Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tsunami Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
HFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tsunami Build Thread

WOOOOW!!!! VERY nice looking Tsunami, congratulations David. I wish mine look that good.

Saludos
Francisco
Old 11-24-2008, 02:02 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Francisco,

thanks for the excellent comments! Although I'm typically of the school of "less is more", my son seemed to like it so I continued down the trim path not entirely sure of where I would end up. In any case, somewhere in there, there's a wave metaphore. As always, in retrospect I would have gone about things a little differently but nonetheless, she should fly!

I should have some more updates soon.

David.

P.S. I bet the weather down in Leon is just peachy now! November has got to be the worst month up here - gray and cold but no snow yet.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 AM
SpeedBoy

Yeaaaaa !!!! David you make BIG that Tsunami , congratulations for the beauty job [sm=thumbup.gif] .

If some day you could record it on video it would be nice .

Saludos .
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
doxilia

Hey Speedboy,

Thanks! It was a bit of a pain to do such a trim scheme with Monokote (paint would have been better and just smoother) but in the end I'm happy with it. Video... sure when we thaw out and I have a chance to maiden her I'll try and get some video. Meanwhile... build, build...[sm=50_50.gif]

I got the business end taken care of last night. Stuffed a DB 10 oz tank in the nose hoping my battery might also fit but that was wishful thinking. She's feeling a touch tail heavy at the moment but that's just speculation. The plans actually call for an 8 oz tank but if I decide to put the OS 46 in there, 8 oz will burn pretty fast. In any case, I was able to get foam all around the tank. But boy..., you gotta love hatches! The tank plumbing is akin to routing aileron servo wires without pull cords! Next time I might try the cylindrical tank approach with its plumbing connections centered in the circular motor mount opening on the FW - just easier in such a small space.

BTW, that's a Macs muffled 6.5cc TP (still not attached to the wing) on my ST S40. It's supposed to tach around 13.5K on a 10x6 w/ 10% nitro on its standard muffler! (See pics earlier in thread.) I'm hoping to get similar figures on an 11x5 with the TP - we'll see in the spring. I haven't run this engine in over 20 years but it's basically just broken in.

to be continued...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84160.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1079536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37094.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1079537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61235.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1079538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20203.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	1079539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74064.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1079540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55498.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1079541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95021.jpg
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1079542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy84558.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	1079543  

Old 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM
doxilia

Next, moving down the fuse, the radio installation and then the tail feather linkages.

My only concern with the radio installation is that once the radio tray hardwood rails are glued in (the forward one at least), removing the tank becomes virtually impossible. I'm considering using fuse side mounted rails for the front hoping this might help. But...the fuel tank is exactly the same width as the opening in the F2 former which is only 1/8" narrower on either side than the fuse! That's not a lot of meat to get two screws into!

Mmmm... perhaps I should have made that radio tray smaller with the throttle servo in the back...

Hey Frank, did you have any problems with your throttle servo and access to the tank? Did you use an 8 or a 10 oz?

Cheers, David.

Name:	Ig11652.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1079561  
Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
HFrank

Hi David, this is a diagram of my radio layout. I don't have problems with the thottle servo, the way it is mounted allows for easy access to the 10 oz. tank. Hope this helps.

Regards

Name:	Wu61903.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1079966  
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 AM
doxilia

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the sketch. Yea, I kind of envisioned your radio install when you told me it was close to the plans.

So, do you rotate your tank to get it on its side when pulling it out in order to pass the throttle servo rails? In the absence of those, there's plenty of space to pull the tank back. My issue is that I have a servo tray which I thought would make life easy for me - two rails and I'm done. But I didn't think about the tank.

I'll see if I can jerry rig side mounted rails for the front part of the tray. Actually I just had an idea. [sm=50_50.gif]

I don't really need screws in the front if I make two thin (1/8 inch) rails on each side into which the tray slides in from the back. This will hold the tray from vertical movement. In the back, the tray is anchored with a standard rail and two screws... I think I'll try that!

I might need another brace across the fuse as far forward as possible to give it some rigidity. There are no formers here and it tends to flex!

David.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
zubba

Dave,
Nice plane,awsome cover job as well!!!
That thing looks looks like it will poke holes in the sky,should be a screamer.

-Jason
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM
HFrank

Hi David, I just remove the Receiver and slide the fuel tank through this empty space, and that's it.

Saludos
Francisco
Old 12-06-2008, 04:03 AM
doxilia

Jason,

thanks for your post and nice comments. I can't wait to maiden her and yet the snow is just starting to dust about... I hope you start a thread on your Curare 20! I'd enjoy following it.

