Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions > Executive Vice President Candidate - Horrace Cain
Reload this Page >

Involvement in securing 72 mhz frequencies

Notices
Executive Vice President Candidate - Horrace Cain This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Horrace Cain, an AMA Executive Vice Presidential Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil.

Involvement in securing 72 mhz frequencies

Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Involvement in securing 72 mhz frequencies

You have mentioned your involvement in obtaining our present 72 mHz frequencies. Could you please elaborate as to exactly what your role was in acquiring them?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Involvement in securing 72 mhz frequencies

Red, you already know that information. However to satisfy your appetite to prove I lied about something, I will tell you this.

Go read the minutes of the Nov. 1981 EC meeting. There you will find the "official record" [sm=49_49.gif] that a motion was made to provide the Frequency Committee $10,000.00 to continue their work. In those days that would buy a very nice Auto with all the whistles and bells available. I know because I had just bought one new top-of-line Buick for $9000 +/- which soon became #1 wife's divorce present. [:@]

The original motion, as recorded in the Draft Minutes prior to "official" ( NO, no copies will be made available for any reason.) status, was, "AMA will provide the Frequency Chairman, B A-, with Ten Thousand Dollars, cash, no questions to be asked, no receipts to be required, for his use in obtaining the final release of the approved FCC frequencies."

It was a not-too-difficult sell to get unanimous approval as the other EC members knew I would report any objectors to the membership.

I have never claimed to have been a part of the frequency committee, just that I provided the chairman with the tools to complete his job.
When I want something I BUY it. I'm not much for "begging". [>:] I have also "bought" other favors, so the freq. thing was not a big thing, but it worked so very well. [sm=greedy.gif]

It was some years later that I nominated BA to the AMA Hall of Fame. First time around he was passed over. However a few shots in the buttocks got that corrected. [sm=48_48.gif]
There are those that forget so quickly what others have done for them. BTW, BA WAS THE ONLY REAL WORKING MAN ON THAT COMMITTEE AT THAT TIME. Some of your selected buddies only sat on their lard butts and then yelled, "Look what i did!"
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Significant Accomplishment
As the AMA Dist VI DVP I originated the plan and procedure, Nov. 1981, that provided the AMA Frequency Comm. Chairman the tools to obtain the final release of the 50 FCC 72MHz. frequencies now used by RC airplane modelers, from the FCC Bureaucrats holding up that final release.
The original motion, as recorded in the Draft Minutes prior to "official" ( NO, no copies will be made available for any reason.) status, was, "AMA will provide the Frequency Chairman, B A-, with Ten Thousand Dollars, cash, no questions to be asked, no receipts to be required, for his use in obtaining the final release of the approved FCC frequencies."

It was a not-too-difficult sell to get unanimous approval as the other EC members knew I would report any objectors to the membership.

I have never claimed to have been a part of the frequency committee, just that I provided the chairman with the tools to complete his job.
When I want something I BUY it. I'm not much for "begging". [>:] I have also "bought" other favors, so the freq. thing was not a big thing, but it worked so very well. [sm=greedy.gif]
A follow up question(s)

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here are you indicating that you provided the $10K, or did it come from AMA funds? Your comment "When I want something I BUY it." certainly implies that but since you didn't state it directly it leaves the door open a bit.

Do you know what this $10K was used for, in detail, not just a generic "for his use......"? The "no questions...........no receipts" doesn't necessarily mean you don't have that knowledge. Your wording above certainly gives one the impression that it was bribe money. Is that the case? It certainly sounds so, based on what you said just a few days ago on this board:

"............and I dare say that what I did in Nov. 1981 to secure the release of the new frequencies trading 7 shared-use channels for 50 channels of our own just might have been considered criminal, however it was a small scale criminal thing compared to the stuff that goes on in DC. No regrets here, and I think the statute of limitations is long past."
Interestingly enough, on another board you have indicated, in a posting to me, that your "involvement" in obtaining the frequencies led to your decision to resign your position as DVP:

Along about that time, the Freq. Chairman resigned. Our dealings with FCC may have been very effective, but maybe not exactly proper, so I decided I had had enough wheeling and dealing. I resigned also.
So, is this a reasonable synopsis of the events?

1. You were not on the frequency committee, but either provided or arranged for $10K to be used as bribe money to get the frequencies released.
2. You believe that your actions "might have been considered criminal", but compared to other corruption in DC it amounted to small potatos, and in any event the statute of limitations has expired.
3. Your actions led, at least in part, to your resignation as District VP.
4. Now, 20 years later you're running to become Executive VP and are touting these events as a "significant accomplishment" from your last go around.

I guess the ends justify the means, eh Horrace?

Why on earth would you expect informed AMA members to elect you to any leadership position in the AMA when you've admitted that the last time you were elected you committed acts which you believe may have been criminal, and led you to resign the position?

Unreal.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Bob Mitchell

Horrace,

I have some follow-up questions concerning the release of the frequencies.

As the AMA Dist VI DVP I originated the plan and procedure, Nov. 1981, that provided the AMA Frequency Comm. Chairman the tools to obtain the final release of the 50 FCC 72MHz. frequencies now used by RC airplane modelers, from the FCC Bureaucrats holding up that final release.

A few follow up questions

1. Was this $10K your money or did it come from AMA funds? Your comment “When I want something I BUY it†seems to indicate the answer but I’d like to confirm.

2. Do you know specifically how this money was used? I realize that the draft motion indicates no questions or receipts, but doesn’t rule out your having personal knowledge.

