Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What has the most power ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 AM
freeair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has the most power ?

just wondering about 2 engines ; thunder tiger-pro 46 and the O.S. 46 ax . which of these engines has the highest power output which includes rpm,s. ? i have the OS and have seen the T.T engines perform but why do so many go for the Tunder Tiger 46 , is it price or power ? thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What has the most power ?

The TT has plenty of power at a far lower price than the OS. However I do believe the AX out performs the TT both in stock form with stock mufflers. However the OS AX is great at larger props and the TT may be able to get better rpm. the AX engines seem to designed with the newer 3D fad in mind and have been designed with the torque in mind, but with a little tweaking and the right muffler the AX does rev up nicely. They are both great engines but designed for slightly different types of flying.

Dauntae
Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 AM
aussiesteve

Hi Mate
I assume you are asking because of your Q500's
(for those that don't know it - the Q500's in Oz are restricted to these 2 engines and a GS45 Supertigre all running on FAI fuel and a 10/6 commercial molded prop)

I prefer the TT for ours - we seem to get slightly better performance from them at a FAR lower price. -a lot less tears when we st-ff up too
Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 AM
XJet
Banned

If it's racing you're after then the TT will likely outperform the OS, since it's ported to spin at higher RPMs.

However, if you're planning to run hard with a 10x6 prop then do consider replacing the stock bearings with something that has a polymer cage at the earliest possible time. We've had a couple of TT46Pro's blow their stock bearings at high RPMs and although nobody's destroyed an engine yet there was a *lot* of shrapnel in the crankcase consisting of little bits of bearing cage that could very well have destroyed the piston and bore.

As others have said, the OS is more oriented towards high-torque, lower RPMs applications such as 3D and scale flying - but if that's what you're looking for it's a great engine.

For the money, I'd still go with the Thunder Tiger though my oldest TT46Pro is not too far away from having done 500 hours on the original piston and liner (but on its third set of bearings). They just last and last.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: freeair

just wondering about 2 engines ; thunder tiger-pro 46 and the O.S. 46 ax . which of these engines has the highest power output which includes rpm,s. ?
The simple answer is, the AX pulls bigger lumber a little better but when lightly loaded, they are quite similar in power.

The AX .46 outspins the TT .46 Pro by about 200 - 600 rpm prop to prop when loaded in the 11,500 rpm to 12,500 rpm zone. For example, the TT .46 pro will spin an 12.25 x 3.75 at about 11,500 to about 12K depending on the example tested whereas the AX will spin the same prop at between 12,300 - 12,400 rpm.

If you use lighter props, the TT .46 Pro closes the gap. When running 10 x 6 props, they are very similar in output, based on what we've seen at our field.

They are both very very good engines that are at the top of the of the mass produced .46 sport engine heap.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the AX but the TT Pro did a lot better than the FX .46 with props such as 11-5, 11-4, and 10-6. And with a tuned muffler I understand the improvement is even better. Definately the one for racing.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

The Tower 46 Engine will out run both.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

He cannot use that engine. He is limited to three see prior posts.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

No.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

That's because the muffler, Put the tower muffler on a FX and it out runs the Tower engine.

Dauntae
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
buzzingb

Lets talk engines as they are sold here. The Tower Hobbies 46 will out run the Thunder Tiger Pro and the OS FX AX engines. I recently changed out a Thunder Tiger Pro after it slung a rod on a Patriot with about 6 years of running on it ( not that much run time though). The Tower will pull my Patriot faster in the air even with the Tower muffler swapped over to the Thunder Tiger. I know some will say this or that but this is from my owne personal experience on this particular airplane (Patriot with 10X6). The rpm reading is about 600rpms higer on the ground also. This doesn't mean that this is the case everytime because the Thunder Tiger did have some run time on it before slinging the rod and the Tower was almost new.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Someone please close this thread, this was about three specific engines. We don't need to start a boring pissing match that my engine is better than yours. So childish.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Lille-bror

Yo Aussie… and all other.

