Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
NitroNate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

LOL Don't do that just because I said so.I was just sharing my personel preferance...
BTW,did you fix your clutch spring or are getting the one I mentioned earlier??

Well,I'm outa here!Its a nice sunny day to run my Firestorm!
Have fun!
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
JonKBMW

I ordered the one you linked to - it was like $4 cheaper than the Firestorm replacement. I got that, another glow plug (just in case) and the back plate.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: J_Voisel

So these two are all I need, correct? I would look on the bay but I would rather just pay a little more and order it all at once from Tower.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFXU6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSC7&P=ML

Very nice Jon!
Jon if you want a really good set up you can get this.If you want you could get the alum and just use two pads with the flywheel you have.You will also need shims for the back of shoe to keep from hanging up there cheap like 5 bucks for a bag maybe cheaper.Your roto start you ordered uses the same owb so your set there.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:47 PM
nitro-rob

The broken clutch spring has been very common in the forum, that and the loose servo saver. I luckily went the whole season with the stock clutch before putting the Savage one on.

I am not a fan of pull starts but recently reinstalled it on the storm to put the backplate on a savage - but it will likely go off again because I saw the roto backplate available on the bay for about 5 bucks. I test the compression by hand by turning the flywheel. Does anyone know of a reliable commercial compression tester for nitro engines? I would love to invest in one.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
NitroNate

Hi guys!Me and my brother went to an open parking lot with the 2 Storms and the Baja 5b W/DDM pipe.We were doing wheelies and jump over each other.We were going to play tag,but a rather strange thing happend to my bro's Storm...We just got back so we didn't really look to see what the problem is...But I'm assuming its the servo saver or the whole steering assembly.
We hooked up our trusty GPS,warmed up the engines(of the Baja and my Storm),and let them scream at their hearts content!

The speed results were:
42.6mph for my Storm.(Adding 2mph to make up for the weight of the GPS)

46.8mph for the Baja.

Near the end of the running,I was doing one of those 42mph passes,and hit a patch on the asphault and sent it a foot into the air!With it being only a second airborne,it got at least ten side over side flips!It was spinning so fast,you couldn't even make out the shape![X(]Turns out no part was broken...the suspension shaft just pulled itself out of the shock end.(Stripped the threads)
Its an awsome feeling to know the true speed of my truck.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 PM
nitro-rob

The FS is tough. So is the savage - much more robust than my traxxas stuff although pro traxxas people claim their trucks are indestructible (but I don't believe it). I attached a few photos of my storm with integy rear shocks on it. They are a bit big and may be removed for something more suitable for the storm....at the very least I will try to balance the suspension with something matching on the front.

Nate - were those speeds with the MOAB/gladiator combination? I would be interested in your brothers trucks speed since it has the G3. Have you calculated the RPM your engine was at?

The rustler with the TRX 2.5R is rated at 47+ MPH. I have one and drove it with a weak engine and it felt stronger than the G3...does anybody have some comments on traxxas small block engines compared to the G3?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74177.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1089567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37345.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1089568  
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM
JonKBMW

Oh yeah - question guys - has anyone changed the gearing or more speed? I feel like my motor is in the high revs too much if I am cruising down my asphalt driveway - anyone changed the gearing or put in a 2 speed?

Other question - HPI supplies these suspension bars that are like 3.0, 4.0, etc - what do they do?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
nitro-rob

I ran an inch taller set of tires and lost too much bottom end. If you want a gearing calculator to get an idea of what new ratios will do I can send you the excel file I made for this, just send me a pm with an email address.

ORIGINAL: JonKBMW

Oh yeah - question guys - has anyone changed the gearing or more speed? I feel like my motor is in the high revs too much if I am cruising down my asphalt driveway - anyone changed the gearing or put in a 2 speed?

Other question - HPI supplies these suspension bars that are like 3.0, 4.0, etc - what do they do?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
NitroNate

Rob,what knid of integy shocks are those?My brother has the MS-R9 integy shocks and the are about the same size as the stock shocks...
Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
cgad18

can you guys tell me if the spektrum dx2.0 dsm will work on the savage i dont know if i need a 3 chanel or not.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 PM
nitro-rob

cgad - you will only need a three channel if you have the optional reverse.

