Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Gaiotto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54

Hi Brent,

If I offend you asking free plans, sorry. I just ask because I don´t have any skills in designing a plane from CAD, and I don´t have in my country any kit of Yak to buy just ARF´s that´s so expensive for me to buy and your plan open an oportunity to me for building this kind of model from plans, and this is so good to me because I don´t have the money to buy an ARF. I know what time makes to design a plane...sorry for asking,

Thanks
Gaiotto
Brasil
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Don't worry. I am not offended. The 40cc yak plans will be available to people once NMYAK54 gets them finished.

Brent
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM
happyfly2008

Hi Syd, NMYAK54 and Brent, you have a wonderfull threads on this Yak 54, I come from Spirits of Pitts building threads and find the Yak a very interesting model to build.

For the motor box mount in the Pitts we have a doubler on the fuse from the motor side to the wing plate fixations mount, are the same for you ?

Another curiosity, in the very early post of this thread I have seen a Brent rendering of the wings that appear to be done with Compufoil; I use this CAD/CAM to project wing and is very powerfull and versatile.

Now seems that Sid and NM use a solid modeller, how can all the wing stuff (sheetings, LE and TE stuff, spars, lightenign holes, building tabs expecially for washout ...) can be done in SolidWorks ? You have to "think" to this stuff and do it manually I suppose.

Ciao from Italy [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79716.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1076690  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Brent G

Happyfly

I originally used compufoil for my wing design. I have since modified the airfoil that I use in cad. I exported a airfoil into cad and the changed the thickness, the thickest point and reworked the shape infront of the thickest point of the cord. It was easier to do it in cad versus doing it in compufoil. The motor box for the 50cc plane does not need a doubler. 1/8" material is plenty strong for a plane this size. On my 100cc design I use 1/4" material with no doublers. At the wing tube I will have a boxed support that the wing tube goes through.

I am not an expert on solid works so this might not be the exact way to answer your question on washout. I think the way you would do the washout in Solid works it to take your tip rib and rotate the tip trailing edge up to the amount of washout that you want. Then extrude the shape between the root and tip. You can then loft all the ribs between the to templates.

Sid and MNYAKS will probably chime in to give a more detailed explination. Thanks for watching the thread. It is cool to hear form people all around the world.

Brent

Brent Good Custom Airframes
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
The_Lost_Otter

updates on the plans?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
happyfly2008

I have got a brand new CNC router so I am wondering about a good CAD plan to cut; I am very interested about the Yak 54 of this thread.

I have seen on a past replay the plan of the eYak ... I have just a DL 50 new in a box so I am thinking to scale up this plan to something like 86".

What do you think, is sufficent to resize the width of the some parts and modify the firewall and the front part ? What about the weght distribution and the CG position ?

Thanks in advance ... ciao a tutti [8D]
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
SydDythers

Under no circumstance should even attempt to scale up the eYak. It would break apart into a million pieces with a DL50!

The airframe gets stressed a lot more at that larger scale and it was definitely not designed to withstand those types of stresses.

I am jealous of you having a cnc router. One day, when I move out of my apartment and have more space, I will get one!

HappyFly,

I too use compufoil to create my wingtip and root airfoils. I then save them into a .dxf/.dwg and import into solidworks. From there I loft the wing and create the rest of the ribs using the intersection command on xyz planes that I setup. If you just use NACA airfoils then there are some java based generators I have seen online that will allow you to copy and paste the xy coordinates into a cad program for free.

Cheers,
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Brent G

Syd

You are still out there! Good to here from you man!

I have to agree with you on scaleing up a E plane. The structure on the front of the smaller electric planes is just not built to handle the vibrarion of a gas engine. The basic outline of the plane should work but all the structure would need to be redesigned.

I was just contacted by a member of a neighboring club to design a plane. This should be a fun one. It is a 50% Pitts Model 12! 138" wing span, 123" length, powered by a 3W 275. My target weight is 75lbs. The thing should be a floater with 4800sq" of wing area give me a wing loading of 35.7 oz/sq'. I am doing some horse trading for the design. It still works out to Chinese wages though. It will probably take a minimum of 300 hours to design it. I just need to have it ready for him to build next winter.

