Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 AM
garyedwards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Engine Troubleshooting and Tuning

one question should u start the car with the wheels on the groung or off.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 AM
webbl19

if you are new do it off the ground until you get a feel for how it starts if you are using your throttle trim and stuff sometimes they like to start up and take off if it is on the ground.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
radford512

Default RE: Nitro Engine Troubleshooting

hi i have a shockwave and it is all wheel drive and the front wheels only spin and the rear does not can you help?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
pede_187

Check the rear dogbones, and rear diff first
Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Lordmik

CHeck the grub screw that holds the drive cup to the center trans. make sure the driveshaft that turns the rear turns with the spur. If not, it's probably that grub screw backed out.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
JEF1971

IM WORKING ON A SHOCKWAVE I PUT A FEW DROPS OF FUEL IN THE CARB AND THE CAR STARTS IMMEDIATELY BUT CUTS OFF WHEN THIS FUEL BURNS OFF-IT DOES NOT PULL FUEL FROM THE TANK. IF I TAKE THE FUEL LINE LOOSE FROM THE CARB AND START THE CAR, IT PUMPS FUEL THRU THE LINES...PLEASE HELP
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
chevyderek72

ok what you need to do is put the fuel line to the carb on, then take off the fuel line that goes to the pipe and blow in it, it will push fuel to the carb, right when fuel hits the carb stop blowing. then put a couple drops of fuel in the carb. then make sure your settings on your carb are fine. put the hsn at 2.5 turns out, and the lsn flush with the collar. those are base settings so tune from there. then it should start up. if it doesnt start up i hold the car down with the radio, and pull the throttle, put the glow ignitor on, and then pull start it, it gets more fuel to the carb and that way it will start if its being stubborn
Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Rene1977

Need some help here- my pullstarted won't pull and the clutch bell won't turn, it's been like this for a while and I know it's not flooded. Help please!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 PM
ohhalecks83

wen i open the throotle more than half way it bogs out. but less than that it doesnt. whts wrong. any help
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
benandedie

I have a volcano truck and it was not tuned well, I began to tune according to instructions and no when I try to pull start it is very hard! I need help so that I dont throw it.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
chevyderek72

its probably hydro locked, aka flooded. take the glow plug out and flip it and pull the cord.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM
AZMIN

Hi guys. I'm newbie here and have some problem tuning my buggy engine.I know some basic stuff (high needle - clockwise will lean and vice versa.....idle needle- clockwise will high idling and vice versa) but my current problem is:

1) What is the function of low needle?

2) My engine is one gallon old and idling fine (it was broke in by LHS). However, when I give some throttle...my buggy runs smoothly and when I give full throttle for the first time...it runs nicely..BUT when I give another full throttle....the engine sounds like going to die/stall and when I continue giving full throttle..it will die/stall. Whats should I do?

Hope to get some help here.Thanks

P/s: Anyone knows any link/website that teaches how to troubleshooting/tuning nitro engine comprehensively???..
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
perhamrocks

1) the low speed needle determines how rich or lean it is between 0 and 50% throttle so leaner equals more acceleration and also will stay idling longer.
the best way to check the low speed needle is to get your car running rund the car in a circle or two, then bring it back to you and pinch the fuel line. if it takes longer than 5 seconds to died then it's too rich, if it takes less then 3 seconds to die then it is too lean.

2)sounds like your high speed needle is too lean and it's getting starved of gas when your going full throttle. set it back to factory settings, which is all the way in, but don't tighten it!!!!!, then 2 1/2 turns out. Then re- tune it.

3)the redcat site has something about tuning but also take a look at this
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGjExP9GkM&feature=channel_page]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGjExP9GkM&feature=channel_page[/link]

edit: also make sure that your engine doesn't go over 260 degrees fahrenheit
Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 AM
AZMIN

Thanks man..will try to do as what you suggest..cheers
Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM
jambafromhell

Help!, Does anybody know that stock settings for the vx.18 engine on the tornadobb!?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
codokas

2 1/2 out from closed on high
flush with collar on the low
DOUG
ORIGINAL: jambafromhell

Help!, Does anybody know that stock settings for the vx.18 engine on the tornadobb!?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
jambafromhell

Dude thanks for the quick response, u are a life saver, i think i would have ****ed up my engine with out the stock settings
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 PM
AZMIN

Guyss..another help needed!!!

When I give full throttle and straight away release back to neutral position , the engine will scream BUT hang for like 2 seconds before it idles to neutral. Why it hang for 2 seconds and not straight away back to idle position?..Usually..once I release the throttle to neutral position..the engine will straight away back to neutral/idle position.

What should I do?..How do I troubleshoot this kind of problem?..Hope someone would help me out here...Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
AZMIN

PINCH TEST

I did the pinch test and the engine stop in 3 seconds which means the setting is ok. However ..usually the engine will ramp up a little bit before it stops BUT this time it did not not ramp up at all. Whats wrong?..Any suggestion to rectify this OR it is normal for the engine not to ramp up before it stops? []
Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Geoff78

I am new to the R/C world and I have had the Tsunami for a few months now but I broke it within the first 10 minutes of owning it back in November. I finally decided to get the parts to fix it and want to operate it. My problem is though that I cannot get it to stay running once I take the Glow stick off of it. I followed all of the carb settings I found on here hoping that would work but it is not. Can anyone give me some insight as to what the problem may be?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
perhamrocks

more than likely your settings are too rich, because the factory settings is just a general setting to get it running, but you will have to lean it out to get it to performing form. But if u are still breaking it in keep it as rich as possible while still keeping it running at the same time
Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Geoff78

What adjustments do I need to make to keep it running without the glow stick in place, while attempting to keep it "running rich"
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
perhamrocks

well first of all make sure the idle adjustment is good by taking off the air filter and making sure the opening in the carb is about 1mm. Then turn the highspeed needle all the way in, but do not tighten it, then take it 2 1/2 turns out. Then the low speed needle should be flush with the collar. if the car still loads up with fuel and dies after u take out the glow plug, lean out the low speed an 1/8 of a turn at a time. Also always make sure your exuast is spitting out plenty of blue smoke, and it should also be dripping unused fuel (for a rich setting).
Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
rjsdad

the rpm should raise a 1.5-2 seconds then shut off. If you are doing the pinch test and the rpm does not increase then you are running to lean. This is not good for the engine. Also look at your glow plug, if the coil are white then it is running hot (lean) The fuel is a lubricant as well for the engine.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go [link=http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.849850/site/videotraining.html]HERE[/link] to check out some new videos we have to help you get going and help with engine adjustments.

Darin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.