Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Trinity Now 1st Impression

Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trinity Now 1st Impression

Wow this thing has come down in price quite a bit, i'd get one if I was still into mini's.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 AM
wootham

ORIGINAL: hofer07

Hurry, Hurry

A-main has spur gears in stock. I bought 4.[8D]

Ah yes, I do believe I mentioned that Trinity has parts in stock four days earlier I bought four spur gears as well Ironically the truggy seems to be working flawlessly now that I have plenty of parts I would have to say that once you get through all the headaches and frustrations with this thing ist is clearly worth the money considering what you get.

If someone is just about to purchase one I HIGHLY recommend reading through this entire NOW forum otherwise you might feel a little like this if you dont - [sm=punching.gif]
Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
ericke1

I bought 2 spur gears, now what is the best way to replace them gears?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 AM
XavierG

What is the maximum lipo for the trinity now? And how long of rolling?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
big terp 77

what wheel/tire combination can i go with for the Now?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
KRO

What is the maximum lipo for the trinity now? And how long of rolling?
There are a couple of companies that make LiPo's too fit the NOW , I use an Aero Nuts eXtreme series battery and use several other batteries from them all have worked very well .

[link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_57&products_id=453]Aero Nuts 11.1v 2200 mAh battery [/link]

I get about 30 minutes of running from mine ......

what wheel/tire combination can i go with for the Now?
[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8050&cat_name=]3 Racing Mini Inferno ST wheels [/link]

These will bolt right on and use the same hex size , you can also use MLST wheels/tires if you use the MLST wheel hexes .

Hey guys , I might have a solution too the weak diffs in the NOW , I mocked up a Mini Inferno 09 diff and its a direct fit !

The bearings are the same size and fit the NOW's diff cases like a glove , the Mini Inferno 09 diff pinion gear also fits the NOW's spur gear shaft and looks to be made out of stronger metal than the NOW diff pinion gear . And they are sealed diffs and tuneable with diff fluid !

Here is a parts list for anybody thats interested .....

[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=9006&cat_name=MINI%20INFERNO%2009]Diff cases [/link]

[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8578&cat_name=MINI%20INFERNO%2009]Diff drive cups[/link]

[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8362&cat_name=MINI%20INFERNO%2009]Diff gears [/link]

[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8576&cat_name=MINI%20INFERNO%2009]Diff small parts[/link]
Old 06-14-2008, 02:07 AM
XavierG

Thank you very muck KRO!

Is this worth trouble to put a more powerful motor on the trinity or it is very rather quick?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 AM
KRO

The NOW is plenty fast stock IMO ....
Old 06-14-2008, 03:03 PM
XavierG

Yeah good then
Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
YUP5588

Thinking of ordering up a Trinity NOW from Tower, that or a HPI MT2 3.0G (HPI fan boy [:@]) - but the NOW looks like some super fun and that it would be easier to travel with on bashing trips.

Anyways, anyone have some good suggestions for some hop-ups that I should throw at the truck? Was thinking of some aluminum gear. I was also wondering if the 2 speed from the NEXT would fit in the NOW and if it's worth picking up.

Hook a brother up with some links so that I can get to ordering and get to bashing.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
KRO

Thinking of ordering up a Trinity NOW from Tower, that or a HPI MT2 3.0G (HPI fan boy ) - but the NOW looks like some super fun and that it would be easier to travel with on bashing trips.

Anyways, anyone have some good suggestions for some hop-ups that I should throw at the truck? Was thinking of some aluminum gear. I was also wondering if the 2 speed from the NEXT would fit in the NOW and if it's worth picking up.

Hook a brother up with some links so that I can get to ordering and get to bashing.

Thanks guys.
Just read through this thread , all the links you need should be there .......The Next 2 speed will not fit the now and besides its really not needed .

If I were you I would get the MT2 G3.0 , the NOW is pretty good but its kinda weak in certain areas and the quality control is pretty bad , some people have had good luck with it some have not .

I am STILL waiting on some KMI 09 diff parts to finish my NOW and then it should be pretty durable ......
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 AM
ncalenda

The problem we are having is that the front turnbuckles are bending way to fast, we built a dirt track and after one race they are bent.

Are there any aluminum ones that will fit the NOW?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
KRO

Get the titanium set for the KMI mini inferno ST , they will hold up too the abuse ....

[link=http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8833&cat_name=]Mini Inferno ST turnbuckle set[/link]
Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM
ncalenda

Great, I will try these. Will they fit on the stock setup?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
ncalenda

We built an outside track and when we run the NOW trucks the steering will get messed up. We find that it won't turn to the right, we pick up the truck, and visually it looks good. I also noticed that when you straighten it that will go off as well. I'm using a 2.4Ghz radio which I use on other trucks, so it is not that.

Do you think it is the servo or the hardware?

It is a pain, we can't be adjusting it before, during and after a race.

More info, I notice the plastic servo arm will bend, so I was thinking of getting an aluminum arm.

I also think that the servo is not going back to dead center when the radio is set to center.

When I use it, let's say I set the center, the truck goes straight. Even in the house on carpet, and doing laps around the living room, the center will be off after a few laps. So, I adjust it on the radio and then run it again, same thing over and over.

