Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Assan X8 2.4 Ghz problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 PM
fastbkp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assan X8 2.4 Ghz problems

I have noticed problems with X8 2.4 Ghz mounted inside a plane.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...723343&page=37

Houston (Meng) we (you) have a BIG problem!

Here are the facts (tests):

1- I have a futaba 9CHPS and a friend of mine a futaba 7UAP, both with X8F and X8R.

2- Last weekend i put it in a wing dragon and had many interference on first flight. The radio stopped respond. Wing dragon fuselage is made of plastic.

3- Two weeks ago, my friend put his X8R on a CAP232 30%, and CRASHED the plane. Today he told me he had the same problem, lockouts, radio stopped respond. It was his first flight too. The plane is made of plywood and monokote.

4- Both system were tested before on STC plane, found here on rcgroups, with receivers exposed to see if everything is working fine. No problem here. We fly as far as we can see; i think 300-400m.

5- Today he put the X8R on a Great planes Sukhoi .61, and the same problem happened, lockouts, failsafe mode. The plane is made of balsa. At 100m distance failsafe was entering in action.

Conclusion for now:
The X8R receiver doesn´t work inside a fuselage! That´s fact!
No matter the plane made of balsa, plywood or plastic.
I think antenna must be outside fuselage.

I tested today X8R7 on STC i fly almost 400m away without problem, BUT don´t forget the receiver is outside the plane.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:55 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Assan X8 2.4 Ghz problems

Another example of cheap products. Why anyone would want to use a unknown company in their planes just because of cost only is beyond my understanding. How much did he lose in that 30% and at what risk did he put others in the area? The why it failed is unimportant. There's already three systems that are working, don't risk failure or harm based on cost. Dennis
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure wish the link would work.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
XJet
Banned

I must admit that I was concerned when I saw the Assan X8's original receiver -- no antenna diversity, just a simple dipole.

I recently tested another Chinese 2.4GHz system -- the iMAX 9X 2.4 and found it to work without any significant problems (albeit it's not something I'd use on a large or expensive model for reasons I'll outline in my review). For the price it represents pretty fair value for sport-flying and especially helicopter use. ([link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpYLgyxM40]YouTube video[/link])

One thing I did like about the iMAX 2.4GHz system is that it comes with a satellite receiver as standard and my testing indicated that the correct positioning and orientation of this satellite was critical to the performance of the gear.

The test system has now been flown extensively for over three weeks (it's mid-summer here so there's lots of flying going on) and hasn't missed a beat, even when competing with other 2.4GHz systems for spectrum allocation.

I'm just about to start some tech-testing to see how well it handles really adverse conditions but based on initial observations I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as robust as Spektrum/JR or Futaba FASST.

If I had an ASSAN set I'd run the same tests on it, to get a comparison.

The Chinese *will* become a strong force in the 2.4GHz market but I think we're still seeing first-generation stuff from them which, while it may be fine for parkfliers, helis and sport flying -- is not yet up to the task of larger models or gas-planes where reliability
of control is also an extreme safety issue.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased the new 9 Channel, long antenna version from Hobby King, installed in my Giant UCD with a Moki 2.10 on it, with the 8 channel transmitter module in my 9Z. Could not tell the difference between the $200 PCM receiver and the $40 Assan 2.4 receiver. No glitches, qwerks, or problems at all. Range checked out to 500 yards, couldn't loose the signal, got tired of walking. Flew out well over 1,000 yards, no problems. The long antennas are mounted 90 degrees apart, inside the fuselage. They are about the same size and weight as my old 6 channel JR Spread Spectrum receivers, only with longer antennas and less expensive white plastic covering. I just ordered 4 more tonight, after the great success with my first one yesterday.

I have a Giant Scale Decathalon, with a 45cc gas engine, I will test out on next. They require initial linking with a jumper on the signal pins of channels 1 and 3. Once linked, they are linked for good, unless you need to relink then to a new different module.

Hope this answers the question about large scale. I also purchased 4 7 channel receivers, but I think they really belong in park flyers or other smaller planes. Haven't played with them yet, beyond linking and installing in little electrics.

Hope others post their results soon.
Thanks