? Which one are you? We have the right to vent frustration.
BTW...How old are you? I'm guessing about 12 or 13 yrs. old. Am I close? If so that makes you too young to work for Horizon. I guess that leaves just one thing.....
Old 09-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: jdr43

I was going to order the Pawnee, but with the price increase not now. I know they have a right to increase the price, and I have a right not to buy. Back to Tower Hobbies for me.

Jim R
Bella Vista Arkansas
As said earlier, I cancelled my order for the Pulse and ordered a Sig 4*60 on Tuesday, from Tower. It arrived Thursday. No extra shipping charge, (actually, it was free) and $30 off the price to boot. Gonna start assembling this evening or tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

Whaaaaaaaaa.
Either you work for Horizon and are trying to cover their tails for pisting off so many of their customers .....or..... you're a trouble making troll. So? Which one are you? We have the right to vent frustration.
BTW...How old are you? I'm guessing about 12 or 13 yrs. old. Am I close? If so that makes you too young to work for Horizon. I guess that leaves just one thing.....
Or maybe when horizon hobby cuts the fat he will no longer be able to afford this hobby.

Some times when we speak the truth it strikes a nerve on the people that would be most affected by change.

Johnny

Ps
Sorry if I hit a nerve or if I spelled something wrong or if my punctuation \ grammar is not to perfection, because see, I am Hetero not Metero.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Was it really worth $13.29 and a few bucks shipping to completely dismantle your airplane, pack it in a box and send it back to Horizon instead of just ordering another canopy component?

I'm the Dude and yes it was worth it. All they had to do was send me the canopy and the retaining pin that failed. I am more than happy to send it bk to them and this way when I recieve the new plane bk from them it will be gone bk to LHS. I wouldn't have HH stuff in my hanger nor anything they sale in my flight box after this. I will spend my money with someone who actually takes care of there customer's. Lots of the worthless HH stuff at the Fly for Tots show this weekend they didn't get a penny of my money. Now to hide some of the stuff I did buy from the boss lady. The Fly for Tot's was a great success to bad HH had to be involved or associated with it.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
outacontrol41

Whaaaaaaaaa.

Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt. ©
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

Whaaaaaaaaa.

Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt. ©
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Just kidding 'bro.....I know what you mean.....[8D]
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
SDCrashmaster

Yes...I'm a troll. Do some investigating. How many trolls have been on here since inception, and have over 3k posts?
Re: "Striking a nerve"...uh...I don't think so. Y'all are whining like a bunch of little girls and slamming a great company who's business model is all about customer satisfaction.
So, occasionally, a person feels that the ultimate solution wasn't the easiest, most convenient way to solve their particular situation. Tough shyte, get over it. Just be glad they're trying to help you get back to where you were before the incident. Wouldn't it be great if all the companies we do business with in life were like this?
Horizon is a great company for which I do not work. And, no...I am not twelve.
And...you had better hope that Horizon doesn't decide to quit sponsoring events. There isn't an event in this country worth attending that doesn't have Horizon sponsorship associated with it.
The fact that they were involved in sponsoring/donating to your Toys for Tots/Fly for Tots event should speak volumes to you.

Whaaaaaaa...I won't go to any event if Horizon is gracious enough to be involved in sponsoring it. Are you nuts?

Again, have some cheese with all that whine. What's that old saying? Is it; "Everbody loves a whiner"? I don't think so.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Rube Goldberg

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

I'm the Dude and yes it was worth it. All they had to do was send me the canopy and the retaining pin that failed. I am more than happy to send it bk to them and this way when I recieve the new plane bk from them it will be gone bk to LHS. I wouldn't have HH stuff in my hanger nor anything they sale in my flight box after this. I will spend my money with someone who actually takes care of there customer's. Lots of the worthless HH stuff at the Fly for Tots show this weekend they didn't get a penny of my money. Now to hide some of the stuff I did buy from the boss lady. The Fly for Tot's was a great success to bad HH had to be involved or associated with it.

Boy Howdy! That's the first legitimate reason I've seen for a company to raise prices by 47% at the drop of a hat. What is it the insured say about the uninsured visiting the emergency room?

