Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

so why would i buy a nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
MORNINGSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so why would i buy a nitro?

as a newb, it seems like more trouble than its worth, 'specially with brushless motors.

so, im asking strait up, as a total newb dolt with no experience, looking for direction:

Why would i even consider a nitro vs electric monster truck?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: so why would i buy a nitro?

Some people just enjoy the challenges of Nitro. They can both be as powerful as the other. I like nitro for the sound, smelland the challenge of working on them.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you ask? Go on youtube and get whatever you like. No one can tell you why you should buy one, you need to see what you like. The first time I saw a nitro running, I fell in love with it. Simple as that and I have always stuck with it since. Since you are assuming that nitro is more trouble than its worth, it is obvious that you are not seeing the simplest reason to consider nitro which is the realism whether that is the sound/smell/or mechanical aspect of it.

Tom.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Montana Mike

is that post to me or MORNINGSTAR? I totally agree with the sound, smell, and mechanical aspect of nitro. Electric seems like the easy way out to me... personally.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:53 PM
MORNINGSTAR

i mean, its not like im lookin for an easy way out, its just i like to bash.

an electric motor is simple. a nitro w/ carbs and glow plugs, not so much.

im not a real gear head, but the world to me is leggos, so its a bad thing to be more complicated.

i just assume, things that are more complicated, have more ways of failing and breaking.

and i want to abuse the hell out of it.

it just seems , to me, that a nitro will be more labor intensive. i.e. more time and $$$ spent fixing and tuning, than actually hucking gaps.

plus, the only ones you folks say are the best, cost $6 freggin bills.

not to knock, but im not ready to start making that type of sacrifice for this hobby. YET
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Montana Mike

to me electric is way more expensive with all the fancy expensive batteries, expensive battery chargers, expensive ESC's, Nitro you charge your batteries on board and transmitter, fill her up and go bash. Electric, once the battery is dead you have to sit and wait for it to charge, Unless you spend a fortune on extra batteries. To each their own though. Each has there benefits as well as down falls though
Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
RenegadeRevo

It's all personal preference. If you don't want to fuss with Nitro engines, don't... 'cause you'll hate 'em. I love all of it. Yes, it can be very frustrating, but the rewards are AWESOME! The sound, the smell, the speed....
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Electric is faar more expensive. I started out nitro, stopped for a year, and switched to electric. To get a car running with electric and have similar performance to a nitro costs almost twice as much. I'm back in the market for a big MT, and it seems it's either nitro or E-Revo. To get an E-Revo to run with same performance as a nitro Revo, I'd have to spend another $500 over and above the cost of the E-Revo itself in two LiPo batteries and a motor alone. (I happen to have a $150 LiPo-capable charger. If you don't, that's at least $50 more.) Good luck!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
amf66

ORIGINAL: MORNINGSTAR

not to knock, but im not ready to start making that type of sacrifice for this hobby. YET
Six bills? I don't think so! I have a $300 dollar Tower Terror and I have just as much fun bashing it as people with $600 hopped up Savages! You don't have to buy a top dollar truck to have fun working on it and driving it. In fact, the next MT or truggy I plan on buying is a Himoto MegaP and they only cost around $200 but from what I hear here on the forums they are as good as much more expensive trucks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Montana Mike

+1 young one
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a Losi Mini-LST with a brushless system installed and I have sold it now. I didn't like it because I have to charge the battery every 15 minutes. It is a real hassle!! But there are advantages to electric cars. They are much quieter, cleaner and brushless can go crazy speed too!

However, with Nitro, you get the sound and the smoke and it can be very powerful too. But I can just take a gallon of fuel with me and I can play all-day-long without worrying about charging every 15 minutes. To be honest, if you get an average battery for your electric car, run-time on those batteries are crap!!! But higher end batteries can cost up to hundreds of dollars.

There are disadvantages to nitro cars, they are loud(sometimes really loud with a full throttle), messy and a lot of tuning problems can occur.

My first Nitro car is the Tamiya RevStorm 1/10 that I'm playing right now... Had a glow plug died first day during break in and had trouble starting the engine after the first tank during break in. I was frustrated at first, but once you learn how to tune your engines and everything, you will love it!!

