Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Full scale flyers....roll call.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Full scale flyers....roll call.

I'm an ex-TWA AA pilot. Don't tell anyone...ssshhhh.

Here is the Pitts Special I had to sell when AA started paying me all of that BIG MONEY.

I just started flying R/C, have an RCM Trainer and a couple of old Pattern ships.

Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21544.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1014662  
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Taildragger726

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, some neat things going on with that Pitts,,,
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
slick95

Here is the Pitts Special I had to sell when AA started paying me all of that BIG MONEY.

I just started flying R/C, have an RCM Trainer and a couple of old Pattern ships.

Chris...
OOH! I've seen that Pitts! It was raced at Reno correct? Chris, do you know Dennis K. Brown? I own his old Pitts S-1C.

SLICK

Name:	Jh15024.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1015063  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Ralph78

I guess I'll put my 2 Cents in,

I started flying in 1964, hold a SEL with Com. and Inst. ratings.

I sold my Turbo Saratoga SP several years ago. My yearly cost of flying 200-300 Hours per year had gotten up to $25,000-30,000 per year and I could no longer justify the expense in my business. I'm glad I don't own it today with the current price of 100LL. However, I really miss not having my "Magic Carpet" to move 2-4 people and luggage where and when I wanted. I almost never filled all six seats as I really like to fly with full fuel tanks, and the on-board O2 does not last long for six people. One draw back to using O2 on a Piper is the LOOONNNGGG time it took to get the O2 recharged. I love flying, and really miss it. I consider myself very lucky to have able to fly for 40 years.

I have been active in all forms of Model aviation. I started in FF and Control Line, then in the late 1960's got into RC, in the early 1980's, discovered SAM RC Assist(My favorite, I really love the look of the Old Timers in the air). I have given up on FF, and have sold off most of my FF equipment, just have one plane and a few timers left to get rid of. I now concentrate on SAM RC Assist with some "Back & Fourth" RC, and on RARE occ. I will fly a bit of Control Line.

I'm still driving Dirt Track Stock Cars on 1/3, 3/8 and 1/2 Mile Dirt Tracks. (Currently 3 points out of 1st. place in the championship standings)

Ralph
Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Air4ceFlyBoy

Wow...I guess I haven't been reading on here for a while. To answer your question, no, the H9 P-51 was not my first flight. I purchased a Park Zone P-51 and had about five flights on it (all solos) before I flew the H9 P-51. Since I had no experience with glow, I asked someone else to help me start it and tune the engine. I let them do the take off, and I took it on downwind (no buddy box). I flew around a bit, did a loop, and then flew it in for a lucky picture perfect landing. I say lucky, because I've had some bounce and goes, and nose-ins since. That's the story though. I'm trying to get into jets now (speed is everything), but I still love that big mustang.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: slick95

Chris...
OOH! I've seen that Pitts! It was raced at Reno correct? Chris, do you know Dennis K. Brown? I own his old Pitts S-1C.

SLICK

Hi Slick,
I'm the guy that told you about Josh Klenske over on the Biplane Forum, so yeah I know Denny!

He sold it to Josh. Josh hit the ground flat and hard with it and when repairing it installed gear and cowling like my ship in the picture I sold to Dave Roelofs. He was then instructed that was bad stuff by Denny and Mike Stubbs so he removed it and went with the spring steel gear and stock cowling. He sold it to a man named Cheeseman and a partner that crashed it before you rebuilt it. I guess Mr. Aaron bought it from them.

Good to see it in the air again. I raced against it in 1998 in my first Pitts, an S-1C with an 160 hp O-320. It has the potential to go a lot faster than it ever did at Reno as I was only about 7 mph slower with a huge CI deficit. I'll dig out some pictures of me and Josh racing wingtip to wingtip and post them.

Hope you've been flying that Pitts a lot and are having fun with 'er.

Chris...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
penceaviation

I got my PPL in the year 2000. Been kind hit or miss on the amount of time and money I have been able to devote to flying full scale ever since. But one of the recent highlights was when I got to fly one of my all time favorites, the Stearman. A few years back I flew a full scale 1943 model and it was one of the high points of my life! Of course, this same exact plane is the first plane I ever remember seeing as a child, about 28 years ago, I grew up, moved away and all that stuff, then one day I got a wild hair and decided to see if that little family owned airport with the grass strip still existed... it did! So I called... Now, do they still have the old stearman? YES!

Can I fly it? YES!

Where do I sign?!!

I wasn't checked out for solo flight but had a ton of fun in the hour I was up. That's me up front. As you would expect, it takes a bunch more rudder than a cessna 172 and it's a bit more windy in the cockpit, but other than that it's a pretty straight forward airplane to fly. LOVED IT!

In response to some earlier posts about full scale pilots learing to fly RC- I learned RC long before full scale, BUT my RC skills improved quite a bit after learning how to fly real planes, especially my landings.

Name:	Bz77736.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1072019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84496.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1072020  
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
WRX Dave

I'm a full-time flight instructor here. I instruct in pretty much any general aviation airplane from old Cessna 150s to newer high-performance twins. Working on an application for an Aviation Contract in the Marines.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
slick95

Hi Slick,
I'm the guy that told you about Josh Klenske over on the Biplane Forum, so yeah I know Denny!

He sold it to Josh. Josh hit the ground flat and hard with it and when repairing it installed gear and cowling like my ship in the picture I sold to Dave Roelofs. He was then instructed that was bad stuff by Denny and Mike Stubbs so he removed it and went with the spring steel gear and stock cowling. He sold it to a man named Cheeseman and a partner that crashed it before you rebuilt it. I guess Mr. Aaron bought it from them.

