Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

How's the Traxxas Jato 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:38 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How's the Traxxas Jato 3.3

I saw them on sale at my local hobby store and the price is very attracting... What do you guys think about this stadium truck. I only thing that I don't like is that it is 2WD, maybe they designed it like this........ I'm still new to Nitros, I have 2 Losi trucks, 1 Tamiya Touring cars and want to get into Nitro... Any suggestions?? All I like is off-road cars...
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM
125cchyperman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How's the Traxxas Jato 3.3

if you want to go fast in straight line speeds then yeah it's fine..... But if you wanna race on a dirt track like in the stadium truck class at your local race track then noooo.... I would buy a Team Losi or a Team Associated before a Jato..... but as said if you wanna go fast in a straight line then yeah it's fine, but if you wanna add in turns on a dirt track then go with Team Losi or Team AE
Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 PM
IloveMYxt2

Like stated above. Its fun if you wanna go in a straight line and not turn. Once the thing gets up to speed, you cant turn it and its very unstable. Also definitely not a basher. My personal advice is to stay away from it. 2 wheel drive, 1/10 scale, too fast, and no control.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Chris_RC

Better off getting a nitro 4-tec. Both are Traxxas so you know they cant turn but the 4tec will be more stable.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
JatoGuy

Only advice from above that is legit is that if you want to race it, its not for you, and that its fast in straight lines. The truck is very stable at all speeds and soaks up rough terrain with impressive shock travel. Its very tough despite what those who dont have them like to say. As a basher there isnt another truck that IMO has the performance and fun range the Jato has.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

I agree with Jatoguy with a little tuning the Jato can perform well.I bash the crap out of mine with no issues it's tougher than given credit for sure.I have broke a couple front arms in over a year of bashing so I say it's pretty tough.I say get it you won't be disapointed and parts are everywhere so thats another plus.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 AM
IloveMYxt2

I am not trying to bash it or anything. I am stating what I see. My friend has one and we ride atleast once a week and almost everytime something goes wrong with it. He had two but sold one. IMO not the best basher and the thing is so fast it doesnt get traction, just on grass.

Again I am not hating on the Jato, just personal advice.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
bigwill5686

the jato is a great truck with a little bit of tuning, i run mine for onroad racing, the biggest help the jato needs is to trash those cheap stock tires and get yourself a good set of 2.2. it is very stable at right speed, and ain't so bad at turning once you get it set up correctly, people often bash the jato for one main reason, it made by traxxas
Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

I agree,it works good offroad with some tuning and some good tires aswell.It bashes just as good as my firestorm and rc10gt so i don't see issues with it as a basher.The Jato is a solid truck and can bash with the best of them.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
125cchyperman

I never said that it wasnt a good basher, there made for straight line speed but there not bad bashers, if you want to race them thats fine, but I wouldnt race the off road though. Your gonna get killed, compared to the Team Losi's and the Team Associated truck's. Now for on-road racing then yeah they do fine, but of you wanna through in turns off road then there not the greatest. Now with adjustment you can get them better but there still not as good as a Team Losi or Team Ae though.....

But by no means was I bashing them, everybody has there opinion's, and there entitled to there opinions..... I just hate going fast in a straight line that's it.... I mean my grandma can go fast in a straight line, I like to through curves, bumps and jumps into the mix.... but thats me though.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 AM
TMaxxDriver

I think its a great truck to have in any collection. When I got it, I did away with the Anaconda rear tires, and got some TRX Alias off road tires for the rear. It grabs on any surface, grass, asphalt, loose gravel, dirt... It will wheelie all day long!!!! (the stock wheelie bar is mandatory) I love the neighborhood kids' reactions when they see it hauling down the road, riding a wheelie!! ... I personally think thats its a great toy to have fun with. I have more fun with it than my Tmaxx, and it doesn't break as much as my Maxx!!

If you want a new nitro RC to have fun with, then GO FOR IT... I am not a serious racer or anything, I just enjoy the hobby, and enjoy having fun. This is a great truck to have in MY collection.

