Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Electrifly 3200mah 11.1v Pack Charging Q

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Electrifly 3200mah 11.1v Pack Charging Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 AM
hanoiboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrifly 3200mah 11.1v Pack Charging Q

Just bought my first electric plane, motor, LiPo battery etc from Great Planes (Electrifly). I figured I'd charge the battery like all my friends do using my AccuCycle Elite along with an Astro blinky balancer. Then I read on the package to NEVER charge through the deans plug but always through the teenie-weenie balance plug. That can't be right. [&o]

Has anybody charged these packs through the heavy wired Deans plug like I figured was normal? Can't tell from previous posts.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 AM
alpinestar

Default RE: Electrifly 3200mah 11.1v Pack Charging Q

you can charge through the power leads without any problems, but it is better to charge through the balance connector. I have more packs than balancers, so I end up occasionally charging through the power leads instead of waiting around (I guess I could just buy more balancers).
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM
jcg1112
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hanoiboi

Just bought my first electric plane, motor, LiPo battery etc from Great Planes (Electrifly). I figured I'd charge the battery like all my friends do using my AccuCycle Elite along with an Astro blinky balancer. Then I read on the package to NEVER charge through the deans plug but always through the teenie-weenie balance plug. That can't be right. [&o]

Has anybody charged these packs through the heavy wired Deans plug like I figured was normal? Can't tell from previous posts.

Thanks for the help.
You shouldn't have any issues charging through the discharge wires and using the blinky. The balancing node wires are good for up to about 4 amps max. On my Cellpro 10S any charge rate >4 amps and I have to connect the discharge wires to the charger and the balance connector to the balance port. The AccuCycle is very good charger, but it is not optimized for Lipos. If you are going to stay with electrics, then I'd recommend purchasing a quality balancing charger. It will charger your packs quicker and keep them balanced. The blinky does an ok job, but it just bleeds off the voltage of the higher cell(s) till all are equal.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
hanoiboi

Hoe-Que, for those who are interested, I went ahead and charged my Electrifly 3S, 11.1v, 3200mah pack ($120 worth) through the "To ESC Only" lead (Deans Plug) from my Accu-Cycle Elite and put the Astro Blinky into the "To Charger" lead. Everything worked out perfectly. The pack is fully charged and balanced, did not blow up or catch fire, and all is well. All the warnings about the severe damage that will occur if you do this is a bunch of BS. Go ahead and charge your Electrifly like a regular LiPo, and have fun!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM
jcg1112
My Feedback: (3)

Great!! Didn't think you'd have any problems. BTW, if you're looking for more 3200 packs, check out FMA Direct. Same 20C pack is $90. Great packs and come with a 60 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Jackpower is also one to look at for about the same price as the FMA and has a pretty good crash replacement policy. I use them both and will now be be running them in series as a 6S pack for my great planes reactor.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hano:

You may get away with doing something not recommended by the manufacturer for a while, but it normally catches up to you in the long run. You want your packs to last as long as possible, at $129.00 eachie, it should pay in the long run. Why play with charger add ons designed to make a inadequate existing charger work. I did this stuff until one went poof in my garage right in front of me for no known reason. About $5,000 worth to fix and replace. Have since learned to read a lot at "The Battery Clinic" by Red Schoefield in a RCU forum and to buy and use chargers recommended by Red. Have used Cellpro chargers for several years with great results per Red's advice at the time. You also need to buy a "watt meeter" as part of your standard gear, will also save you bucks in the long run knowing and not guessing what is going on in your systems. Will tell you when you are exceeding manufacturers limits, or are close and lots if good information. ENJOY
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
hanoiboi

rmenke, you may be right about that, but until the manufacturer comes up with a rational, logical explanation for why his bizarre charging instructions, different from everybody elses, are absolutely necessary, I will follow my own instincts. Electrifly doesn't offer any explanation as to why their charging method is the only way.....it's just buy our charger stuff and everything will all be OK. Phooey!

Hey jcg, thanks for the FMA LiPo tip - should have bought from them originally. Live and learn, etc.[:@]