Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

2009 Summer Gyro meet

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

2009 Summer Gyro meet

Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Summer Gyro meet

It's time to be thinking where we will hold the 2009 Autogyro meet. We need a place that we can take off and land into the wind without flying over the pit area.
Yes we have a nice place in Morris, but it is possible that there lease may not get renewed or they may be getting tired of us taking there field for 4 days.
Muncie has a place where wwe can fly and land into the wind but from what I am seeing on the schedule we would have to meet on week days as weekends are all taken in August and September.

Anyone got any other sugestions?

Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
JoelW

Default RE: 2009 Summer Gyro meet

Hello Jim,

June or July are OK with me. Every year we have it as late as September we have to deal with bad weather that is a result of the yearly hurricane season. Hurricanes bring tornados as well as rain. The kids will be out of school in June and July, that may bring more new blood into our little nitch of the RC hobby.

Joel
Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

How many people are you talking about?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
rcflyerfl

Andy,
About 20 Pilots and 1/2 that many Very interested.

Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Y'all ought to come up to our heli event, I'm trying to drum up some auto gyros. Its October 18th

http://www.jaxrc.com we pretty much have a runway thats into the wind or close to it at all times
Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
rcflyerfl

Andy,
Yes I am awhere of you Heli event..I will be at the Monster RC event in lake Wales that weekend.

Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Gyroguru

June or July are fine with me.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
rcflyerfl

Looks like the last weekend might be available. I will check.

Jim
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
rcflyerfl

Gyronuts,
Looks like last weekend might be out but I am trying to get it sometime in second half of June..They will let me know in October..
I have a lot of people wanting in in June so lets hope it can happen.

Jim
Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 PM
AeroBalsa Mike

Jim,

Bernie mentioned to me that the folks who run the PRA Convention in Mentone, IN would entertain the idea of having us at their event. Here is a link to the info on their site: http://www.pra.org/index.php?view=ar...tent&Itemid=59

If nothing else it would be a way to introduce our hobby to a lot more folks since attendence to their event would probably be pretty good. Their facility is pretty complete with showers, concession stand, etc. Might be a lot of fun to some real ones buzzing around.

They had it August 5th through the 9th this year. Next year's event dates aren't posted yet, however.

What does everyone think?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
rcflyerfl

Mike,
I remember Gary saying something about Mentone Airport. I have seen videos of the place and it all sounds good..

Those that used to fly at the Winter, Spring Hill autogyro were invited to a full size Autogyro meet in South Central Florida and said they would not fly when we did and we would not fly when they did.. Guess what..As soon as we fired up they did too. I don't like flying with full scale..I didn't like models flying in the same area I was flying full scale either..
I may just call the Airport and see what it would cost to be there.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 AM
AeroBalsa Mike

Jim,

Good input. I also wondered about conflicting airspace. I share your concern. It would be a question of what control does the PRA event coordinator have over when the full size are flying. I guess it would be a good idea to at least discuss how this would be handled with them.

Let me know if you end up calling them and what they say.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
rcflyerfl

Mike,
I have made the Call and I am now waiting for someone to call back or e-mail me..

Jim
Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
rcflyerfl

And this From Gary Ten pass:

I am going to try this one more time, every time I try to post a reply on the forum, I get kicked off line. Tried to send you an e mail last night and got kicked off line three times, only partway i my e mail.
I have been to Mentone twice. If we call the top of the picture "North", I think that everytinng Nolrth of "L" would be off limits as the runway is busy most of the day. And I theink that there is a "NO FLY" zoneto the Northwest, because of chicken farmers. The no;rmal access to the camping/parking area is right about in the area of the arrow head for "K" . But this access has a dip in it, so the larger campers use a dirt road, just east of "A" , until they come to a dirt road on the south end of the camping/parking area, and anywhere along this road they can drive there big heavy rigs into the camping area, wich may leave ruts. I do know that there are electrical hookups on the West side of "O". When I look at the picture, and I see campers parked along the black line that marks the south side of area "O". So that might mean that there are electrical post in that area also. And area "O" is only about 1 1/2 to 2 times larger than the flying field at Muncie.
There event dosen't seem to sraw in two many spectastors, mostly die hard gyronuts, like ourselves.
But I think that the camping/parking area, is just a mowed farm file , and I don't think that it would be smooth enough for some of us to do a ROG takeoff. There facilities, for showers, are much like you would find in an under funded small high school gym class, built by non professionals. Because most of our group stay at motels, may not be a problem.
I could see a small group of us going there, to give a short demenstration, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to hold our event there. Going to send this now, before I dget kicked off line again.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
AeroBalsa Mike