If you are a hardcore racer, it might not be for you... Some of the others have already pointed out the negative things about it. I think that it doesnt get the credit that it really deserves. If it wasn't at least a 'halfway decent' truck, it wouldn't have been marketed....

Especially if you found it for a good price, then I would snag one up. You will not be disappointed. It will just add to your collection, apparently you have other RC's. The Jato will definitely stand out from the rest that you own. If anything, you can show off to people by riding wheelies with it!! Its a very fast machine!!! Just make sure you have ample space to run it, and see the full potential. Large open parking lot, large baseball field, large open field, etc. You get the idea. Most importantly, HAVE FUN, IT'S JUST A HOBBY! [8D]

'Go Jato or Get Left Behind!!'
Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM
wminmi
My Feedback: (26)

I bought my 3.3 Jato used, with a new 3.3 in it and it flat hauls.....

The above advice is good though, especially the space comment. I know I've run mine in a small parking lot and the Jato is just too darn fast for "small" spaces.

Haven't really bashed mine too much as of yet, but my 1st impressions are that this sucker is WAY fast, and could use some "fine tuning" suspension wise to be one heck of an awesome truck!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
jigawatt

I'd get a GT2, plain and simple.

Why someone suggested a 4-tec is beyond me, the initial post states
All I like is off-road cars...
GT2 is a better design, its tried and true. use it as a basher, use it as a racer.

OR... go 4wd and get an HPI RS4 MT2.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 PM
KRO

OR... go 4wd and get an HPI RS4 MT2.
This is the best advice given so far IMO .

I had a JATO 3.3 for 2 years and it was a fun car on or off road (you just need decent tires) . The only problem it has (and I cant belive I am saying this !) is it really has too much power for any serious racing . But just too go out and bash around ? Well that is what the JATO 3.3 was meant for IMO .
Mine was pretty tough after I did a few mods , but 2wd really isnt for me so I traded for an Ofna buggy and am happier now . Gonna turn it into a CORR truck next year .

I have seen a MT2 G3.0 run and it was pretty fast and handled quite well on the track , seemed pretty tough . i think people underestimate this truck .

I had an RS4 EVO3 and it was pretty quick and darn near bullitproof .
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 AM
ASYSTEMERROR

KRO was givin it to you straght ! i also like the jato and had a few but i think when you bash you learn about cars. I've seen some really nice Traxxas cars and trucks but their starter cars !! no matter how much upgrading you do your gonna move on, revo and slayer may be keepers if your a "Traxxas Man" but traxxas hasn't made a 1/8 scale i would like to see them get serious with an onroad and a monster truck with bigblock motors
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
MurphJato

I have a Jato3.3 and love it. Make sure you have the room to run it, like everyone stated it'll run a straight line at over 60mph. You hit something it'll break. I like drag racing with my buddies and blowing by them. I also have a t-maxx to have fun with as well, i like the Jato much better. Here are a couple pictures of my crash with the Jato. I didn't have enough room to run it fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41935.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1059689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63754.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1059690  
Old 10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
cmerritt

ouch! i don't think traxxas covers that
Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM
MurphJato

Traxxas does cover it. I called them and they said send all the pieces here no matter what the condition is.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
cmerritt

wow, well just another reason why traxxas support is #1
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM
j8to33

It is a great truck. I don't like traxxas engines, if I were you I would just go get a os engine. But others will disagree and say that traxxas engines are the best and other stuff like that. It is just your opinion.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 AM
crazyjr

I raced a jato 2.5 for a season, it was nice. It takes some work to get it right, but when it is, its solid. I had a single speed w/OS.12tr in mine, I think the TG would've been better. Just because its setup for the speed freaks, don't mean it can't step out on the track and race. The GT2 is a good choice if you mostly race, I raced one of those as well. But for a basher with an occasional race, you can't beat the jato. I race electrics now, thats why i don't run my jato anymore
Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
f0rb3s

i like the jato well enuff to own 3....
u can set them up for anything
i have one runnin 71 mph
one built like slayden off road build.. on the website,
and an on road...
probally one of the most universal cars made....
Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
FastestJato

JATO All the way ... it was my first car and still have it... it is stable and damn fast...