Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

covering cowling

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

covering cowling

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM
madmanmikie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering cowling

hello, is it possible to cover abs cowling on a great planes 300s with monokote covering ? if so what is the best method to use? widex or low heat or covering slovent. thanks for any response.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: covering cowling

I really don't know on the ABS. I've covered quite a few balsa cowls & you just gotta work slow & Not burn through the covering. I suggest taking a piece of scrap covering & practice to see how much heat & streaching it will take before splitting. Then set your iron back one notch & have at it.. Why not just paint ??
Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

It will not work!
john
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you try to iron on covering, don't use monokote, but one of the foam friendly ones. I suspect that by the time you monokote hot enough to start forming, the ABS will gladly start deforming. The windex metod will only work on a flat surface. You can pull it around a curve as there is zero holding power until it has setup for a couple days.

Try the Krylon Fusion paint. They have a wide range of colors and some matchup with Monokote colors fairly close. If you let it dry for a week or more, it is fairly Hot fuel proof. The thing to watch with any of the spray paints though it compatability. If you have tried one, then decide to try another, you may end up with a real mess as the first coat starts to bubble. I did that with a set of wheel pants and I ended up taking everything back down to the base and started over.

Don
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only time I have had paint bubble and peel was when I use the wrong paint/prime combo. That sure messed up what was starting to look good too. If you can try getting your paint at A hobby shop, testors or mid wets, maybe ultracote?? That is if you can find A match to your covering. If you can't then try what Don said. It takes about 10 days or so for that paint to set up to be fuel proof but it does A good job. That rust paint works too but watch the prime!!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Campgems

The time I had the problem was when I primed with Krylon, the painted with it. Then decided it would be a good idea to put on a couple coats of clear TopFlight Monokote fuelproof spray, Top kote I think it was. That's what did it in. I think the next time I need to paint a cowl or wheel pants, I'll do that before starting the build. That way they will be dry and ready to fly when the plane is.

Don
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
madmanmikie

hello everybody, thank you all for the advice given. I primed with lustercoat primer, an found a close color match with a testor metalic paint . an also i would like to spray a final coat of lustercoat clear over the top. will this lustercaot bubble with combination? or come up with different color scheme. thanks mike
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After messing up so many paint jobs I don't trust things A lot so I always test before painting. As I recall the Testors is fuel proof but you really have to let it set up for A while.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Campgems

Man, don't you miss the "bananna oil" smell of the old Aero Glos paint. To many almost choices today.

Testing the paint before painting your model is very good advise. It's a lot easier throwing away a pice of scrap cardboard than trying to salvage a screwed up finish on your model.

If you find one combo that works, stick with it. The Krylon Fusion has a primer, several finish colors and a clear glossy top coat that are all compatable with each other, and if you let them set and cure long enough, they are hot fuel proof. It's when you start mixing brands, or even different lines in the same brand that you start to get yourself into trouble.

I remember from almost 60 years past, "MOM how come I have to learn things the hard way?" Looking back, those are the leasons I remembered. A lot of the easyones have slipped by the way side.

Don
Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI, but if you paint the pvc with automotive primer first you can indeed cover a pvc cowl. I did one on a Lanier Ultimate Pitts. The covering bonds to the primer nicely. Takes a lot of time, pulling, and patience but it can be done. Select a color of primer that won't effect the color of the coloring after application.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
minitelemaster

Is the problem with covering an abs cowl that the abs will melt and deform, or is it that the covering will not stick to the abs?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 AM
outdoorhunting

It will melt the cowl, probably before it sticks.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
madmanmikie

Hello again, thanxs for the advise, I tried a sample with lustercoat primer, then testor's silver meltallic paint, the also a 2nd coat of the testor's bugandy metallic paint the a final coat of lustercoat clear paint over the top of it all. And today when I looked at the sample I had no bubbles or anything as far as i could tell for now. I will wait a couple more days to see if their is any changes to the sample. I will keep you all posted. Again thahk you all mike
Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Take a sample of your covering to a paint store and have a quart of LATEX custom mixed (cost ABOUT $10 ). I use high build auto primer. Spray the latex on (25 - 30 psi will give the best results). Let dry for 7 - 10 days. Clearcoat with "Dupli-Color ACRYLIC engine enamel" (get it at an auto parts house) and let dry about 72 hours.

You will get AN EXACT MATCH to the covering. Latex it easy to use, however it does require a clearcoat.