Jim and Gary,

Thanks for posting that. Based on that info I'm leaning back toward Muncie. The best thing for me would be to visit there during their event and see what it's all about.

Anyway... I'll place my vote for Muncie for the 2009 Gyronuts Fun Fly event.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
JoelW

Hello Jim, Gary, and Mike,

Seems like Muncie would be a better place for us because we could be sure of the conditions we have all ready used in the past.
If I drive from here in Montana I'd like to be sure that was worth the time and money! Muncie can be a sure thing for us if it does get on the schedule. Getting together with you guys is worth the trip if the cost of the fuel dosen't rise beyond reason.

Your friend,

Joel
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 AM
rcflyerfl

Mike,
I should have stopped by there on my way back from Morris.. I am still waiting to hear from them to see what the Boss has to say about us being there and at what cost.

Jim
Old 09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
AeroBalsa Mike

Joel,

You bring up a very good point, and would apply to anyone making a long trip. All the more reason to stick with Muncie for 2009.

As I stated in a previous post, the thing to do would be for me to make a trip over there during their event and check it all out first. Then share the info here with you all and decide if it's a viable site for 2010.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
rcflyerfl

Hi You All,
Back home again, boy that trip took a long time.. Still have not heard from Mentone..
Delivered the Gyro Stick to Charlie Anderson today on the way home..He met me at a Truck stop where I got some Gas..

There was no Gas to be had Sunday in the Atlanta area and I only had about 100 miles left in the tank..

Now I can unload my truck and find that Mouse I stole from Morris,IL. He or She is dead because I smelled it for a few days. Sorry Bernie.

Jim
Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
rcflyerfl

HI Gyronuts,
Call Muncie today and it may be 2 weeks before they make a dicision on what is availible. There are working up a schedule at this time.

Jim
Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 PM
garytenpas

If all else fails, when I asked two years ago, if we could hold the gyro meet at our field, the club was very responsive to the idea. Up until this last year, we probably had the best field in the state. We now have elecdtric at the field, and a camping area, but no water, but water is avaible at a wayside about 1 1/4 miles away. Some pictures of our field can be seen at this website.

http://home.wi.rr.com/sharks1490ama/

This website might not be up for very long, because I think that we are changing web host.

Gary
Old 11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
rcflyerfl

Gary,
Wow what a nice looking field..Looks like the Jets love it. I could have the event at my home field which is all grass an about 100 acres and could take off in most any direction..

Then people could visit Fantasy of Flight, Disney World, and many other place in the area.

I think whats been nice at Morris and Muncie has been that we have a field that will allow us to take off into the prevaling wind most of the time.

Just my thoughts.

Jim
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
AeroBalsa Mike

Gary,

That looks like a beautiful field you guys have up there!

So... what's everyone leaning towards: Muncie or Sheboygan Falls?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 PM
rcflyerfl

Mike,
I have asked to be at Muncie.. At this time I am waiting on AMA Staff to contact me as to what date we can have. I have asked for June 3rd weekend.
. I should know by the early part of December.

Jim
Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
garytenpas

I do think that Munci would be the best site, because it is more centrally located in the United States, I just offered our field, if all else fails.

Our club has a new website http://www.sharksrc.com/ and if you click on "about us" you will se a real nice areial view of our field.

Gary Ten Pas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.