I can't get my Thunder Tiger Pro 46 to run great on FAI fuel. I tried removing the head shim and different glow plugs. Nothing helped. The transition is very bad. Is the fault the APC 11/5 prop I'm using? Should I try an APC 10/6?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Lille-bror

Sorry Freeair.
I know it’s off topic.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: Lille-bror

Yo Aussie… and all other.

I can't get my Thunder Tiger Pro 46 to run great on FAI fuel. I tried removing the head shim and different glow plugs. Nothing helped. The transition is very bad. Is the fault the APC 11/5 prop I'm using? Should I try an APC 10/6?

Thanks.

YES

they are "fiddly" to tune on FAI fuel - that is because of the lack of Nitro. Nitro tends to broaden the band of the mixture setting that is acceptable - with no nitro - your tuning skills come to play in a very big way. I spend a lot of time setting ours up - Set the high speed - set the low speed - back to the high speed, then back to the low speed then finally back to the high speed. Very small adjustments each time - it is very easy to go past the correct point.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
XJet
Banned

We have no problems tuning our TT46Pro engines on 0% nitro here (although most people prefer to run 5% nitro), I wonder what the difference is?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Lille-bror

ORIGINAL: XJet

We have no problems tuning our TT46Pro engines on 0% nitro here (although most people prefer to run 5% nitro), I wonder what the difference is?
The oil?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Lille-bror

Thanks Xjet and aussiesteve.

Still off topic: If you have an engine, that isn’t built to run on FAI fuel (e.g. YS engines?), how does it behave, when you try it? Will it just stop? Behave like the mixture is set too lean? Behave like the timing is wrong? Or?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM
XJet
Banned

This depends a great deal on the engine itself.

Some will run like they're a little rich not smoothly 2-stroking but will just die when you try to lean them out.

Others will run just fine, except they'll be down on RPMs.

Quite often the idle will be affected and you won't get the same reliability or low tick-over you get with higher nitro levels.

The needle will also be a lot more sensitive and therefore require more care to set properly. You may find that the engine leans out more when you put the nose up or richens too much when you put the nose down.

But surprisingly, many engines will run just fine on no nitro although the YS is probably an exception to that, having been designed to use 20% nitro right from the start. That's why I opted for Saitos rather than YS engines in my 3D planes and so far my Saitos show no bad traits when run on 5%-10% nitro.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Lille-bror

Thanks XJet.

It is VERY useful information. Appreciates it.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: freeair

just wondering about 2 engines ; thunder tiger-pro 46 and the O.S. 46 ax . which of these engines has the highest power output which includes rpm,s. ? i have the OS and have seen the T.T engines perform but why do so many go for the Tunder Tiger 46 , is it price or power ? thanks
The Thunder Tiger Pro .46 has a better warranty than the O.S. Max .46 AX here in North America. Three years versus two years might not be a huge deal to most buyers, but it's interesting that the less expensive engine is warranted longer.

The Thunder Tiger Pro .46 also has a better reputation for longevity than the O.S. Max .46 AX. Long time posters here to the Glow Engine forum generally report much longer run times on the Pro .46 before needing anything other than new ball bearings. I remember Dr. Nitro in particular reporting he averages more than 100 gallons of fuel through his TT Pro .46s while his .46 AX engines usually need piston/liner sets after 40 gallons or so.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We race sport .46 motors here, both the OS and the TT are allowed. I'm only aware of one person running the TT vs. the OS. At least on 15% nitro the OS AX outperforms the TT. The trick is to use the right props, the TT does like spin higher RPMs, but you can turn a heavier pitch prop on the OS at a lesser rpm and GO faster.

The TT is more similar to the OS FX, but is no longer competitive and we race a lot.

Running on FAI fuel most likely is completely different, so listen to the Aussies and New Zealanders that run that stuff.