Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Finally flew my BoT

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally flew my BoT

Finished it years ago, but never flew due to club field being too small for my bungee. Finally got around to shortening the line, and taking it out for a fly. Man, I forgot how much fun it is flying a nice R/E/S built up polyhedral sailplane off a bungee, especially a Bird of Time. Flew as good as my original one did 25 or so years ago.

Dynaflite kit was terrible die-crushed abomination, but the build was ok otherwise. Narrowed the fuz to the max, added spoilers with separate servos, closed loop on the rudder, otherwise pretty stock. Covering is Solarfilm on the wings and tailplane, polyester film on the fuz.

Might have to finish off that Sagitta 900 after all......

Cam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94261.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1060496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20349.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1060497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52921.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1060498  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Finally flew my BoT

Man, you are rich. Have a Bird AND a Sagitta!!!!

Nice looking Bird.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
camdyson

Yeah, jagged an old Sagitta kit from a guy who had it collecting dust in his loft. After the BoT, the Sagitta kit was an absolute joy to build - great design and all quality. Just need to attack it with the razor plane and sanding block, then ready for finishing.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
elmog

That's an excellent covering job and choice of colors. I think I might borrow some ideas from your BOT for my Chrysalis. Jim
Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
camdyson

Thanks Jim - copy away, that's where I got this scheme from...

BTW, I have a Chrysalis done in white leading edges and fuz, and fluoro green open surfaces - looks really nice. No photos to hand sorry. Chrysalis wings flutter like crazy, so stiffen them up a bit if you can.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 AM
glenglider

Hi Camdyson
Nice looking Bird, well done. How do you prevent the rubber bands from forcing their way into the join of the wings and seperating them? I'm assuming yours is a two piece wing like mine - if not, do you have any advice for me regarding my problem?
Glen
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 AM
camdyson

G'day Glen,

I just tape the panels tightly together with electrical tape whick seals the gap, and the bands seem to stay out. I generally run a layer of scotch magic tape around the end of my wing panels after covering. That way, when I peel the electrical tape off, it doesn't tend to lift the solarfilm. Depends on the bands a bit too - the ones I'm using at the moment are a bit "chunkier" in cross-section than normal, and seem to lay flat and grip the covering a bit better than others.

Good luck,

Cam
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
elmog

Thanks Jim - copy away, that's where I got this scheme from...

BTW, I have a Chrysalis done in white leading edges and fuz, and fluoro green open surfaces - looks really nice. No photos to hand sorry. Chrysalis wings flutter like crazy, so stiffen them up a bit if you can.

Cheers,

Cam

You're right about the wing flutter issue as the Chrysalis uses a rather thin airfoil for a wooden glider. The designer suggest that carbon fiber be used on the upper and lower spars if you plan on using a winch or heavy hi-start to launch. I think the carbon is a good idea even for the electric version (I plan to do simple aerobatics with it) as you never know what situation you will find yourself. Jim
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM
cheyenne90
My Feedback: (8)

Kind of looks like one I did a while ago. Love the yellow

Greg
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

camdyson,
Nice looking bird and great covering scheme!! What is your AUW? could you show a close up pic of where the fuse and stab join? I'm building one now and I have not got to that point yet.

Look's great!!

Marc 540[8D]
Old 11-04-2008, 05:34 AM
camdyson

Greg,

Nice - the yellow does make a nice base doesn't it.

Marc,

Just weighed it for you - about 50 oz ready to fly, on my crappy scales. That makes wing loading around 6.85 oz/sq ft.

I took a couple of pics of the tailplane root area - all pretty much per plans, hope it helps.

Cheers,

Cam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27246.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1065239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53355.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1065240  
Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

Thank's Cam, for going out of your way to take pic's and weigh your BOT. Nice clean work. I also slimmed the fuse way down about like you did. I also lengthened the nose two inches, trying not to have to add any lead to the nose. Did you add any lead? Did you use all the wood that came with the kit? I replaced alot of it because it was very heavy!!

Thank's again,

Marc 540
Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 AM
camdyson

Hi Marc,

No problem. Yeah, I added some lead shot to the nose. Can't remember how much - it's epoxied in down there, but I guess a couple of ounces tops. Regarding the wood, I pretty muched used it all, good and bad. If I'd thrown away all the crap wood, I'd have been left with a plan and some instructions.....

I'm sure I could have have built it lighter, but why? I think it's on the too-light side as it is to be honest. If I built another, I'd probably add some carbon spar caps and kevlar binding, but I only ever planned to bungee-launch this one, as a chill-out plane. That it does perfectly! The swept-back rudder hinge line is a bit sus' on BoT's, but to change it really alters the look too much, I just love to look at it as Dave designed it.

Cam

p.s. May have to build a Thermic one day, they're equally sexy......