Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Delta

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
mclina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Delta

Thanks Microsprint, but it's done. I did have the elevons working correctly. It is possible there wasn't enough throw, but I don't know. The engine, radio, and servos have already been removed and I have started on the next SPAD.

I'll start a thread when I get further into the build, but here's a preview. I have a 36" pvc fuse, and I have built a wing. The wing is made from 4mm coro, using the Defender plan, except, I have built it with a 48" wingspan. I am going to build it as a tail dragger.

Thanks for all the help on the Delta. Maybe one day I'll try to rebuild it.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
microsprint9

Or i can send you the plans for the delta i made, it is actually a crazyherb cheap delta, i will see if i can find the link to his website if you are interested.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 AM
mustangman177

Mocrospring9

Could you post the plans on your delta design ? I too would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks

Cary
Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
microsprint9

Like i said they were crazyherbs plans not mine, i just made it out of coro instead of foam, here is the link, it is the CHEAP DELTA http://www.flybyphotography.com/CrazyHerb/index.htm
Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
mclina

That's a great site. He makes it look so easy, I feel like a complete idiot.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
microsprint9

I've always found delta's to be very easy to build and fly, that is why i'm confused that your delta did not fly, i've never had one nose in from launch, only do backflips ( way too tail heavy ).
Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
microsprint9

Here's one more link to a SPAD i built a while back http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4247028/tm.htm If your going to build one i would cut 2-3" off the nose as CG was an issue and i had to add too much lead in the tail to balance it, and it was just too heavy for my .40LA, but adding a bigger engine would only hurt my CG issues. On the second one i built i extened the LE to a point ( no nose ) and this was much better and that one flew for a long time until i finally retired it.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 AM
emeraude

Hi ,are there any plans available for a .15 sized delta , iv seen crazy herbs delta , i wana make one out of 2mm coro,

Emeraude
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
avroarrow

Hi Guys
Just thought I'd drop in and leave this post saying that I race coro deltas, 24" wingspan ,equipped with an OS LA 15...4oz tank, single wheel for landing gear to aid ground take offs... Prop that works best is an 8x4 APC, 25-35% nitro, pushes the motor in the 18,000 rpm range. Drill out the exhaust exit pipe . This is a club event -pylon racing, we usually get about 30/40 races in the entire season then total the points for the last raceday championship heats. These things are indestructable, almost. I hit 3 different pylons, one guy flew through my wing and another chewed my elevon coming underneath me. ... they are inexpensive and easily built.So a 15 will fly this size. One Tip though, would be to add about 10-15 degrees of upward deflection to the elevons. We find adding expo to the control throws makes them a little easier to control yanking and banking the corners. They build out in the 2 lb range.
If you'd like I can give you a link to the clubs web site.
Next season, we are upgrading the motor to the .25 OS fx. mostly to help grass takeoffs as they are a little tricky building up enough speed , keeping them straight when the grass gets long. I find if you can build up the ground speed a little then take off , they are mostly a fairly stable aircraft and a lot of fun to wring them out. These are tarvelling about 70mph as an average speed.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea yea so you say.

But I don't see any pictures or plans.[>:]
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
zertsman

a video documentary is always nice as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
avroarrow

well, looks like I've sparked a little interest and some return replies so I'll go digging and try to post a club web link where you can view our club racing these in action. Sorry we don't have video this year but it's something for us to look for in the upcoming race season. we are upgrading the engine to LA 25's for better ground take offs, this should also increase top speed and faster corners...
Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
avroarrow

[http://www.whitbyaeromodellers.com/m...70417130612791
try this link for photos and info
Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
mclina

Those deltas look great. I'd love to see some plans. I haven't had the best of luck with deltas.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Clean

Thanks for your sharing here and email. Looking forward to plans. Looks like in your photos that you added a little limbo to the race?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
avroarrow

The pictures are after the years end championship racing, ...we try the limbo....if you can get between the two pylons, they keep lowering the tape until only one pilot is left. This has a very high attrition rate, like hitting the pylons, getting rapped in the streamer ribbon and bouncing off the ground. We did this at the end of the season because we usually build a new racer for the next season. It's actually not as easy as it looks , try getting between to poles/ pylons with any plane at you own fields, you'll see what I mean. It helps with flying skills and is a lot of fun . Some of the pictures are crashes,we take a photo of the plane, post it on the website and the boys vote on the best/worst looking.
When I get home for the weekend, I will collect what I need and try to post a simple plan for you fuys here. I will give you any tips from what we have learned racing this design for the last 3 yrs . It is a simple , in expensive,easy build, robust club "One" design racer that flys on a plain bearing 15 motor,this has worked well for our clubs and been a lot of fun on a saturday afternoon.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Clean

Ahhh you're just chumming the water, but that's ok, we'll wait. We're smart, big fish, under the boat.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Have other guys had any luck with flat 4 mil deltas?
My only experience with flat wingers suggests that they need to be built very light or never flown above 10 mph [like with PBFs]. Or else expect a "bucking bronco".
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
avroarrow

Hello Combat, by the sounds of it, you most likely have the cg too far back and / also too much throw in the elevons. If the cg is right, it doesn't take much control deflection to turn these or respond, the reason we try to mix / add expo to the surfaces in our radio's making them less sensitive closer to neutral positions. We dial in about 50 / 55 % and first flights go much better if your radio has DR.Start on lower rates and switch to high once your used to the design. If the nose is pitching or the plane is falling out in the corners , your CG is still a little off. Just a few things for you to try if your just starting to fly Delta's. The F22 Stryker flies very similar to these coro deltas ' were flying, just for something to compare them to.
A though had occurred to me , now that we have snow, sub-zero weather here, I should put one of these Deltas on skis and try one off the ice and snow....Lol
Don
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

avro, I've tried the CGs at different locations fore and aft and it seems that the heavier planes with the flat airfoils [like a PBF] need to be flown slowly with an exaggerated AoA, or they will gallop. I've got some lightly built deltas [balsa stick and cellophane covering] with flat airfoils that fly great and are pretty fast.
I think somewhere, there is a line you can't cross with wingloading to make these flat wingers work.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:15 AM
emeraude

still waiting for the plans Avroarrow [&:]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Clean

Combatpig my Bulldawg wasn't pitch sensitive and it is a flat plate. Moves pretty quick too if you consider over 100 quick.

Still waiting on those measurements Avro.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:26 PM
avroarrow

well I start holidays next week so I should be able to get a plan together for you guys. I,ve built too many I guess, just need a knife and a straight edge to get going,the rest is in my head. but we will draw something up for you with some build info...They aren't difficult and build quick.
Avro
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Clean

Yea yea, so you Say.

Have a good Holiday guy, if you get around to us all the better, but enjoy the season.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
avroarrow

have a great holiday season yourself Willam...all the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.