Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
dmcconneyherc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

Hi Mike,

I hope this does start to sound like everyone is ganging up on you. I hope everyone takes into account each others different backgrounds and feelings when passing on information. The best way to get the most out of a forum is to pass on information that will help others in the most factual and neutral manner possible.

Anyway Mike, I have decided to stay with the RCV engines for the following reasons.

1) I have read quite a bit on the RCV engines and they seem to be very reliable and easy to start. Also seems to be good on fuel.
2) RCV has told me I should have no troubles spinning a 15x12 four blade VarioProp Propeller and the exhast extension from MAC Products should not have any effect either.
3) The cost difference for the electric version would be ~$1200 to $1500 (CDN) more for the electric.
4) A number of people at the local club have had troubles with the LiPo batteries and have had to replace several (pricing items).
5) The length of time it will take to recharge and therefore the need for sets of batteries to facilitate more than one flight per trip to the field.

Since this is really an exercise in building a flying behemoth with a steep learning curve, I doubt there is much about this build that is black and white / cut and dry. All I can say is after doing all the research and carefull thinking and consideration, make the best decision for you. We are all here to help each other with information and support.

Good luck Mike and keep us informed as you progress. Who knows, if you decide to go with the electric, you might just surprise everyone with success.

Dave
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain this is your wing man to rescue...hehe

Well considering what Dave^^said i will mellow down a bit. Mike i have a proposal for you buddy, instead of you trying and experimenting on this project and put it on risk as starter in electric how about i send you short kit of Jim Young's designed electric B-29 bomber with 80" WS!.
It would a cheap and easy way to try you abilities out on and if you succeeded on B29 then i bet this beast wouldn't be much problem to electrify it.

Now at one time i wanted to make it into glow model so i added 1/4" square stick as spar on one of the wing panels and then realized that little Norvels could be real problematic so left on this the project.

What i have here is: Fuselage foam cores X2 front and back
Wing cores x2, Horizontal Stab and Vertical fin with
rudder that i made for it and plans..

What you need to get from Jim are following parts: Front plastic glass nose cone and all four clear plastic engine nacelles as i don't have those anymore.

Now here is the deal:
I will not charge you or sell you this model, it will be my present to you to experiment on and if you succeeded then all the power to you but if failed well no problem and you know glow is the way for Hercules. You could modify it for brushless motors with esc's and lipos as it's designed for brushed speed 400 motors.

So what do you think, PM me your address and i'll have it all nicely packed and shipped out to you.

Happy Holidays guys!..
Sam

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
rcmiket

Nice Offer. Take him up on it. Mike
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Props4ever

LOCKHEED C-130 MANUFACTURING MINI VIDEOS FROM ASSEMBLY PLANT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzoSEz0eYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMZKV97VZEo

Must be seen by any C130 enthusiast...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Props4ever

Mike this you have to see!!!!!

Electric powered RC C130.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ao1w6mnKD0&NR=1

Your new route could be disastrous also....
-

15' wingspan Gasser Hercules....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8RAXMzZlY
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

You guys are relentless. What does the fact that the airplane in the video was electric have to do with the crash? A stall/spin is a stall/spin. I am kind of surprised by the lack of encouragement here. If it is his airplane, and he wants to make it electric then it is his decision. There is a video on youtube right now of the exact same C-130 that was in the video you posted with different propellors that makes a very sucessful flight. I am excited to see the progress he makes with it. It should be fun to watch. Prove them wrong Mike!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: jetfixr

You guys are relentless. What does the fact that the airplane in the video was electric have to do with the crash? A stall/spin is a stall/spin. I am kind of surprised by the lack of encouragement here. If it is his airplane, and he wants to make it electric then it is his decision. There is a video on youtube right now of the exact same C-130 that was in the video you posted with different propellors that makes a very sucessful flight. I am excited to see the progress he makes with it. It should be fun to watch. Prove them wrong Mike!
I agree. When I do mine, whatever kit it turns out to be, it will either be electric or turbine. I can find no reason not to go electric. I fly electric helicopters all the time...they draw huge amperage and consume major power quickly and I have not had a single fire, smoked ESC, or any other battery power related issue....ever. Hundreds of flights, no issue.

Frankly, if everyone had the attitude like we are seeing here this hobby would have been stuck in the past and we would not have the great breakthroughs we have today...

