Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SAPAC Saab JAS-39 Are finally In

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

SAPAC Saab JAS-39 Are finally In

Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
hapyjac2
My Feedback: (927)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAPAC Saab JAS-39 Are finally In

Hey Bob,

Same thing happened to me on my maiden. I almost aborted the takeoff then it shot up like a rocket. Shocked the heck out of me.
I did adjust the angle of attack by raising the front and lowering the rear by changing the wheel size. Also found by adding a little weight to the rear helped alot.
I also removed the Ordinance, bought me some more speed. But does not look as good [&o]. I set my expo about +40 and she handles well.

www.homenhobbyshop.com
SAPAC Dealer
Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
gwong
My Feedback: (1)

Gents,

I bought mine yesterday, it's the ARF w/stock motor. I haven't started the build yet and was wondering what the performance is like with the stock motor.

Here is my setup

Stock Motor
Turnigy 80A ESC
4S 2100mah lipo x 2
3 HS65
1 6100e Rx

Thx,

Gord.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM
anthodenn

Gord, It flys very stable. Flyers call this a no stress plane....and me too! Here's my experience from ....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...829331&page=78 and here is where someone flying..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829331

This past Sunday I had my 2nd flight with my Gripen and I have to say that I really like the way this plane flies. For me, it flies different I think because of it's size. Although this jet is a floater and all, it still has it's unique characteristics about the way it flies.
Anyway,about the flight report, my brother (a Ornithopter guy) like before is the hand launch guy for me. I would hand launch myself but it's too big for my comfort level and experience on it, at least for now, although Tumbler said it's easy to hand launch. Well, needless to say we was (like the first flight) both nervous. I know, I should have been the one nervous with hands a shaking. And I was! So with the first attempt I started with full throttle and my brother with a little run in his step threw the plane but the plane's rt wing missile rack clipped his head and broke off in two pieces along with one wing tank armament that I had underneath the wing. But I was fortunate enough to save the plane and landed on it's belly. Needless to say he was so sorry and wanted to give his first born child. But instead I took off the other wing missile rack to make it look even. The 2nd attempt went well. And the plane climed effortlessly in the sky. I leveled out at about 400 or 500 ft and then started circling it around us in the sky. Then I climed some more wanting to see how it would do in powerless flight so I cut the motor and watch it glide and float back down to earth....beautiful. Then I wanted to see how fast it can go and pushed the throttle up and did a high speed past. It wanted to speed up but due to the time of day the sun was again going down quickly so I didn't bother because it was getting small quick when I punch it and when its far away during that time of day, I can get disoriented. Well coming around the canopy flew off but my brother saw it and went to go get it while i had it come around to us for an beautiful approach when he uttered...Ooooo!...Wooooow! as the plane just slow glided in just about at his feet. And so, that is my saga of the great experience with my Sapac Gripen.
I wish you guys the best with your Gripens.
-Anthony
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
byrocat

I got one of the ARF kits for Christmas and am trying to fiugre out the instruction manual versus the parts. It really looks as though the instructions were written with a real lots-of-parts kit in mind and don't match the AR version at all.

I also noticed that Happyjac's pictures at the start of the thread show the ARF with the left and right halves not joined (mione seems to be as there are no bands holding everything in place (as shown in his initial pictures.)

On examining the kit, I found at least two servo wires dangling (rudder wire is has a loop and the extension connector completely outside) and one loop on the inside of the exhaust ductwork.

Is there a thread or on-line manual that covers the construction?

Or is this a return trip to the hobby shop and request another one?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM
hapyjac2
My Feedback: (927)

I read your post, and am curious to what you are refering to.
All the ARF kits come with the fuse in two halves that must be joined, and the front section also, basicaslly the fuse is in 4 parts. So I was wondering what you were commenting about. And yes the Manual, leaves a bit to be desired but it does outine the construction well enough.
If you have any questions, ask away, and maybe I can help.