There has to be a way to get this to work better, so I was thinking a new aluminum servo arm and a new digital servo.

I have no idea what servo is best for a 1/16th truck, any ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
ncalenda

I called trinity, and they said it is the servo, so I need a better one. Which one is a good one for racing that will fit the Trinity?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
KRO

I called trinity, and they said it is the servo, so I need a better one. Which one is a good one for racing that will fit the Trinity?
You can mod a 1/10 servo too fit , all you have too do is drill 1 hole .
Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 AM
catbutt

My friends and I (there are 4 of us in all) recently purchased NOWs to race on the track we built in my backyard. We are all happy with the truck so far and have had few problems with them. We each had to replace the stock low-torque steering servo with a Hi-Tech HS-81 micro servo or it's digital equivalent. This was necessary in order to turn the wheels in dirt, but I normally replace stock RTR radio gear anyway, so it is a minor gripe at best. The trucks handle great on the track, which is very technical and requires precise throttle management and following the proper line. There is more than enough power available and we have no problem hitting the 10ft triple with a scant 10ft run-up after a sharp, un-banked turn which drops your speed to next to nothing. We could easily move the launch for the triple back another 5ft and make it a 20ft'er. The truck also seems well designed (looks alot like my MT2) and is durable for what we have put it through. We race hard, but not carelessly and have had next to no problems so far. Admittedly QC on the build stunk, but this is par for the course on RTR's. I found a slightly loose screw or 2 and a leaky shock on my strip-down and rebuild, but nothing other than that. Another of us was missing a pin for the wheel hex (was inconvenient) and e-clip, another of us was missing a wheel hex/pin and also had a leaky shock. All quality control issues, none were fatal or deal-breakers. I fully expect to either be missing a few parts or find a few loose or improperly assembled items in ANY RTR I buy and tear down and rebuild each before they are run. This is common and should be standard practice for anyone who buys any RTR- period. Two of us bent the turnbuckle that connects the front upper A-arm after hitting the 2x4s we were using to mark out the track before we had finished it. Hitting a low, hard obstacle at an oblique angle while at near full throttle tends to have that effect. Since finishing the track we have had no further problems, but it is still very early in the game. I'll report back after a few hard race weekends with some more pics or vids.
Here is a link to the Vids I have of the track, sorry, no races, just the track. Let me know what you think!
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7861666/tm.htm[/link]
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 AM
catbutt

If anyone has an interest, I found another set of tires for the NOW/NEXT. This is one area I found to be lacking with the NOW, the serious deficiency of tire options available. This and the lame RTR steering servo are the only real problems I have found thus far. The tires that I am aware will work with the NOW are the stockers, which aren't a bad tire and the 3 Racing Mini Inferno ST wheels. To this HUGE list of 2 options I add the DuraTrax Split Block Mini Quake tires. They fit the stock Trinity rims and are nearly identical in size, being 1mm less wide and 6mm smaller in diameter. They basically look like low profile tires, sporty and slick. I haven't tested them out on the track yet, but I expect to like them. The lower side bite will add to the tendency to slide in a turn, which suits my driving style. I like to have the rear break loose in a tight turn when I let off the throttle but bite and straighten out when adding power. I hope to see an improvement over the stockers in this area- tomorrow will tell the tale...

Link to the mini Quake split blocks at tower:
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJRW3[/link]
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 AM
noxx69

I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with Trinity. I got back into the hobby and the shop in Denver where I was talked into buying a Next will remain nameless because the owner is a very cool guy and didn't do anything wrong. Also if the Next didn't f*ck up in the way it did I would not have 5 cars now with my baby being a Associated RC8T with an O.S. .28XZ Turbo Plug motor.

Anyways this piece of crap Next on the first day stripped the micro steering servo which I replaced with a Futaba 5453MG which was $40. Then the a few days later the throttle servos stripped along with the stock plastic diff set so lucky on the opposite side of town a shop had one of the metal gear diffs and and it was 1/2 off along with the front one and the 2 speed transmission. That transaction was $50 and you would think great all set right? WRONG on the 6th day pull start broke. I called Trinity and they said to try www.amainhobbies.com
or www.towerhobbies.com which I did. I also tried my local Hobby Town USA every shop and distributor says the part's discontinued which makes sense now because I know there is a NEXT Super Truggy coming out. I called Trinity and told them that no one has a pull start for the next.

I swear a NOW Super Truggy will be in this long tale. I called Trinity was put on hold for 40+ mins then sent to general voicemail, I was pissed I called back 20+ times until someone answered. I was cool didn't blow my stack and said I have invested over $100 in the little truggy need a pull start. I was told no problem and for all my troubles we will upgrade you to a rotostart which I use on my RC8T and it starts like a dream so I was stoked. 3 weeks later I call because it was no rotor start had showed and I was told it would be here that day. I open my front door and low and behold there was an package from Trinity and I open it to my displeasure is a new pull start.