Good to see it in the air again. I raced against it in 1998 in my first Pitts, an S-1C with an 160 hp O-320. It has the potential to go a lot faster than it ever did at Reno as I was only about 7 mph slower with a huge CI deficit. I'll dig out some pictures of me and Josh racing wingtip to wingtip and post them.

Hope you've been flying that Pitts a lot and are having fun with 'er.

Chris...
AWESOME! Sorry I haven't checked back in a while. I'd love to see some pictures. I've got some video in these links if anyone would like to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1p0SFGIF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPoPgZDb6J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ruyEeNlbc

SLICK
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Slick nice videos, especially the first one. Very Nice.

Here's one I did a while back. Just now getting it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKPqujs-1JE
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 AM
slick95

That was really cool! I really like the tail cam. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount my camera on the tail of the Pitts.

SLICK
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
jkpape

I've been flying the real thing since 1988, and own a Cessna 172, Piper Turbo Arrow, and a DeHavland DH-82C Tiger Moth> I'll post some photos when I figure out how.

Name:	Bz78874.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1075605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28045.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1075606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51923.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1075607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83011.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1075608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21501.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1075609  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 PM
wickedsprint

I have just a PPL, but I try to have fun everytime I go up Here is some fun in a 172.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
tlrguy

Sorry no pics. I am current part 135 in the Beech 99 turbo prop, Cessna 402 and 207. I fly on demand charters throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico. In the last 2 years only had to overnight 4 times, lucky hey.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
davesptg1

I was on e-bay this week and saw the first real muliti channel R/C ever made. Check it out. Does anyone one know if this is really the first? If so how much would it be worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260325218301

If this fails it is item: 260325218301

Mighty Mambo by sterling
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

I jsut got my private a few month ago in the piper warrior. I also got 1900 hour as a MH-53E crewchief/door gunner and I am currently in flight training as a naval flight officer flying the T-6A Texan II.

Name:	Sq47716.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1083114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14276.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1083115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54189.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1083116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19820.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1083117  
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Rabbitcreekok

ORIGINAL: bigstew60

I jsut got my private a few month ago in the piper warrior. I also got 1900 hour as a MH-53E crewchief/door gunner and I am currently in flight training as a naval flight officer flying the T-6A Texan II.
Good job, Carl. The T-6A is quite a step up from the Warrior. Keep us posted on what is going on with your flying career.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
lgarber

This site is great!
I started building the old guillows kits back in the late 60's. Grew up in South Dakota farming and ranching and when ever I heard the pawnee's or thrush commanders coming, I grabbed what ever was close, bike, my horse, lpc's( lower personel carriers), and went to watch. As I got older,I eventually got a job mixing chemmicals and flagging for Cecil Ice .
Been flying full scale since I was 14. Lots of super cub time, 150,152 , 172, schwiezer 300c helicopter, and various other fixed and rotory stuff. Joined the Army in 1984 . Was a paratrooper, ranger , light infantry . Got lots of "back-seat time in huey's, chinooks, Marine ch-46 and 53's, as well as black hawks. I had a chute collapse on me and suffered a spinal cord injury at c2 and c3, as well as a compressed spinal cord and lower back nerve damage. Still can walk, but it's not pretty. My wife and I owned a 1958 L-21 super cub for awhile, until I developed blood clotts in both lungs!! On top of everything else! Had to sell that beloved super cub due to my medical problems. Last spring I passed a "SODA" flight with FAA in the airplane and helicopter and passed with flying colors. SODA is a "statement of demenstrated ability". They just wanted to make sure I was safe. It was a long expensive road, but hopefully it will be worth it. Being on VA and Social Security Disability, limits my fying. It's been awhile since I last flew.
Thats where the rc comes in. I fly a hobbyzone super cub, the eco7 bell jet ranger, and one of the indoor heli's. Can't remember the companies name. I am currently building a 1/5th scale super cub, and my pride and joy, a 1/5th scale P-38G, early model lightning. I'm not in a hurry as I'm a scale freak and am building this baby so scale it's sickening. I have built the correct cockpit, radiators, and I'm working on the round wind screen. Just having a ball with it. Also have the hanger nine pawnee. Have to keep my ag roots alive.
I live in Colorado now, so if any of you are close by and need a co-pilot, look me up. I don't need an excuse to fly!!
I will post pix as soon as one of the teenager's in the house, show me how! Thanx for listening and sorry this got so long .
Linn
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
sixinarow

Hi all. I went to Metro State College in Denver and started working on my aviation degree. Did 1.5 semesters, Private, Commercial/Instrument ground. Started my private rating but ran out of money and got lazy (don't do that!). I have 10 hours fixed wing in 152/172, 33 hours in an IFR sim, an hour in a Duke.

My interests were sparked recently and have started my rotory rating in Schweizer 300s. I may take the MD500E up just to say I have turbine time

A friend is going to take me up in her '76 7KCAB when it's done with the annual.

Yes, after taking a break I told myself to get off my ass and get back to flying, whatever it takes!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey guys. Been on RCU a while, haven't ventured into the full scale forum very often though.

I fly 172s out of Brookley Airport in Mobile, Alabama. I've been flying off and on for 12 years, but finished up my private this past January having taken most of my lessons in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. About 100 hours total to date. Next up, instrument rating!

ORIGINAL: bigstew60
I am currently in flight training as a naval flight officer flying the T-6A Texan II.
Very cool man! It wouldn't surprise me if we've shared the pattern at KBFM a time or two, seems there's never a day I don't see a Texan II on the flight line or in the pattern.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 AM
flyhighaway
Banned

SKYARTEC rc helicopter,rc plane.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...V3&search_type
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...na&search_type
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Flyboy Dave

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....trying to bump this thread.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Pecanpatch

After a 2 year Hiatus........ I am back to flying my T.E.A.M. Airbike

Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Flyboy Dave

.....I am working on a glitch in this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.