Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Bridi airplane kits by Bluejay Airplane Kits

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Bridi airplane kits by Bluejay Airplane Kits

Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 PM
pinnedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi airplane kits by Bluejay Airplane Kits

I have read a lot of positive discussion concerning the planes designed by Joe Bridi, in particular the Kaos and Dirty Birdy planes. I came across a website for Bridi airplane kits manufactured by Bluejay Airplane Kits (http://www.bridiairplanes.com/index.html). I currently fly a 4 Star 40 and have a lot of skill development to go with the 4 Star but am always looking forward to the next build. I have been planning on an Ultra Sport 60 until I came across the Bluejay Airplane Kits website. Does anyone have experience with the Bridi airplane kits manufactured by Bluejay Airplane Kits, including the Brid Dirty Birdy 60 or the Brid Utter Chaos 60? How do these kits build and would the either of these planes be a good plane for an entry-level pattern flyer?

Thanks for your comments
Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bridi airplane kits by Bluejay Airplane Kits

I can't anything specifically about this manufacturer, but both planes would make excellent entry pattern planes. The Dirty birdy is a much faster plane, and in some ways the Kaos would probably be better. Both are excellent flyers though.

Arch
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Ask this question in the classic pattern section. I have the Utter Chaos kit at home and it builds like any other Bridi design.

Jim
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I have a question about the "Bluejay Airplane Kits". Are they old school where you get a box of lumber and everything has to be cut or are they the new Laser cut style kits ?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

The Bluejay kits are very good, I built the Dirty Birdy and have a kit for another. The wood good and it's all precision machine cut. In my mind this is better than laser cut, you don't have to sand off the pesky laser burns.

The instructions aren't photo, step by step, hold your hands instructions. They are very sufficient for building the plane if you've built before and can read plans.

I would recommend the Dirty Birdy over the Kaos if you have any interest in pattern. I loved my Kaos but the Dirty Birdy is a much better plane and does great knife edge.

Here is a thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4768795 that has a couple of tips on the Dirty Birdy from when I built mine.

Dave
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the Dirty Birdy from Blue Jay Models. My only gripe is that some of the wood is heavy. I had to replace the wing l.e. and t.e. sheeting . Some of the wood for the fuse is also heavy . I wasn't expecting contest grade , hand selected pieces here , but a little better for the price.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
JoeSpitfire
My Feedback: (18)

I bought and built the Utter Chaos as an entry-level pattern plane about four or five years ago when Joe Bridi was still selling the kits. As mentioned before, the instructions are "old-school" (no pictures, with a lot left to the imagination). If you've built before, you shouldn't have any trouble. My plane flies great to this day and still gets plenty of use.

Joe
Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure if I want to build again but if I do I know where to look for a kit.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 PM
pinnedup

Yes, thanks for the responses, sounds like Bluejay Airplane Kits makes a great product and their and Dirty Birdy is an excellent flier. Time to start saving.

Dave, thanks for the link to your Dirty Birdy build thread and the updates you provided to the thread.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
pinnedup

It appears that knife edges are one advantage of the Dirty Birdy over Kaos. Speed does not seem important in pattern flying so a plane that flys well at lower speeds is not a negative (?). Are there other pros and cons between the Dirty Birdy 60 and Kaos 60 for entry-level pattern flying?
How would the Dirty Birdy 60 compare to the Ultra Sport 60 for an entry-level pattern flyer?
Thanks