Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New Buggy Where to Start !!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 AM
gerry37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buggy Where to Start !!

Gday there folks ,I am new to rc nitro and need some advice on a choice of buggy , I can drive rc ok and am mechanicaly minded so I could build , i have had advice to buy a RTR
but I want a buggy that is very competitive and that I could build up or add to later with a better engine exaust ect.
The local guy recomended a habao ST but i have been all over the net and am thinking maybe a losi 8ight or a hot boddies buggy.
would probably prefer a top notch RTR thats upgradable later.
Would appreciate any help ,we can get most rc cars in aussie but if not thats what the internet is for cheers Gerry.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
For_The_Win

Default RE: New Buggy Where to Start !!

ORIGINAL: gerry37

Gday there folks ,I am new to rc nitro and need some advice on a choice of buggy , I can drive rc ok and am mechanicaly minded so I could build , i have had advice to buy a RTR
but I want a buggy that is very competitive and that I could build up or add to later with a better engine exaust ect.
The local guy recomended a habao ST but i have been all over the net and am thinking maybe a losi 8ight or a hot boddies buggy.
would probably prefer a top notch RTR thats upgradable later.
Would appreciate any help ,we can get most rc cars in aussie but if not thats what the internet is for cheers Gerry.
Umm.. Think your probably wanting one of these... The Team Associated Rc8, Hot Bodies D8 or the Lighting 2 pro evo, Ofna Hyper 8.5 and the Losi 8ight 2.0

Those are the best there is in my opion..
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

First the Hobao ST is not a buggy it is a truggy but a good one. If you want top notch start with a pro kit. You will save a lot of money in the end if you want a top notch buggy. The best bang for the buck Hobao Hyper 8.5 or try the new Hot Bodies D8.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
gerry37

OK if you had buckets of cash (i wish) what buggy would be your your ultimate
Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 AM
musclecar64

Go with an Associated RC8. If you have the money and patience, get the new AE big bore shocks and do the new steering mod. You're lookin' at about an extra $200 with those. But, they make it like a whole new car. If I didn't love my RC8 so much I'd definately say Losi 8ight 2.0.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 AM
gerry37

Thanks mate the buggys look awsome , i suppose i should look abit further into easy access to parts here in aussie, LOSI 8ight I can get RC8 not sure but will definatly look into Cheers
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
46u

If I had buckets of money I would still go with a Hyper 8.5 or the D8 or wait to see how the Hyper 9 does when it hits the streets.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
A.B.U

IF I had buckets of cash..

Kyosho MP9, Os Speed, whatever OS pipe, Spektrum DX3R, and some good JR servos.

[8D]
Old 10-18-2008, 05:53 PM
chrobar

Why not buy them all if you have buckets of cash? LOL. I think the new Mugen MBX6 is a great looking buggy. Also the Hot bodies D8, being one of the cheapest (-$400) is a GREAT deal and buggy. If price is in your mind at all, take a look at the D8 or the new CEN Matrix R2, which will be about the same price when it's released (any day now...)
Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Ozmick

Gerry, after just getting a new buggy. Bang for buck, availability of parts, robustness just get a GV XT2 Pro.
Comes with full alloy hop ups, carbon upper deck and a .28 force motor. mine has taken a pounding and loves it.
If I was looking at something better then I would get an RC8 or Hyper 8.5/9 but the parts are a little harder to get for the RC8.
It comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what you like at the time.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Ozmick

Gerry, after just getting a new buggy. Bang for buck, availability of parts, robustness just get a GV XT2 Pro.
Comes with full alloy hop ups, carbon upper deck and a .28 force motor. mine has taken a pounding and loves it.
If I was looking at something better then I would get an RC8 or Hyper 8.5/9 but the parts are a little harder to get for the RC8.
It comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what you like at the time.
A .28 is not race legal and is a fuel hog.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 PM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

buy a pro kit of waht you think is the best buggy for you dont buy rtr just a waist you will be buying hop ups any way theay ar already in the prokit
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Ozmick

ORIGINAL: 46u

Race legal? he did not state that he was going to race it, that is the standard engine thet the Aussie XT2 Pro is sold with.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: 46u

Race legal? he did not state that he was going to race it, that is the standard engine thet the Aussie XT2 Pro is sold with.
If you read his original post he said he wanted something competitive so to me this means he is going to race. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit he said very competitive.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Ozmick

Ummmm, does it really matter?
I only told him that the XT2 Pro in Oz comes with a .28
Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
46u

Does not matter to me but does to a person that is going to race and they go by sanction rules. A lot of club racing they just let you run what you bring. I was not trying to start a flame I was just stating a fact just in case. No problem all is good.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Ozmick

No drama's either mate, just letting him know whats out there as some options are different in each country
ie GV vs XTM
Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
razzor

Casterracing ZX-1R RTR !!!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
hakmazter

Australia? definitely Caster Racing. I am 99% sure there is a distributor in New Zealand so parts would not be an issue. There are several people who take Caster RTRs and race very competitively with them.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
catbutt

+1 on getting a pro kit over a RTR. A: You get a better value for your hard earned cash, most include hop-ups and better quality parts. B: You learn it's ins and outs as you build it which makes repairs much easier as you know what you are doing and where to do it. C: YOU build it which is half the fun. D: YOU build it which means you can be sure it's done right. E: YOU build it which means you put into it the parts YOU choose, not crappy RTR electronics, unless you decide to put them in. F: Satisfaction of having done it yourself from start to finish, including your own paint job. G: Having a unique rig to show off at the track is it's own reward.
I just finished a Losi 8ight pro kit converted to electric, had a blast doing it. Tested it over the weekend and am very pleased with the buggy. Here are some shameless pics of the results:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45508.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1056061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23399.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1056062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22613.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1056063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85956.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1056064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36532.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1056065  
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
JamminRoger

The Hyper 7 TQ is an excellent choice. Another car you might consider would be the new OFNA Picco Buggy. It comes equipped with a Picco .21, 16mm super big bore shocks and the super durable 9.5 MBX Pivot ball chassis. You can get it at nitrohouse.com for $350. There are tons of hop ups for the Picco buggy to. Every thing from all the regular pro kit carbon parts to cnc shock towers, etc.

Roger
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Echelon

ORIGINAL: JamminRoger

The Hyper 7 TQ is an excellent choice. Another car you might consider would be the new OFNA Picco Buggy. It comes equipped with a Picco .21, 16mm super big bore shocks and the super durable 9.5 MBX Pivot ball chassis. You can get it at nitrohouse.com for $350. There are tons of hop ups for the Picco buggy to. Every thing from all the regular pro kit carbon parts to cnc shock towers, etc.

Roger
Hmm I've seen those buggys, they don't look very competative to me though... They're more for the budget/beginner minded bashers.