Rube
Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 PM
outacontrol41

" How many trolls have been on here since inception, and have over 3k posts?"
Okay....so you've been a busy troll. But I swear it sounds like you're whining about the whiners. Why do they bug you so much? If Horizon is such the glorious gift from above to the hobby world as you make them out to be, they'll survive and never look back at us 'whiners'. The real slamming will come when sales drop on all the products the prices were raised on.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I have build 2 planes from my stash and fixed 3 since this post started. I have to say that I just looked at the price of my seagull edge 540 and it hasn't budged. Why is that? I will have to relook at other planes I bought in the last year as well. Still not buying new planes but discovering planes I already bought that I forgot about....attic is full of them.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
qldviking

Yes...I'm a troll. Do some investigating. How many trolls have been on here since inception, and have over 3k posts?
Re: "Striking a nerve"...uh...I don't think so. Y'all are whining like a bunch of little girls and slamming a great company who's business model is all about customer satisfaction.
So, occasionally, a person feels that the ultimate solution wasn't the easiest, most convenient way to solve their particular situation. Tough shyte, get over it. Just be glad they're trying to help you get back to where you were before the incident. Wouldn't it be great if all the companies we do business with in life were like this?
Horizon is a great company for which I do not work. And, no...I am not twelve.
And...you had better hope that Horizon doesn't decide to quit sponsoring events. There isn't an event in this country worth attending that doesn't have Horizon sponsorship associated with it.
The fact that they were involved in sponsoring/donating to your Toys for Tots/Fly for Tots event should speak volumes to you.

Whaaaaaaa...I won't go to any event if Horizon is gracious enough to be involved in sponsoring it. Are you nuts?

Again, have some cheese with all that whine. What's that old saying? Is it; "Everbody loves a whiner"? I don't think so.
sorry but you are an insult to a Troll, as a businessman my self I know that if I pull that crud like Horizon I'd be out of busines so fast my head would spin. Prices do fluctuate, but as they, win on meery go round and lose on the ferris wheel, it all balances out in the long run.
No you wouldn't be 12, more like 8
Sure its nice of Horizon to sponsor events, its great advertising for them and a tax write off too. and nice of them to put some of the ripped off $$$ back into the hobby too.
either way you look at it, Horizon hooby did not honour deals made, and thats not right in anyones books.
and yes, I have ordered from them in the past.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 PM
SDCrashmaster

My POV is just a counterpoint to the rediculous whining here. Stating a point, or sharing a complaint is one thing. But look at the thread's title.
It's B.S. and the "rallying of troops" against Horizon is childish. Horizon will survive, and be better off. I just wish they'd start a whining complainers list of people to never sell to again.
Then those whiners can all fly their arf's using inferior 2.4g systems or stay on their archaic 72mHz dinosaurs. Won't be an issue though, as I'm sure that most of the whiners aren't going to graduate to the more advanced segments of the hobby anyway. The only requirement this thread should have is that when the whiners cave, and do end up purchasing a Horizon product, that they eat crow and announce it in this big bad "scam" thread.

BTW, I'd have never posted here had this threads' rediculous title not been a slam on a company with nothing but the best intentions for it's customers.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
qldviking

My POV is just a counterpoint to the rediculous whining here. Stating a point, or sharing a complaint is one thing. But look at the thread's title.
It's B.S. and the "rallying of troops" against Horizon is childish. Horizon will survive, and be better off. I just wish they'd start a whining complainers list of people to never sell to again.
Then those whiners can all fly their arf's using inferior 2.4g systems or stay on their archaic 72mHz dinosaurs. Won't be an issue though, as I'm sure that most of the whiners aren't going to graduate to the more advanced segments of the hobby anyway. The only requirement this thread should have is that when the whiners cave, and do end up purchasing a Horizon product, that they eat crow and announce it in this big bad "scam" thread.

BTW, I'd have never posted here had this threads' rediculous title not been a slam on a company with nothing but the best intentions for it's customers.

we gotta wonder where you're coming from, are they paying you?
if people stop honouring thier deals this world will be in a sad sad state[:@] but I guess it says a lot for your moral standards, miniimal as it may be. and the NOT honouring of deals is what this whole thread is about, but I guess thats over your head.
as for advancing in this hobby I bet a lot of folk on here are way ahead of you, you sound like you havent passed beyong trainer destroying
and another point, Horizon isnt the only company selling quality gear by any means
what is also needed is a thread section for fools such as yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.