Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
raider89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

My brakes are not working as good anymore, what do I do?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
raider89

Nevermind, it was the batteries lol.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM
raider89

Here is my ride.

Nothing major, just new springs and fuel line.

Putting 40 or higher weight in the rear shocks really made them alot stiffer : )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59483.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1067027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64011.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1067028  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 AM
NitroNate

I remember when mine looked like that.Sometimes I miss it... []That truck is very reliable and durable when its stock.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
raider89

Yea, i've replaced the front control arms and shocks, but its very durable since thats the only parts that broke when i smacked a brick wall full speed lol.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
mercerbeef

i saw someone was looking for a clutch. heres a response i got from the hpi site when i asked about the werks clutch, i haven't had time to try it, so if anyone trys it let us know.

From what I can see from pictures of the engine, it seems the clutch
assembly, like most stadium trucks is small. Our clutch is based on the
traditional design that dates back 30 years. The key in determining if it
will be close to fitting is to measure the inner diameter. It should be about
27mm + .5mm. The next issue is the spacing of the gear. From what I can
see the bell may be spaced too far forward, when completed. I would first
have the guy measure the bell, if it's within the 27mm measurement. If that's
the case, have the guy ask for a 6521 clutch from his local hobby shop, then
bring the engine down and test fit it.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM
InfiniteMotors

What pipes are you guys using? Any of them making a big difference?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:29 AM
capili_don

hi guys, just my break in this morning. What are your average run-time on a fultank? any suggestions on how to make it longer?

and what do you guys suggest on my first hopup
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
InfiniteMotors

ORIGINAL: capili_don

hi guys, just my break in this morning. What are your average run-time on a fultank? any suggestions on how to make it longer?

Average run time is between 8 and 12 minutes I'd say, depending on how much WOT You could install a larger fuel tank, but honestly it only takes a second to refuel and you're back out there.

First hopup will be replacing that broken front bulkhead! haha These trucks are very durable but there are a few things that break regularly. I HIGHLY suggest a front bulkhead protector like this one from New Era Models: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=8908

Since HPI recently upgraded the soft plastic A-arms to composite, you might be ok for a while on those if you have a new Firestorm. Otherwise, you'll want to upgrade those as well.

As for power, a properly tuned carb is the best upgrade of all. These trucks will rip wheelies all day long if tuned properly, so make sure your glow plug and fuel are fresh and get tuning!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
raider89

Might want to add some 40 or 50 weight shock oil to the rear too.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
nitro-rob

I am definitely installing the savage three shoe clutch this winter. Has anybody installed aluminum shoes? I am thinking of upgrading all my trucks with them.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM
NitroNate

NewEra just came out with this!: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9601
Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM
capili_don

ORIGINAL: raider89

Might want to add some 40 or 50 weight shock oil to the rear too.
thanks for the advices! this is for what?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
capili_don

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMotors

ORIGINAL: capili_don

Average run time is between 8 and 12 minutes I'd say, depending on how much WOT You could install a larger fuel tank, but honestly it only takes a second to refuel and you're back out there.

First hopup will be replacing that broken front bulkhead! haha These trucks are very durable but there are a few things that break regularly. I HIGHLY suggest a front bulkhead protector like this one from New Era Models: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=8908

Since HPI recently upgraded the soft plastic A-arms to composite, you might be ok for a while on those if you have a new Firestorm. Otherwise, you'll want to upgrade those as well.

As for power, a properly tuned carb is the best upgrade of all. These trucks will rip wheelies all day long if tuned properly, so make sure your glow plug and fuel are fresh and get tuning!

i see thanks! I was really thinking of changing those shocks, feels quite weak to me. Might give up on me when I get to real bashing. As of now im into tuning it. Though its a learning process im rally not sure if im in the sweet spot yet. though I really feel its not that tuned that good yet. Its not doing wheelies. But for starters I think this would do unitl I get the hang of it. Thanks again guys
Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 PM
ambassador27

Don,
The NEW stock Firestorm should only require you to tune it to the fuel your using, at the most just a slight tune of the HSN..
Wheelies can be achieved easily.. Once your engine is in tune w/ the fuel your using it should lift easily unless..
1. Running on a blacktop surface ie. a parking lot that has been tarred over, stock tires do not like this and will let you know...
2.Slipping clutch due to too tight diff (Rare) or too loose diff (common)...