Frank, amazing the tank fits beside the throttle rails but I'll take your word for it.

Moving back on the bullet, I got the radio installed the other day. In the end the tank wasn't such an issue with my radio tray. I built two bridges which serve as rails for the mid and aft section of the tray. This holds the rudder/elevator servo's firmly. The front part of the tray has some up/down play (although it is snug) which doesn't affect the throttle setting. I decided not to install the fuse side slots in the front as it was going to be complicated to slide the tray in since it would have to move too far aft for insertion. For the time being I simply have a piece of hardwood inserted under pressure tightly holding the front part down on to the battery which sits underneath the tray behind the tank. I'm not sure whether I'll take it out or fix it somehow in a way that allows me to remove gear if necessary. I don't think its actually necessary.

In any case, here are some pics of the install...

Few things remain to complete the tidal wave but I admit I've moved on to another project (for which I have a thread) of a 10 size Deception:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8196707/tm.htm

I'll have to make a list of things to do in order to finish things up. Tail linkages for a starters followed by gluing in the hinges and canopy (I still haven't tinted it...)

David.

Name:	Ay75033.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1084698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40980.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1084699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78185.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	1084700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53451.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1084701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27965.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1084702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nd53704.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1084703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd66453.jpg
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	1084704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj32730.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1084705  

Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 AM
alcarafa

Looking for a psicodelic tsunami ? here ya go !!! looking good so far David, sure it 'll fly ffffffffaaaaasssssssssssssttttttttttt.

Wheather must be frezzing up there by now and some snow must have show up, i 've lived in Montreal in 1981 cold wheather kicked my but out of there by next winter time, NO WAY JOSÈ I would stand another season like those ones,last day I spend in Montreal temp was - 38 C below zero [:@] ouch just to remember that makes me nuts.

Anyway back to your plane, I hope to see the maiden soon !!

Take care.
Rafa
Old 12-06-2008, 04:11 AM
doxilia

Oh, I almost forgot!

Dry, with pipe, and the missing linkages and other little items, she's tipping the scales at almost exactly 5 lbs!

D.

P.S. What am I doing up!? Woke up at 2 am and couldn't sleep so I thought I'd take a few pics. Got to tuck myself back in...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 AM
doxilia

He, he... I guess psychedelic is right Rafa!

After sticking to classic looks as shown below, I decided to go wild! (I hope posting pics of another model doesn't break any cardinal rules [X(])

...80's, yup! That would have been when 15 feet of snow weren't unusal and -40C was normal by the end of January. Nowadays, its practically the tropics up here... I've still got flowers outside that refuse to die or close shop 'til the spring!!

On the other hand, the Mexican Caribbean does sounds pretty good right now... [8D]. Maybe it's time to pay my dad a visit.

Oh, that would be an electrified 25 size (44 inch) HOB T-6 Harvard (Canadian trimmings) loosely representing the efforts of the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association - Dive Recovery Team (CHAA-DRT). I used to be an avid diver during my days down in tierras mas calidas.

David.

Name:	Ge94712.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1084706   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43385.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1084707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43767.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1084708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99278.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1084709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28660.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1084710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31701.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1084711  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:38 PM
alcarafa

Either psychedelic or may be a bit ... psycho it looks nice , really like your AT - 6, I have one miself with the fuerza aerea mexicana scheme looks very nice too ! my grand father used to be an air force pilot and my father also but he was for Mexicana Airlines.

Guess you have to stop taking a "siesta" that's why you get up at 2 a.m. and end up taking pictures at that time [].

Take care.
Rafa
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 PM
doxilia

Hey Rafa,

Glad you like the Harvard. It was my first foray into electric power earlier this year.

Back to the subject in question, I should have some further updates on the Tsunami next week. It's always rather hectic this time of year but there's not much left and I really ought to finish her up before the end of the year!

Those tail linkages, canopy and some lettering and we should be ready for a balancing act!

David.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 AM
alcarafa

Sounds good to me !!! remember keep working on your planes and less " siesta time "

Its good you dont have much snow right now up there.

So hurry up and maiden flight that bird ASP !!!

Take care !!
Rafa
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
doxilia

eh..uh... that was last week. We got 20 cm over the last 30 hours. Freezing rain too. Fallen trees all over the place. Cars driving into each other. The usual.