[email protected]

www.homenhobbyshop.com
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
jetnmann

I FINALLY GOT MINE IN THE AIR TODAY AFTER MINOR CHANGES TO THE WHEELS AND GEAR.THE STOCK SET UP WITH 4CELL BE PREPARED FOR A LONG TAKE OFF THIS PLANE NEEDS SPEED TO ROTATE WITH THE STOCK SET UP. THE PLANE FLEW GOOD NOT GREAT SPEED BUT I REALLY DIDNT HAVE IT ON ANY LOW PASSES,. NEED TO TRIM IT OUT. THE PLANE LANDS GOOD COMES IN NICE AND SLOW. BUT PLEASE DO NOT FLY ON A SHORT RUNWAY YOU WILL RUN OUT OF ROOM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What gear are you using? Which battery & EDF? I know you said stock.

I fly mine from a baseball diamond for takeoff and landing no problems.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
jetnmann

I AM USING THE FAN AND MOTOR THAT CAME WITH THE KIT A 60 E-FLITE SPEED CONTROL 2 FLIGHTPOWER 1600 14.8 20C PACKS IN PARALLEL WHAT SETUP ARE YOU USING AND HOW CLOSE IS YOUR CG TO THE RECOMENDED SPOT ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
TWD

Question:

I am building the Sapac Saab JAS-39. I am going to build completely stock. I am going to install the fan in the rear in order to better balance out the airplane. The question I have is the cone shaped tube that connects to the back of the fan housing! What is it's purpose and if it is required how are you fastening it to the housing.

Thank for your help,

Rob
TWD
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Cdr.Instigator

Tagged
Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: TWD

Question:

I am building the Sapac Saab JAS-39. I am going to build completely stock. I am going to install the fan in the rear in order to better balance out the airplane. The question I have is the cone shaped tube that connects to the back of the fan housing! What is it's purpose and if it is required how are you fastening it to the housing.

Thank for your help,

Rob
TWD
Hi Rob, Don't use the cone on the back of the motor. It will over heat your motor and demag it.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old 12-18-2019, 05:09 PM
pmnolan

Default Saab s-35 gog

Can anybody let me know the COG for the SAPAC JAS-35 Gripen. i recently purchased one to restore and fly.

the previous owner does not remember where it was.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2265923  
Old 05-04-2020, 03:47 PM
byrocat

My manual is somewhere in the basement, but my 2008 vintage ARF is back on the workbench to get set up for the first flight sometime this summer if the COVID-19 lockdown is lifted here in Ontario.

Flip over your model and look for a flat spot (where the liquid foam was injected into the wing moulds) about 2.5 CM in diameter, about 11.5 CM in front of the landing gear bracket and about halfway between the line of the landing gear bracket and the leading edge. The balance point (CofG) is the center of that flat spot. I put a pen dot in the center of that flat spot.

Took a picture of my scissors pointing out that spot but my laptop is not talking with my cellphone at the moment. Meanwhile, I'm going to try to get one of my rules in the right spot so you'll understand the geometry that I'm trying to describe.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM
byrocat

Found a fuzzy picture of the kit under construction, and put an arrow pointing towards one of the flat sport that I was talking about. Does this make sense?

Old 05-10-2020, 02:24 PM
pmnolan

Default Cog jas 39

Thanks Byrocat,
That is awasome, i will now make sure the balance is correct.
I am putting the fan in the back of the Jet as there is a place already setup for a 70mm. This will fly from a bungee as i did not get the wheels and the previous owner said it was fine belly landing.
Covid-19 has meant i am finishing off projects and not repairing so i have heaps of planes to maiden when we get to go back to flying in Australia.

Thanks Again for the information.
Regards,

Phil
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM
byrocat

I know the feeling, but I seem to run out of parts and bits and pieces that necessitate a trip to the local hobby shop or an e-mail purchase.

Not sure if you have been looking around for bungee systems and launchers, but there's a guy in Australia name Jofro (jopro ????) whos uses short bungees and a one- handed approach. He seems to hang out on RCGroups and has a slightly peculiar approach that works for him.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-launch-setup

I'm going to stick with the ramp-and-bungee-with-foot-pedal approach so I have both hands on the sticks.

Here a Flitetest video on the setup that I'm looking at, plus there's LeadFoot's setup from my RCCanada thread,

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/bungee-launcher

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...d.php?t=591715