This is an awsome truck and you found the best forum around for it, I don't post much and I haven't had too, every question I've had
came out of the pages I've read in this forum...

The only upgrades I've done so far are a set of Yokohama Geolander tires all around and a New Era bottom alum front bulkhead/chassis
support also locked down the front servo with locktite..
Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM
raider89

On the shocks, twist off the top cap and there is oil inside of it, go and ask for 40 or 50 weight shock oil, and fill the shock up all the way with that.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
nitro rc

my brother took out his firestorm and ripped around our backyard track with my tmaxx 2.5. Another fun day with the nitros. Unfortunately, this is probably our last run before winter, snow, and too cold out. That truck is just so much fun, we had a few good flips and cartwheels but nothing broke. Well, the exhaust gasket may have blown for the second time but i won't fix it until winter or before the next nitro season. It was a successful first season with my brother's firestorm and he loves it. I'm glad we chose this truck. I think we may have put about 3/4 of a gallon so far and it runs strong. Does anybody run their firestorm in the winter? I think it sits too low to run in the snow.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
nitro-rob

I have been thinking of stopping driving for the season - its raining too often and cool enough that things don't dry very well. The number of good chances to drive is dropping a lot and its getting frustrating driving. I have a bunch of upgrades planned over the winter I will work on soon. I will keep loyal to the thread...

I am just wondering who drives year round?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 PM
NitroNate

I'm planning on driving year round-If the snow isn't deep enough,I'll be out there with it.Running it in freezing weather might be an option,but as long as its above freezing I will run it.
Pre-heating the engine is almost a necesity as well as blocking the air-flow hole in the body and wrapping the cooling head with a wool sock.

My younger brother just got a Traxxas Slash.Its far from Traxxas' speed claim-I can run faster than it.He's running a 6 cell 3000mah with 7.2 volts.It should be going a lot faster than 15mph...I tried to talk him out of getting the Slash to get the E-Firestorm,but he wasn't convinced....until he got the Slash-He's having second thoughts.Putting a brushless system in it is almost a necesity to get the fun out of it.The fact that the truck itself is designed pretty well is about all I can say about it.

Me and my brother were working on our track and I added a decent sized burm and a tall jump.We also made the speed run a bit wider so we can get higher speed and zip into the burm and then clear the double.Its a lot of fun!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
motorhead91

i ran my truck last winter in the snow, in freezing weather, during a snow storm.
all i did was insulate the head, run a hot plug and 30% nitro. never had a problem.
i did put moabs on the rear, and they did ok, but not as good as i hoped. this year however i bought a set of paddle tires for the rear.
the problem is not so much the truck sitting too low, but the tires just not hooking up
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
cgad18

has anyone else had trouble with the screw the holds the servo arm coming loose after installing a 645mg?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 PM
raider89

I think i messed up my transmission lol, it runs, but the wheels dont spin when i rev up the engine lol.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
NitroNate

I doubt it.The transmission is probably the last thing to go on a Firestorm.Check for missing or broken dogbones.Also check your spur gear and your clutch.If one of those aren't the problem check your diff.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

I finally got to test the storm with my bb and didn't go so good.The first tank went good but on the second tank I was doing holeshots and broke a drive cup clean off.It's getting cold so I think the storm will be done till next spring.I'm gonna take it apart give the parts to my buddy and see what he comes up with.I drive my Savage and revo during the winter and is alot of fun.I put a sock over the head and start it in my basement let it warm up a bit take it outside and tear up the snow.I run my mt all year long,I tried my jato last year but it would just throw snow it wouldn't hook up and was a waste of time but the mt's are fun.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
fasty

why put a sock on the head? whont it melt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.