I install the thing and fuel her up and glow the plug and start pulling and pulling and pulling. I got it started a few times and now power now. I was beyond frustrated and pissed and Trinity I just put it up and enjoyed my RC8T, my TamTech Hornet with a frenzy motor, Mini-T oil shocks, 1/18 MGT Rear tires and Mini-T front tires and I also bought a Mini-LST from www.amainhobbies.com for $100. So I had plenty to keep my busy but just the other day after move I found the box and pulled out that money pit and just called Trinity to see what to do with this paper weight. I took it to a couple shops so and was not charged cause neither shop could get it fixed.

I had now expectation when calling and getting a hold of Chad Phillips, I told all that was going on and I was at my wits end. I stated I love a lot of Trinity products but because of the headache and he $340 buck I wasted on this Truggy I didn't feel right using there products. I explained what I thought would be ideal and that was some kind of NEXT to NOW conversion kit. I'm not sure if Chad was even listening because to my suprise and delight he says "well I don't have any NEXT's in would a NOW be ok"!!! I had to not act to excited and I just got the tracking number so I just wanted to post this novel to state that it's always worth keeping a customer happy then pissing them off. Even having my sights on the new Tamiyia 801XT Truggy and having a sick RC8T to drive now a brushless li-po 3s 11.1 on/off road Truggy is exciting cause of how ***** some people are about Nitro.

Any one looking for a fu@king bad ass Truggy motor spend the money on the new O.S. .28ZX if ****ing destroys. My RC8T has been wasting the guys with the new Kyosho ST-RR and one of my friends is a better driver then me and has the ST-RR with the .28ZX and I have been beating him and he hates it and he paid $220 more than me cause www.amainhobbies.com has the RC8T for $520.

Sorry, I'm way off subject I will keep you posted on my NOW experience.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
crnook

My wife got me a NOW for fathers day. Like many others have found out mine has spent more time broken than running. After thread-locking all the motor mounting screws (all 6) and adding nuts to the lower 2 screws that go up through the chassis I have not stripped any more spurs. I think that the spur gear actually sticks below the chassis a bit and that lends to nicking the gear. The forward edge of my gear has more nicks in it that the middle or rear edge.

I just blew out my 3rd rear diff. I am going to give the diff's mentioned above a try and see if they hold up.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
KRO

Get the complete diffs for the Mini Inferno 09 ST , they are a direct drop in and you can tune them with diff oil .

BTW , if anybody wants too buy my NOW with all the hop ups ....

Full alloy suspension from Mini Inferno ST makes it about 3/4 inch wider .
Mini Inferno 09 ST diffs , no more stripped diffs and you can tune them with diff oil .
MIP CVD's and diff cups , no more cracked diff cups or popped out dogbones .
Full sized Futaba 3305MG steering servo , steering is nice and smooth .
Alloy shocks and titainium turnbuckles and steering links .
Alloy battery hold down .
Custom C/F brace for the motor mount , no more stripped spur gears .
3 Racing truggy wheels .
Custom painted body and stock body , both in great shape .

I have been thinking about selling it , I put alot of time and effort into making it darn near bullit proof and I have addressed all the weak points in it . Its a bad ash **** on the track for sure ....
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM
ludeman

ORIGINAL: KRO

Get the complete diffs for the Mini Inferno 09 ST , they are a direct drop in and you can tune them with diff oil .

BTW , if anybody wants too buy my NOW with all the hop ups ....

Full alloy suspension from Mini Inferno ST makes it about 3/4 inch wider .
Mini Inferno 09 ST diffs , no more stripped diffs and you can tune them with diff oil .
MIP CVD's and diff cups , no more cracked diff cups or popped out dogbones .
Full sized Futaba 3305MG steering servo , steering is nice and smooth .
Alloy shocks and titainium turnbuckles and steering links .
Alloy battery hold down .
Custom C/F brace for the motor mount , no more stripped spur gears .
3 Racing truggy wheels .
Custom painted body and stock body , both in great shape .

I have been thinking about selling it , I put alot of time and effort into making it darn near bullit proof and I have addressed all the weak points in it . Its a bad ash **** on the track for sure ....
Funny thing KRO is you no longer have a TRINKITY NOW you have a total rebuild, it's more like the KRONOW..... Say it with a Klingon grunt
Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 AM
KRO

LOL , true .... But this is what the NOW COULD have been !

I guess I could call it a LATER ?

I would keep it , but I dont have anyone too run it with , all of my buds have REVO's and LST2's and never got into the mini scene like I did ....
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 AM
catbutt

Come to Cali and you can run with my 3 buds and myself on my backyard track. We all have NOWs so you would fit right in. The only probs we have had have been dogbone and axle-shaft cup bends but we now know why this occurs and have managed to avoid it thus far. The problem lies in the fact that the slot in the axle-shaft cup is large enough to allow the dogbone shaft to get stuck in it during a hard turn when the shocks are fully depressed. Check it out and you will see what I mean. The answer is not to land a jump with the wheel turned fully. Sometimes this cannot be avoided but most times it can. Now that we are better used to driving my track we haven't had it happen in a while. Other than that we have had no problems, no spur stripping, no diff issues, none of that. Not saying the NOW is the greatest car ever but we have had some decent luck with ours so far, knock on wood.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.