Go for the electric conversion....it will rock!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
mironpopescu1

I ALSO LOOKED AT ELECTRIC VERSION AND HERE ARE TWO FACTORS TO REMEMBER. 1. TO GET PALMER ON THE AIR FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES IT TAKES 4 LIPOS OF 5000 MAH EACH COSTING ABOUT $ 450 A PIECE. iF YOU FLY 100 DAYS EVERYDAY YOU WILL NEED TO SPEND $1800 EVERY 3 MONTHS. I JUST STOP FLYING JETS JUST BECAUSE OF THE LATER MIKE
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Maybe I will simply surprise everyone. [8D] [>:]

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
tahustvedt

Electric will be awesome and itl will sound great too. It's a turbo prop after all.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM
dmcconneyherc

Hey Mike,

I have decided to keep the electric option open. Who knows ...........

Please keep me informed as to how you are progressing. I am holding off for now to make any engine purchases until you have had a chance to get an idea of the electric side. I still think the battery issue is going to be the biggest hurdle.

I look forward to your progress. As I leaarn more I will pass it on as well.

Dave
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Regardless of which powerplant is selected, we will all have issues to deal with. I do feel like the recent posts have expressed a sincere leaning towards glow. I am not a proponent of electric, but I am willing to try an alternative. I consider all issues presented and weight them in my decision to complete my Herc project. I do not have all the answers, but I am willing to search until I find a solution that I AM HAPPY WITH.

This is a hobby and we all have opinions. I see that some opinions can be stronger than others. I will not make my decision based on a single opinion or YouTube video. I will post when I make a decision on my powerplant.

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
schwatd

Hi Guys,....er and Girls,

You know when you are building a plane that takes a few YEARS!!!!!! to build and a fair amount of money to fund, I don't think it's fair for anyone to slam the builder for his or her choices when it is very obvious that they are bourne out of concern for the survivability of the project. Especially when an equally time and funds consuming project ended unfortunately on the maiden flight just off the end of the runway I think Mike is very justified in his concerns and determination to have whatever powerplant HE FEELS is best for him and his project. Mike and I are both glow engine junkies but to be honest with you I'm not sure Mike isn't exactly right with his choices. I'm investigating two radio systems so that the engines can be remotely restarted and managed while in-flight, and I still have worries that it wont be enough. I don't want to be a statistic video on YouTube with a $10K or $20K plane spiralling in with everybody watching it going you know that wouldn't have happened if he would have used electric. This is a hobby, it is suppose to be fun and funny, I hope Mike succeeds I want to learn from his experience, I'm still going with glow, Mike and I will exchange notes. I would like to see everyone's finished product, trying to build a flying truck is way different than a fighter jet or a private aircraft, the flight perameters are way different. Everybody have fun with this one, C-130s are the longest 'In Production Mil/Civ Cargo Aircraft' in the world. It's a cool plane and this should be a cool posting, Lets have some fun and share ideas. My best to everyone even those who will disagree with me. Well I think I'll post a picture. Robby?!?!?!? did I forget to pay my electric bill again??????

On another note I've included a picture of a FEMA onboard starter I found at Hobby Lobby, Does anyone have any experience with these animals??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17335.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1088079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65351.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1088080  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Props4ever

Hey schwatd,

It's been a while didn't saw any postings from ya, i hope all is ok with ya madness member..hehe

In all honesty i have to say this, that i am not against Mike powering his herk with electric, i am just afraid that he is not experienced and nor am i in electrics but since they are very expansive and there is risk of catching fire internally as seen in one of the video of youtube, my best advise to him is to stay with glow. I know he is very nice and moderate guy and i really like the way he makes his posts and explains his views and i really like that about Mike. I offered Mike my B29 short kit to use as practice model instead of experimenting on this master piece that we all love and is taking years to build yet he didn't said anything about it. It's just the risk factor and also excessive cost of the material including motors, esc's, 6C batteries and chargers are most scary, yet instead of flying it few times in one day or event, he will just be able for fly it couple times only so in my views that's a setback!...

Mike i know you are very compliant modeler and person and i hope your decision will be successful for many years of flying this lovely monster but as a fellow Herky Madness's junior member i am very skeptical of your decision at this point. This is my own personal opinion and no one else, if anyone likes it good if not then no big deal from my end.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM
rcmiket

Your missing the point. None of us understood glow and we managed to figure that out or we would have gave up the sport. Electrics are just a new tool for us to use. There are entire forums dedicated to electric power to help guys like us to succeed. I'm living proof. Electric power is not some kind of VODO is a growing part of our sport. I'm hooked on it for my EDF's and Helicopters. I'm sure Mike will do his homework just as he did for his E2C Hawkeye project which by the way the original plans called for electric power. He blew them up and went glow his choice. My C-130 which not as large as you alls was glow but I'm sure that if I do another it electric. Give it a chance. Mike

Name:	Us53748.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1088274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13609.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1088275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38805.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1088276  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Props4ever

Mike,

I know what you guys are saying and i have seen even bigger models being powered by electric yet i am still not going to favor electric over glow anytime soon specially for this type of beast!. Like i said above that this is my opinion and i will stand by it.

