Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

soldering station

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
R/C fan-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering station

Hey guys, so I'm in the market for a soldering station. I've used soldering irons until mine recently broke and I think I'm done with them. Not being able to control the temperature, taking a long time to heat up, and having it weigh a lot are the real turnoffs. Plus, this is the second one I've owned in 2 years. They break way too much! So what can you guys suggest in the ~$100 range? I liked the Weller WESD51, it'd be nice to have the temp readout so that you know what temperatures work for which jobs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-R/C fan
Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: soldering station

That's a totally decent station, I don't think you can do better for the price. If you can squeeze the wallet a bit more, check out some of the entry level Hakko units. They look very old fashioned and basic but the quality is very high, they won't break on you.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
NitroVette

I have a Weller WSL and like it a lot. It gets hot very quickly and maintains temp via a temp sensor in the probe. I've used Hakko stations at work and they are good quality also. My unit is like the WES51 except it has pushbuttons instead of a dial. Compared to what most of us have spent on the hobby it's one of the best investments you can make, especially if you run electrics. I have a butane power soldering iron that I keep in my field bag but I use the Weller station most of the time. The great thing about Weller is that you can always get new tips or replacement parts easily.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
R/C fan-addict

so I went on the hakko site and I saw some stations for under $100 and then some for around $200. I'm already squeezing the budget a lot with the Weller at $130, so I can't do the $200 Hakko, but is the Hakko 936 ESD any good? How does it compare to the Weller WESD51? Although I probably can't pay this much for the Hakko 937, would it really be worth the money over the WESD51 or the 936 ESD? Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 937s and can't live without them. Between the other 2 I'd get the 936 over the WESD51 - they're both great but I'm a Hakko freak.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
R/C fan-addict

why specifically the 936 over the WESD51? I'm a little turned off by Hakko's 90 day warranty as to Weller's year warranty. Still, I have to say I think both should have longer warranties. Sorry about like grilling you, just trying to find out a little info on which station to buy. I appreciate the help man!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I own the Hakko 936 and comming from a cheapo $20 60 watt iron its amazing the difference. It is everything I am ever going to need. I cant compare it to the Weller model but I am sure they are both similar.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:56 PM
R/C fan-addict

have you guys ever used/heard of Aoyue soldering stations? I saw one, the 2900, that looks comparable to the WESD51, and has a solder spool, at less than half the price of it, $60. Seems a little too good to be true to me, but I dunno...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Mr. Mugen

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldering-Iron-S...1%7C240%3A1318

I bought this one 2 years back and have soldered daily since. No issues withit. It heats up in under a minute and the tip stays hot on bigger jobs. Mine came with extra tips and an extra wand complete with tip installed.

Kevin