The 100cc yak design is finished and I am waiting on the first one to arrive. It is being cut right now. My club will be giving one away ready to fly for a fundraiser. It is to help raise the money to build a new bathroom with showers at our field. We will be selling raffel ticket after the first of the year for $5 per ticket. The plane will be given away at our giant scale event in August. People that are not around the area can also buy tickets. If someone wins the plane that is not local all they have to do is cover the shipping of the plane. I am planning on having my plane and the one that will be raffled off at Joe Nall. We will be selling tickets there and at flyins and IMAC events around the Carolina's.

Here is the tennative package.

Brent Good Custom Airframes 100cc Yak
DL 100 (or some other 100cc engine if we can get it donated)
Servos, most likely Hitec 5985 and 5955 servos.
Carbon wing and stab tube, carbon gear

The plane will be ready to fly minus receiver, batteries and switches.
We are not supplying batteries and switches because people have different preferences on what they would like to use.

Here are some images of the pitts and the yak.

Have a good one!

Brent

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86317.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1087563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93958.jpg
Views:	3509
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1087564  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM
SydDythers

Yep, still out there...

But, been so drained from work, working on designs isn't in the cards these days. I actually have my 100CC Yak55 ready but need to create the cut sheets which is mind numbingly time consuming. Prob get that done over the holidays and start the build in January.

Cheers,

J
Old 12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: SydDythers

Yep, still out there...

But, been so drained from work, working on designs isn't in the cards these days. I actually have my 100CC Yak55 ready but need to create the cut sheets which is mind numbingly time consuming. Prob get that done over the holidays and start the build in January.

Cheers,

J
You're so right about the time needed to convert from solid works to AutoCAD then making the offsets for proper part size, nesting, etc... I hate that part.
I am about make the files for a 42% Piper Cub (design is already finished). It should be framed up during holidays.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 PM
n8rloves2fly

Looking for a Extra 300 about 98-100 inch ZDZ 80 any one?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Brent G

Sorry no extra 300. I just have my 106" Yak. I did start drawing up a Extra 260 but I had requests for the yak so I decided to do that one first.

Brent

Brent Good Custom Airframes.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
The_Lost_Otter

ORIGINAL: SydDythers

Under no circumstance should even attempt to scale up the eYak. It would break apart into a million pieces with a DL50!

The airframe gets stressed a lot more at that larger scale and it was definitely not designed to withstand those types of stresses.

I am jealous of you having a cnc router. One day, when I move out of my apartment and have more space, I will get one!

HappyFly,

I too use compufoil to create my wingtip and root airfoils. I then save them into a .dxf/.dwg and import into solidworks. From there I loft the wing and create the rest of the ribs using the intersection command on xyz planes that I setup. If you just use NACA airfoils then there are some java based generators I have seen online that will allow you to copy and paste the xy coordinates into a cad program for free.

Cheers,
Im moving out soon and had plans on moving to a nicer house that was decent size for me and some roomies.
But the more I though about it, it seemed like a better idea to move into a nice apartment, and have a small gerage.
Why have all you want, but strugle with money for bills when you can live in something thats decent, but have all the money you want to spend on your hobbies and still have plenty to pay the bills?

Sorry for the long sentence, keep up the awsome planes!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
samix

so Brent G.....NMYAK54 has finished the yak54 and you started an Extra 260 ???or you just started the Extra 260 till NMYAK54 finishs the yak edits?

any way i have to say it honestly......GREAT WORK GUYS.

and thanks Brent G to let this out for puplic

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Brent G

Sam

I just finished my 100cc yak drawings and I am waiting on the parts to show up from the laser cutter. I did start a 260 drawing but had to put it to the side because I had several guys wanting to buy one of the 100cc yak kits. I have 3 going out including the one for me. I hope it flies good considering that I havn't flown the proto type yet, lol! It should be an animal though. It was based on the 50cc version that is truly an amazing plane. I still plan on doing the 260. I have also had requests for a 150cc version of the yak. So many planes, so little time to design!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and santa puts a new airplane in everyones stocking!