I hope to get mine soon as i know i have been talking about it but still without my beast!...

Captain change my mind on this and prove me wrong, all the power to you...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
rcmiket

You have that 80" B-29 sitting there doing nothing why not prove it to yourself? I'm sorry but I just don't see your point you have been against Mike's choice since he brought it up. Do you own any electric powered anything? Do you have any experence with electrics at all? All I've seen is U Tube videos from you forecasting failure. If you have any basis for you opinion(like experience with electric power) please share it. Not looking for a fight but I'm speaking form experince with electric power. Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

You have that 80" B-29 sitting there doing nothing why not prove it to yourself? I'm sorry but I just don't see your point you have been against Mike's choice since he brought it up. Do you own any electric powered anything? Do you have any experience with electrics at all? All I've seen is U Tube videos from you forecasting failure. If you have any basis for you opinion(like experience with electric power) please share it. Not looking for a fight but I'm speaking form experience with electric power. Mike
Yes i had one Typhoon which was my first electric and i didn't liked it, sold it shortly after wards, then now i have this Robbe Airliner which is twin pusher model and looks as B767 with B737-200's engine nacelles!, i have seen it fly and also flew once, it's ok but still not the greatest, yet both of these models took longest time to field charge and i could only do couple flights on that Typhoon. In my opinion i think electric set up is ok for foamies of small single engine models but not for huge mutli engine models. I can't stand being sitting at the field after one flight while my plane recharges yet others fly there glow powered models multiple times in between. I don't have any pic of Typhoon but here is of my B767.

As for my 80" B29, if i was remotely interested or had seen good in multi engine electric model do you think it would still be in kit form, i think not...

Name:	Pn36457.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1088292  
Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
rcmiket

Sorry I guess you have it all figured out. Your vast experience with large scale muti-engine plan built electric planes have convinced me to toss all my stuff in the trash. I guess I'm lucky I lived through the last 3 years with these electrons even close to me. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors and I guess we must just agree to disagree on this one. Please keep us informed on progress on your Connie or C-130. Regards. Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Sorry I guess you have it all figured out. Your vast experience with large scale muti-engine plan built electric planes have convinced me to toss all my stuff in the trash. I guess I'm lucky I lived through the last 3 years with these electrons even close to me. Mike
WOW Mike, great attitude there man, instead of convincing me to think differently (Positively) about electrics, you are doing all opposite!. Well if this how it's going to go then whats the point of these forums, not much i guess....I have different opinion from my little to none electric experience compared to yourself and now this is how you help in these situations..good one man!. GLOW GLOW GLOW all the way!!!!! hehehe....

Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 PM
rcmiket

Sir there is no convincing you. You are are closed minded to electric power nad a self proclamed expert on the subject. At this point I see I'm wasting my time dealing with you. Just what large muti -engine plane are you building? I've looked at your profile. Are you building a large C-130? You have also posted about a Connie is that under construction? I've run across my share of "keyboard" experts here and you seem to fit that description. If your up to it PM me and we can continue this. It's just a waste of everyone's time here since it has nothing to do with the build. Regards. Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Props4ever

Yes you are right SIR, you have very positive attitude about convincing people by going through there profiles and not by openly explaining them what they need to learn new about but instead you washed your hands off and walked away!.

Yep no need to go on this as it has nothing to do with this thread. Im here to learn, share and have good time with fun in the hobby and not get into arguments with whom who careless to teach others.

One thing i have to tell you SIR, i have in past looked into converting my Connie into electric powered model few months ago but decided against it due to super high cost of equipment needed from half decent manufacturing brands and then the time it would take to recharge the batteries on the field...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 PM
rcmiket

As per my prior post please PM me if you wish to continue this worthless conversation. You have no facts to back up anything just your "keyboard experience" with electrics. Just what are you building besides Post #'s. Regards Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
rcmiket

I apologize for getting this tread "off track". I'll be glad to continue this by PM. I'm done with the direction its going.As soon as it has something relevant I'll chime in. Regards Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Props4ever

Sorry guys it went off track a little bit specially Captain UkerDuker, i hope to participate in it where i see my input or opinion will be needed and respected as before, it's unfortunate the way it happened and i also wish not to continue with Mr. Rcmiket on this anymore. I have pmed him but he still refuses to show any compassion to teach, well that's up to him no big deal at my end. Lets all continue with this Madness once again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.