Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM
broggyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with Single Rotor basics

I hope you got lights on that thar drillcopter, cuz it's DARK out there!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:42 PM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Soloboss,

How about, I'm not really losing money in the stock market because my reinvested dividends are able to buy more new shares at the lower prices!

Bill
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
soloboss

Brilliant Bill! I'll save you a seat on the SpecEd bus! Now we're rolling . . .

Since I can't buy a new helicopter and I can't afford to break the old ones, look at all the money I'll save toward a new one. sort of. Later. That didn't work too well, did it. I'm new at this, but I'm catching on.

Brogyr. I was gonna get shoes like my nephew has - the ones with the blinky lights when you walk, but they don't have them in my size. How about if I get the "Glow in the Dark" blade kit for my Drillcopter? Blades the size of an umbrella ought to do something, doncha think? Anyhow, as long as the dog poop is frozen I'm in good shape.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
justinep

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN.... I just read all 153 pages! I WISH I COULD HAVE READ THIS WHEN I WAS LEARNING ON MY OLD MS COMPOSITE HORNET 8 YEARS AGO! hahaha... Very informative and also alot of respect for eachother ( a rarity on these forums ). I just started getting back into my planes and helis after 2 years of speed projects in my r/c cars.

I too am currently our of work from putting a lifetime of love and stress in a career I LOVED. Its definetly tough out there now and alot of us are feeling "it". I try to mantain positive and dust of the helis, charge em up, trim em out and get em flying.... and get them dusty and back on the shelves before the wife gets home!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 PM
broggyr

Mark:

Cheap & easy nighttime solution. Buy some chemical lightsticks, activate them, then pour the glowy stuff over your boat prop (oops, main blade) and you will have awesome night flight lights - temporarily, at least. If you rig up a UV LED to the drill, you can coat the blades in flourescent paint. I prefer bright neon yellow...

Justin:

Welcome to the sanity here. I was just about to give the windows a lick, but Mark appears to have beaten me to it in his excitement for some nightflying...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
justinep

HAHAHAHA ... we use the word sanity loosely here too, eh! haha

ahhhh, night flying (looking up with dreamy eyes).. I once spent alot of time hooking up lights on one of my planes for a night flight. I came up short of the runway by about 15 ft (runway being a corperate parking lot) and hit a parking hub (which I thought I landed past) and then the tumbles started and the plane ended. Heli's have GOT to be a beast at night.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
stump3r

Justin welcome to the short bus where window licking and petting helicopters like kittens is not only allowed it's encouraged! We are a rag tag bunch that has been known to do stupid human tricks with helicopters. If you ever have any questions we are here to help.

Brian & mark please let the new guys have a crack at licking windows!

Max buddy nice to see you! The bus sure has been quiet without the resident daredevil around!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 AM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: soloboss

Well Bill, it seems all of us who have seen employment slow downs have found good ears to talk to. I have found a way to cope with the whole thing. It's an old concept, but it works.

It's called DENIAL.

I didn't get my hours cut, I was granted more free time. I can use that time for projects, naps, fun or to look for more work. My choice. Or I can use it to learn to spell CHOICE correctly the first time.

My pay is reduced, but that takes my tax burden down. So of course I write a smaller check to Uncle Sam. And I drove a hundred miles a day round trip to work. Now, not so much.

I did find a down side to the dropping price of gasoline. I use a discount card to buy gas. I used to get 15 cents a gallon discount. Now I only get 8 cent's off. C'est-la vie. Darned price drops. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Next time I take my SpecEd bus to my handler, I can tell her I found the answers to my problems. And there's another one! Now that I can cope, I don't need my handler any more! WOW!

I'm gonna go fly my drill around the yard to celebrate.
Later, Solo
Solo, what's your pitch & throttle curves with that drill?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:41 AM
psb667

Well it took a few days but i managed to bust the entire rotorhead off the honey bee now i gotta see if i can find a lhs that carrys esky thanks for the tip though the honey bee is a lot easier to fly than the blade
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
soloboss

psb667
the parts you need don't have to be honey bee - the Falcon 40, EF Sabre, Walkera #4 all use the same parts. It really is too bad that Eflight doesn't make a version of the fixed pitch - that would make parts soooo easy to find. And I think that the transition from the coaxial helicopters to the larger collective pitch would also be more user friendly. Those little cp machines that Eflight sells are just wicked! They aren't crappy, but they just are not the right tool for a beginner.

Breaking the head off - you'll do it several more times before you're done. It does take a LOT to break it, but I've knocked a few off. Running the wire through the ears of the core made things a lot better. I need to glue the bearings onto the ears of the core so I stop losing those.

Glad you're having fun with the fixed pitch. They are a hoot and flying them is rewarding. Just my opinion, a Slo Max motor ($10) and Xtreme 8° blades ($8) makes a difference that is worth everything. Oh, and you'll need a pinion for the motor. I went with a 10 tooth pinion. Most use a 9 tooth. If I had both I'd do a test, but what I have works for me in my bird at my elevation (780 ft above sea level).

