Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Fist time build

Old 10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Adam_Reavey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fist time build

I will be starting to build my car at the week end and as it is the first one i am building i was hoping you guys could give me some advise and fings to do and not to do. It wil be a Hot Bodies D8, also dose it come with step by step instructions?

Please let me know asap.

Also it there a tool kit i can buy on the internet so i will not become stuck when building the car.

Regards
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fist time build

Loc Tite
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Use Loctite only on screws that screw in to metal. Read all the directions before you start. I never owned a Hot Bodies so I do not know how there instructions are. I have built several HPI vehicles which Hot Bodies is a sister company to them and there instructions where really goo. If you have any mechanical ability should not be a problem. Hope you do not have any CVD problems like many with the D8 are having.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Ozmick

As for tool kit, I recently purchased a Thunder Tiger kit that was not too expensive with all the hex and regular screw drivers in it you will need, although I bought this from my lhs
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
vladconnery
My Feedback: (1)

Thats Blue loctite, not red or purple red will basically seal the screw permanently purple is to lite of a hold. I use the gel permatex from the auto store you get more and pay less. The gel is less messy. Remember you only need it in the threads. Good Luck and have fun take your time.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Losi Racer

any screws that go into plastic just tighten the screw till it goes snug, DONT OVER TIGHTEN,

screws that go into metal just use blue loctite or the gel and tighten that snug as well

make sure your in a clean, open work area when you start
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
WalawalaStore

Yes, blue Loctite or Permatex only.

Make sure all moving parts are smooth, if they are not, pliers, hobby knife and reamers will do the job. If you do not know how to, you can ask me at [email protected]. I have the D8 instructions, you can ask by part or by page.

Joaquim
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

grab a couple redbulls , shut your phones off , get a comfortable spot with nice space to set things out and go .. kits as good as it gits .. I sometimes build it then tear it down real quick then put it back together again real quick again , jus kidn ... plan on 10-12 hours .. its actually a lot of fun
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM
zbegz

My first build is the D8 too its a really easy kit to put together everything goes together great. Dont over tighten screws they strip pretty easily at least on mine. Everything is in order parts wise. If you havent got a chance to look in the box yet, all the bags are put in order A-I and each bag has individual bags for each step. Just go in order, take your time, and it will turn out great. Hot Bodies did an awesome job making the kit easy for first time builders like us.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
catbutt

Don't forget to put down a mat or towel to build on so you don't lose any small parts. Also, this might seem stupid to add, but cut open the bags, don't rip them open. I almost lost a grub screw like that. That is why they invented scissors- use em.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Adam_Reavey

Thanks al so much for your help. Just 1 question could any one give me a link to a website and tell me what tools to buy. As i have not got a clue.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
46u

I use purple loctite on mine with out a problem. All so makes taking the screws out easier. If you read the tube or go to there web site it is recommenced for small screws. I have been using loctite in my work for 38 plus years. You want to make sure the screw and the threads you are putting it in are clean and free of grease!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 AM
catbutt

Why buy on the web? Just go down to your local hardware store and pick up what you need there. Since HB is a sister company of HPI, I'd imagine you would need metric tools, but I don't know for sure. If it was me I'd just get a nice set of allens, both metric and SAE (you can buy both as a set) and a decent general toolkit also with both metric and SAE. One that has a nutdriver with various bits (phillips head, allen head, hex head, ect.) is a bonus. A set of watch repair size screwdrivers is also a plus. You might want to get a can of break cleaner to degrease items before applying thread-lock. That's about everything I used when I built my 8ight pro kit. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

grab a couple redbulls , shut your phones off , get a comfortable spot with nice space to set things out and go .. kits as good as it gits .. I sometimes build it then tear it down real quick then put it back together again real quick again , jus kidn ... plan on 10-12 hours .. its actually a lot of fun
Forget the redbulls, a 6 pack and a kit are my ideal Saturday!

Let us know how you like the buggy, I am in the markeft for a new one for the upcoming season and I am torn right now between hyper 8.5, and this one
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
46u

What you will need is metric. Get a GOOD set of hex wrenches as the cheap ones will cause problems with rounding off and messing up the screw head. If the D8 is anything like my 4 HPI vehicles most are Phillips so get a GOOD set of screw drivers.

I drive the Hyper 8 and 8.5 but will be getting a new buggy over the winter. They have been fantastic buggies. The two I am considering are the D8 and the Hyper 9. I will not make a discussion till the 9 comes out and I get some end user reviews. Want input from every day drives like me.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
46u

Just looked at the D8 on Hot Bodies web site and glade to see most of the screws are hex head. This is a great little kit that I use and like a lot. Very good quality.
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2704
I all so can use them with my little screw gun but you have to make sure you do not strip the threads.
http://www.skilshop.com/cordless_too...s/2336-02.html
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
trackman

adam you should be fine. one of the easiest kits i have built. just take your time and read through
the book to familiarize yourself with everything.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

thats the best advice so far just take your time and read the intructions just remember mor time than money and it will go good
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Adam_Reavey

Thank you every one for all your help. As soon as i build it i will let know know how bad it went :P Joking after all this advise it should hopfully be fine. Hopfully soon i will be asking for advise about engines and hoping some one can explain to be what the difference is in 21. and 28. etc lol and what ones best for the buggy.

Once again thank you so much.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
mabuecker

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

Forget the redbulls, a 6 pack and a kit are my ideal Saturday!

Let us know how you like the buggy, I am in the markeft for a new one for the upcoming season and I am torn right now between hyper 8.5, and this one
lol hahahaha I didnt want to influence him being young , no offense adam .. your choice just get 6 of'em and stop if it all gets blury .. a 21 is legal in every sense of the word and a 28 is more so a truggy engine which are not ran very often in truggys as well as being overpowered depending on how much control you have .. I am altogether ridding my 28s and running only 21s in everything ..
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 PM
catbutt

The easy answer between the difference of a .21 vs a .28 is engine displacement size. A .28 size engine has a larger piston and theoretically will produce more power. The question you need to ask yourself is will I be racing or bashing with my car? If the answer is I plan on racing now or someday in the future a .21 is what you want. As stated above, a .21 engine is legal in all race venues, while a .28 is not. Some tracks will let you run a .28, but this is not the case universally. A .21 is all you will need to power a buggy. Most RTR buggies, however, will have a .28- though they put out about the same power as a decent .21. They are just easy, beginner engines designed for long life and ease of maintenance. Myself, even if I was never planning on racing (not sure why I'd buy a buggy in this case) I would still get a .21, just not a high end race engine. You can spend as much, or more on a high end race mill as the car kit itself. Not sure if this is really needed, as most races are won with driver skill, not horsepower. Skill levels being equal, the high end motor would give you some advantage, but in the end, as has been said many times, "slow is faster." Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 AM
46u

Normally a .21 is faster and a .28 has more torque. The only one race sanction legal is the .21. The .28 drinks more fuel. Like others have said .21 is all you need.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Adam_Reavey

which type of engine do you recomend then?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Adam_Reavey

which type of engine do you recomend then?
Not sure I understand what you mean. I recommend a .21 or are you talking about what brand and model? There are a lot of very good ones out there.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
mabuecker

a dynamite .21 (with any dynamite or jp pipe) no doubt .. good engine for the money .. will last long , good mileage , easy ta tune and good amount of power ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.