When it comes to monster truck, I see no reason not getting nitros. Come on! they are like designed to run on nitros!! It's so cool with a big engine in those big truck! You don't get the same feel with electric cars!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
sheograth

A lot of people (myself included) enjoy the process of working with a real internal combustion engine. That's not to say that I don't love electric - but it's not as simple as straight performance comparisons.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
MORNINGSTAR

well.

IMHO.

Noise, smoke, speed, fire and that smell, alone seem worth it.

im just a total newb, and hate running on assumptions.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
madbrad70

I have alway liked working on my Mustang so when I got back in to RC, going nitro was a easy choice for me. I like to see the performace gains i can get when i have a good tune and i like all the noise they make too. I only race so when there are 10 buggies running around the track, it just music to my ears.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
ExoDemon
My Feedback: (9)

I agree that if possible, you should try (or at least watch) both. I was always an electric guy, and I was moving my way up into brushless 1/8 scale trucks... but I really didn't want to spend the big money on good lipo batteries and a new charger (I had a NiMH setup already). I ended up picking up a Losi Aftershock in a trade for one of my electrics, with the intention of converting it to brushless. I'd never seen nitro run, though, so I had a friend from work bring in some fuel and an igniter, and we ran it around the parking lot at work.

The next weekend I went out and bought everything I would need to run it - the sound, smell, and sight of the nitro was just too much fun to pass up. Yes, it's more work to get it set up right, but I am enjoying it more than I ever did my electrics. That's why I would recommend seeing both run...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM
MORNINGSTAR

i really like the associated Mini MGT.

is that a good lil truck?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
nitro rc

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Why do you ask? Go on youtube and get whatever you like. No one can tell you why you should buy one, you need to see what you like. The first time I saw a nitro running, I fell in love with it. Simple as that and I have always stuck with it since. Since you are assuming that nitro is more trouble than its worth, it is obvious that you are not seeing the simplest reason to consider nitro which is the realism whether that is the sound/smell/or mechanical aspect of it.

Tom.
same here. The first time i saw one, i wanted one.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just one more thought, if you want to enjoy this hobby. Nitro is must!!! It would be even better to have both Nitro and electric!!!

I was looking the Losi Speed-T Brushless. man, it is so fast!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
quadracer111

There VERY fun!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: MORNINGSTAR

i mean, its not like im lookin for an easy way out, its just i like to bash.

an electric motor is simple. a nitro w/ carbs and glow plugs, not so much.

im not a real gear head, but the world to me is leggos, so its a bad thing to be more complicated.

i just assume, things that are more complicated, have more ways of failing and breaking.

and i want to abuse the hell out of it.

it just seems , to me, that a nitro will be more labor intensive. i.e. more time and $$$ spent fixing and tuning, than actually hucking gaps.

Seems like you answered your own question there[X(]
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
ea77

I would buy both and electric and nitro.

Because if you start with Nitro onlyand don't know all the troubleshooting of tuning nitro motor then you have nothing else to play with.

Nitro is more satisfying though with the sound of smell even though these days one can get a brushless setups which faster and more efficient, and easy to setup.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

associated Mini MGT.
is a great truck , just got 1 and still breaking it in and its a beast of a truck. cant go wrong with associated.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
MMT GUNS

Get both electric and nitro, I actually started with electric back in the early 90's. 2 years latter I bought my RC10GT still have it, now I have 3 electric buggy and 3 nitro truck like some one said before. just in case you brake aether one you still have fun.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
MORNINGSTAR

ORIGINAL: scott36

associated Mini MGT.
is a great truck , just got 1 and still breaking it in and its a beast of a truck. cant go wrong with associated.

HEY THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS CONSIDERING!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
mycarisaser

I have had both. nitro and electric 1/8 and 1/10 ! Its fun to have both. Due to bad a bad economy I sold all my stuff but my e-revo. I prefur the instant power and huge amounts of torque that a large brushless system puts out. So no tuning for me. I wont say one is better than the other but before you choice one go to you lhs or race/bash track and check both out. See what peaks your intrest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.