Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

balance issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Capt. Rich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balance issue

i have found that the wings of my ventus 4 meter are not balancing seems the starboard wing is a bit heavier. is it unusual to need 17 grams of weight almost to the tip of the port wing to balance the roll axis. after a dry fit of the motor and batteries the glider is balancing very close to the cg i was glad to see that
Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: balance issue

Not unusual.... might be a good thing to counteract torque on launch...
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: balance issue

Wood selection in ARF's is generally terrible given the speed they're built at. Whatever is at the top of the pile is what goes in. Not uncommon to find half a plane made out of 20lb iron wood and the other half made out of 8lb normal balsa. All it would take is one very hard piece of sheeting out at the wing tip to cause a 17gm differential. As a practical matter, on a 4 meter plane, you'd probably never notice it. The tiniest barely perceptible warp, like 1/64" washout on one wing would easily swamp the effects of that 17 grams.