David.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 PM
ChiefK

David,

Joined this thread late, but I'm glad to finally be here. I'm currently ( still ) building a vintage Tiporare ( original H-K Hobbies version ), but I've also been looking to recreate a Sterling Rimfire ( loved my old original with Webra .40 Blackhead ). Can't seem to find a kit for a reasonable price, or even a copy of the plans, so your thread got me to thinking that the Tsunami might be a great substitute. About the same size, and probably flys about the same way.... Looks real good, and a kit available from J**o at only $66.00! I have an OS .55AX that would love to pull it around the sky. What do you think? Is there any way to squeeze a 10 oz fuel tank into it?

ChiefK

Name:	Ca80802.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1087848  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
doxilia

Hey ChiefK,

glad you found the Tsunami interesting. If you decide to build one, please do post your pictures and or progress here or on another thread.

A 10oz tank is not a problem - it fits. You might even get a 12oz if you wanted (probably round) with the front of the tank bolted to the FW with the fuel tubes peering out inside the engine mount. The rear would protrude about 1/2" through F2. I tried it out of curiosity.

The issue for me really was how to make the tank removable with the radio installation I made. The mounting rails would prevent the tank from being slid out from the rear. As you can see, in the end it wasn't a problem.

The 55AX would definitely make the Tsunami a rocket! Even though I haven't maidened her, it is a very light airframe. My dry AUW is just shy of 5 lbs with pipe and a fair amount of covering on it.

Hope this helps,

David.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
ChiefK

Helps a lot. I believe I'll be ordering a Tsunami in short order. I'll have to learn how to spell that without looking at your thread though. If I get lucky and get hold of the plans for a Rimfire, I'll save them for another day.

Keep up the great threads and extremely valuable information. I'll definitely post new photos of the Tipo and the Tsunami as I finish these projects.

Thanks again,

ChiefK
Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Great news about Juno! I assumed the Tsunami had gone the way of the tides.
I noticed on your plans that Direct Connection R/C was a division of Capstone R/C Suppliers Inc. Capstone was the best hobby shop in Columbus until they went out of business about a year ago. I'm glad someone else is offering the kit. At $66, it's hard to beat.

Tom

Name:	Pm34991.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1088183  
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: doxilia

eh..uh... that was last week. We got 20 cm over the last 30 hours. Freezing rain too. Fallen trees all over the place. Cars driving into each other. The usual.
David.
Hmmmm that's bad weather amigo, but dont worry [sm=50_50.gif] ...install some snow skis and maiden it
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 PM
doxilia

Tom,

sad news. DC made some nice kits. I'm not sure how Juno's kits differ from DC's but the story on Juno's site tells that they bought the rights to all their kits. I believe the kits are now short kits.

ChiefK,

that third and seventh pic in post 85 shows the rear of a DB 10 oz tank installed. Also, a 46 is a somewhat tight squeeze in the nose. My OS 46 FX fits but the YS 45 FR requires more space. I'm not sure how much larger the 55 AX is over the 46 FX. However, it's good that the 55 AX has a carb mounted needle.

Personally, I would think the 55 would be a better candidate for the 60 size Tsunami (BTW, that's Japanese for Tidal Wave - for those unfamiliar) which has yet to be released but a 10-12% blowup of the plans would yield a nice sized 60 version at about 65" span.

David.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:54 PM
ChiefK

David,

I'm not sure what "short kit" implies. The Juno website does say that there is no hardware included, but other than that it sounds like the structure is all there. The OS .55AX is said to fit into the bolt holes of the .46. Don't have a .46 to compare to.. I assume the cylinder is slightly bigger, not sure about the backplate to driveshaft difference. I'm flying the .55 in a Sig Somethin' Extra now, which is a smaller wingspan model than the Tsunami, with no problems. 10% nitro, 11x7 Zinger.... it's pretty quick, but lots of fun to fly. Don't want to make a pattern airplane out of it ( the Tipo will be my pattern plane ), the Tsunami would be just a "show-off" sport/fun flyer.

ChiefK
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
dk823
My Feedback: (1)

The Juno R/C kits are NOT short kits. It is exactly the same kit as when manufactured by DC. Plans=same. Instructions=same. Canopy=same. Etc, etc. Ribs are now laser cut, so to some people this will be an improvement. Juno R/C uses the same jigs and tooling DC used, so the kits are virtually unchanged. In fact, the kits are in some ways better and, oh by the way, cheaper than when they were produced by DC. SOME hardware is included (hinges, wire gear, torque rods, etc.). Some items, like an engine mount, are not included.

Derek Staha
Juno R/C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.