How ya doing with getting the bird to fly fairly stable? With the rotor level, the left skid will always be low, so don't lose any sleep over the swash being cocked a little sideways. Just tune it so you can fly it.

I have some stuff about setting up the fixed pitch if you are interested. Just let me know and I'll break it up so I can post it. Or send me a real email address and I'll send it to you that way.

Solobss
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
xyster101

Solo, isn't de nile a river in Egypt?

Fly the drill around, . . . humm. . put a full face helmet on that kid, he is not allowed to lick the windows anymore.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
soloboss

Randy - pitch and throttle curves?
Oh, yeah - that's that stuff that "You guys" have to adjust and I don't. LOL.
I'm using the rotor from my living room ceiling fan, and that is most certainly fixed pitch, so that's a no brainer. (no-brainers being my specialty)
As far as fixed pitch, I was working on that one and I think I have it figured out. When I pull the trigger a little, it goes slowly. When I pull the trigger hard it goes fast. And I figured it out all by myself! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

We figured out what to do with that pale dead thing in the sink.
We ate it.

Solo
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
stump3r

ORIGINAL: soloboss

psb667
the parts you need don't have to be honey bee - the Falcon 40, EF Sabre, Walkera #4 all use the same parts.
psb Actually this is wrong. The head on the Honey Bee is a wee bit different that the head on the Walkera/Falcon. The ball links on the head of the honey bee are larger in diameter than the Walkera/Falcon. As well the bearing spacing is a little tighter. Not sure you will find an Esky dealer close. Try Helidirect. Good guys and quick service.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM
choppersrule

Mark:

Just barging in here quickly... It seems like a lot of are plaqued with our jobs or lack of one. I'm on 100% commision, soooo, I only get paid for what I do. Even though I'm there 40 to 45 hours a week. I checked last years pay stubs and for the last 2 months I'm about at half what I made last year at this time.. Fried balogna is looking better all the time. I've had tougher times though, and didn't like them either.[>:] Things will work out, I like to call these times a minor bump in my life..

I was reading about your drill-heli, and thought I'd build one too. Since I already had the parts on hand. With that in mind, it was free.

I call my drill-heli, the "Skil-heli 9.6". It hovers very well, but I have no control of where it's gonna go next. I'll have to work on that. To spool it up, just pull the trigger on the drill and use black vinyl tape to hold it at the desired speed.

Hope you had a good turkey day,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98944.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1079971  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 PM
soloboss

David - a Collective Pitch? I am truly impressed! Nice photo. If we had an online photo album, I'm sure yours would be in there.

I hope your turkey was better to you than you were to him.

And that work stuff, I'm down a good bit from last year too. I'm not on commission, but I am a contractor so in the department I work for I am the variable. More work= more hours, less work= less hours. And I'm strictly hourly. l I fully expect that when the current work is done, so am I until the boating industry picks up. Normally I'd worry, but for some reason this time I'm not. I've been through so many economic hickups that I'm just tired of it all. I don't know if it's maturity or stupidity that keeps me from lying awake at night looking for a plan. Or maybe, given a little confidence in the markets and that Fat old Check from Pres Elect Obama things will turn around in less than two years.
Oh heck, it's Thanksgiving. I'll spend today feeling grateful for what is, and leave the worrying for later.

That was a great Thanksgiving thread you started. Isn't this just about the greatest group you could hope to meet?

For now it's PIE TIME!!

Solo
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 PM
psb667

thanks for the advice gonna get the parts one way or another
Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
J-MICHAEL

To spool it up, just pull the trigger on the drill

AND THEN RUN.....................................
Old 11-27-2008, 11:47 PM
psb667

Ya that looks like a suicide device to me
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: psb667

Ya that looks like a suicide device to me

LOL...... All heli's are suicide devices in my eyes......
Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 PM
broggyr

Dave, that's AWESOME - a NOTAR drillcopter! *drool*
Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: broggyr

Dave, that's AWESOME - a NOTAR drillcopter! *drool*
I say we raffle for it...........[8D]
Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 AM
RMG2

My stomach hurts!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
soloboss

If the folks from Skill see it, they'll put a blade guard on it!
Oh, can't you just see it now - a federal requirement for blade guards for RC helicopters.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 AM
soloboss

Shane, I didn't know the Esky fixed pitch had bigger balls. This is embarassing! I really did think that all of these little buggers were clones. Hmmm.
So if guy got a head core and head from a Falcon or Walkera #4 would that fit the shaft on the HP? Sometimes changing to a more popular product has its advantages.

Oh, on the driveshaft thing from yesterday, I did have the drive plates off but again, I didn't rotate the yoke and mark it. I ran the engine and transmission with the plates out to check the driveshaft balance. When I re-assembled it I must have put the yoke back in the same way I had it the first time. Anyhow, today is test day. If it passes, it's off to storage.

Happy Black Friday! Oh, you don't have black friday in CA. Never mind.

Solo
Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
soloboss

psb667 - You did see the post from Shane (Stump3r). He says the link balls on the head of a Honey Bee are larger than on the others, so you want the real parts.
Just making sure you get the right stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.