3. A few days ago you made the following comment here on this message board:

"............and I dare say that what I did in Nov. 1981 to secure the release of the new frequencies trading 7 shared-use channels for 50 channels of our own just might have been considered criminal, however it was a small scale criminal thing compared to the stuff that goes on in DC. No regrets here, and I think the statute of limitations is long past."
What specific actions did you take that “might have been considered criminal� Since you opened the door here you might as well step on through, given that you have no regrets, and think the statute of limitations has expired

4. On another message board you have indicated in a posting to me that your involvement in obtaining the frequencies led at least in part to your decision to resign your position as DVP:

Along about that time, the Freq. Chairman resigned. Our dealings with FCC may have been very effective, but maybe not exactly proper, so I decided I had had enough wheeling and dealing. I resigned also.
My question is: Why should informed AMA members vote to elect you to any leadership position in the AMA when you've admitted that the last time elected you committed acts which you believe might have been criminal, and, at least in part, led you to resign the position?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

Horrace,

I have some follow-up questions concerning the release of the frequencies.

A few follow up questions

1. Was this $10K your money or did it come from AMA funds? Your comment “When I want something I BUY it†seems to indicate the answer but I’d like to confirm.
AMA Funds.
2. Do you know specifically how this money was used?
No.

What specific actions did you take that “might have been considered criminal�
My Business. Not yours.
My question is: Why should informed AMA members vote to elect you to any leadership position in the AMA when you've admitted that the last time elected you committed acts which you believe might have been criminal, and, at least in part, led you to resign the position?
My objectives for a future strong responsive AMA are so stated. If the members need more than that to cast a vote for a strong responsive AMA, then so be it.
I don't beg.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Bob Mitchell

AMA Funds.
So YOU didn't buy "it" the AMA did. That's an important distinction.

What specific actions did you take that “might have been considered criminal�
My Business. Not yours.
It's not "my" business. It's the business of the AMA membership whose support you are seeking.

Why did you mention it to begin with?

If in an official AMA capacity, you thought an action might be criminal, and went ahead with it anyway, don't you think those whom you are asking to vote for you now have a reasonable interest in knowing just what it was that you did?
[/quote]
My objectives for a future strong responsive AMA are so stated. If the members need more than that to cast a vote for a strong responsive AMA, then so be it. I don't beg.
No one is asking you to beg. Just to answer a question.

So, you think your objectives balance out the fact that you might have done something illegal in an AMA capacity? How are we to know without knowing what that was?

This is a rock that you turned over, Horrace. No one else. It's information that you volunteered.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Hossfly

This is a rock that you turned over, Horrace. No one else. It's information that you volunteered.
Yup, I did. I also volunteer to limit the information. End of story. [sm=47_47.gif]
Old 09-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Kemosobie

Yup, I did. I also volunteer to limit the information. End of story. [sm=47_47.gif]
I don't think so Mr Cain. The story is just getting started. As they say,you opened the door.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

now, do yall really want him to just come out and say that the money was used to bribe FCC officials to get the Freq use plan moved from the bottom of some unending stack of soon to be done stuff and into the publish now pile?

do ya really think that is necessary for him to state?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Bob Mitchell

If an identical set of circumstances presented itself next year, and if you are sitting on the EC would you do it again?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Hossfly

Such bridges get crossed when I get to them with adequate forward momentum. [sm=pirate.gif]

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
BillHarris

Great, Horrace. A series of vague and ambiguous answers.

Bill
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Bob Mitchell

Another follow up question

From your campaign statement........

You have indicated that you've never claimed to be on the frequency and in agreement, I agree that you have not. It's been demonstrated that you made the motion that provided for the $10K which the committee chair/and/or other members of the committee used. Other than that motion, and your vote for it, did you have any ohter involvement in getting the frequencies released, and if so, what exactly were they.

I'm not probing about the $10K itself, but about work or any activities at all in which you were specifically engaged in which resulted in the release of the frequencies,. Was there anything at all other than the making of the motion and voting for it?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Hossfly

Lots of discussions. While the RC industry was mostly against 50 channels due to the cost of stocking crystals, I well remember that about the only thing I ever agreed with John Worth about is going for all 50 freqs.
That's all you're going to get.
BTW, Mitchell, do you have a license to practice law? You seem to think of yourself as an attorney in a court trial. So unless you are a licensed attorney, don't ask me anymore questions. Even your AMA # will not get an answer.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Bob Mitchell

Lots of discussions. While the RC industry was mostly against 50 channels due to the cost of stocking crystals, I well remember that about the only thing I ever agreed with John Worth about is going for all 50 freqs.
That's all you're going to get.
So, your total involvement in obtaining the frequencies which you describe as .................

"As the AMA Dist VI DVP I originated the plan and procedure, Nov. 1981, that provided the AMA Frequency Comm. Chairman the tools to obtain the final release of the 50 FCC 72MHz. frequencies now used by RC airplane modelers, from the FCC Bureaucrats holding up that final release. "

.......................amounts to some discussions and a motion to provide some additional funds. It seems to me that your claim quoted above sounds more than a bit grandiose, Horrace. More akin to someone who really WAS heavily involved in getting the frequencies.

Any comments?

BTW, Mitchell, do you have a license to practice law? You seem to think of yourself as an attorney in a court trial.
Nope, just an AMA member asking an EVP candidate questions about what appears to be an effort to take significant credit for somthing in which he was only peripherally involved.

So unless you are a licensed attorney, don't ask me anymore questions. Even your AMA # will not get an answer.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
That's your call, of course. However, I will continue to ask questions where I see contradictions or other issues which seem to impact your's or Mark's ability to serve effectively as EVP.