Brent

Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Brent you going to make the tail longer for IMAC?
Building a 1/3 Spacewalker and will be after a 3D/IMAC kit later this summer.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Brent G

I am keeping within the 10% rule for imac. The way the plane is now it is not sensative in pitch as long as the cg is set right. So there is no real need to make the tail moment any longer. I did move the stab back just a little compared to the 50cc. This will make the tail moment a little longer but it also makes it closer to the full scale position. I have made planes with a very long tail monent. You end up sacraficing how easly the plane will change pitch. It makes it harder to tumble and to stop it because of the greater length of the arm. It is all about finding a balance between stability and manuverability.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Lafayette

I am learning Solidwokrs right now, and the program is great. I am looking forward to designing a model of my own on it, instead of using a pencil and a ruler, and I was wondering if anyone could send me their 3d airplane model in solidworks format so that I can see what techniques you used and how I can do my own? Send me the model as an attachment to [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it- don't worry I won't plagiarize any of your stuff, jsut looking to see if I can find a complete solidworks model to base my 3d cad work on.

Thanks,
Lafayette.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Pistu

Is there someone who can send me the plans for this fine yak, or a place where I can buy it if its not reachable for free??
[email protected]

I would be very happy if I can build this fine plane. I also interested for su-27 plan, if someone has one ......
Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Brent G

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to give you an update on what is happening with my designs. I have finished the 106" yak and I am currently building the prototype and 1 that we will be giving away ready to fly at our giant scale event in August. Anyone interested in tickets for this yak can PM me. We have a lot of sponsors helping with this project. They include DL USA (donating engine), TroyBuilt models (donating servos), TNT landing Gear (donating Milled aluminum gear, carbon tubes, wheels and axels) Kirby custom graphics (donating vinyl graphics package). Anyone can purchase raffle tickets for $5.00 each. If you are out of the area and win the plane, you will only have to pay for shipping or make arrangements to pick it up.

I will also be working with Bob at DL USA to start putting out some kits. I am starting to design a new 50cc sport/3D plane. We are also in discousions about marketing my other designs as well as future designs. Bob is a great guy that I have flown with in the past. If we get this deal worked out you should be able to purchase my designs in kit form in the future.

I have made it a policy to not release copies of my drawings because of the potential of a company wanting to take them to market. If there were copies out there beyond my control the people interested in marketing my designs would not take the risk. I hope everyone understands. I started designing because I enjoy the building side of the hobbie a great deal. I did not go into this with intentions of making it a business. That is why the only way I could market planes is if someone else wanted to do it.

I would encourage people to do as John and I have done. Start designing and flying your own stuff. It takes time learning how things work and why things are done a certain way. The longer you do it the more refined your designs will become. It is a great journey. It has taken me 5 years of trial and error to get my designs where they are today. Learning how to design will not happen over night, but it is worth the effort!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Tyrol

I just fired up Autocad 2009 for the first time today and it appears to have the loft function. I am coming from Acad ver 12 so this is going to be a real steep learning curve.

Regards,
Jason.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
SydDythers

I haven't used ACad since the 2007 version I believe so I don't have any experience with its lofting capabilities (2007 had rudimentary lofting built in). But, if you can get your hands on a student copy of Solidworks, I would highly recommend going that route. Totally worth learning it but I know a lot of ACad pros who simply give up because it is so different from SW. Patience with it will pay off in productivity gains down the road.

Brent, you've been a building/designing animal. I haven't done much of anything as I am too tired by the end of the day to do anything but plunk myself in front of the tube. Gotta get back into the swing of things and get the cutsheets for the 100cc Yak 55 made! I concur with your statement that people should try a hand at designing themselves...often the road travelled is more fun than the destination.

Cheers,

J
Old 02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Brent G

Well Said!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 AM
korayozdemir

Hello
Can I give this plan pay a fee
right with
koray
[email protected]
Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Attiqs

Hi

I also started to design an 50ccm Extra 230 in Solid Edge.
This topic inspired me a lot.

Thank all of you very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.