Nate- I don't know, they came with a junky roller I bought this summer. They are meant for the t-maxx and have a very large diameter.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
NitroNate

The MSR9 shocks are made for the Stampede/Rustler/and the Bandit...You probably have the MSR4 shocks.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
nitro rc

does anybody drive their firestorm in the winter? I don't remember if i asked this a few pages ago but i am now. When i say winter, i really want to know how it runs in the very cold weather. I know that i would have to start it indoors or something. I ran my tmaxx when i first got it in the winter because that is when i got it (around february). I ran it on the street and when the snow iced over. Now the engine is worn out after only a little over 2 gallons. This has caused me to think breaking in a nitro engine in the winter and running it in the cold will only cause damage to the engine. I want to hear what you guys think.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
new22nitro

Hey nate where did you get that wing on the back?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
NitroNate

I made that wing myself!
Here's my write-up on it: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8238950/tm.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
NitroNate

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

does anybody drive their firestorm in the winter? I don't remember if i asked this a few pages ago but i am now. When i say winter, i really want to know how it runs in the very cold weather. I know that i would have to start it indoors or something. I ran my tmaxx when i first got it in the winter because that is when i got it (around february). I ran it on the street and when the snow iced over. Now the engine is worn out after only a little over 2 gallons. This has caused me to think breaking in a nitro engine in the winter and running it in the cold will only cause damage to the engine. I want to hear what you guys think.
As long as you can get the temps up to 200 degrees and have a rich setting,cold weather shoudn't be an issue.
My first G3.0 engine lasted about three gallons before it started loosing compression.Beings it was my first engine,I was kinda' unexperianced and sloppy with it-The engine overheated at times and I wasn't setting the piston at BDC after each run.If you want an engine to reach at least 5gal,you need to make sure you don't get sloppy with the maintenance of the engine.(Cleaning the air-filter,using after run oil,setting BDC,keeping the temps under control,etc...l)
Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM
nitro-rob

I found a compression tester for nitro engines - its a bit pricey, about 50 bucks but I will certainly buy one before next season to avoid qualitatively assessing the performance of my engine and monitor it more closely. I think this is a must have if you have multiple trucks.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

The MSR9 shocks are made for the Stampede/Rustler/and the Bandit...You probably have the MSR4 shocks.
I think the MSR4 are too stiff but will see next year. I threw them on because I only had three which is useless for a tmaxx and I am selling my traxxas stuff.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

hi i saw this pic of a side pipe.. i like how it looks.. do you know if something like that fit the stock firestorm engine ?

http://image2-5.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-161875.jpg
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
weil0127

That is painted on the body so yes it can.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

No, that's the pipe itself.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJRA3&P=7

ThunderbirdJunkie does not recommend that, because the super-long convoluted stinger detracts from performance, plus it's intended for big blocks.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Nitro RC that is about normall for a trx engine and had nothing to do with cold weather.I have a Ofna Violator with xtm 28 that I use all winter in the cold and snow.I use a old whool sock on the head and have had no issues and have done this the past few years.I do run it in the summer to but it's a blast in the snow.I also use a hair dryer on the motor to get tems up then start and let warm up inside for a few minutes take outside and have fun.I keep my temps between 220 and 260 with no problem.I'm on my fourth gallon for this motor and still runs great.

Rob those are the same Intergy shocks that I had well still have one.I bought them new for my old maxx and they were garbage.I stay away from Intergy parts myself as there low quality IMO.I will find a good shock set up for it over the winter.I'm thinking Losi or Associated for shocks.

Jon There was someone on here that did use a rs4 two speed in the storm,look back about 20 pages on this thread.I have a mt2 and have read up on the two speed.They say the rs4 two speed works good but doesn't work great for offroad.The main thing is keeping it clean from rocks and dirt.I got one coming for the mt2 so I will see how it goes.I might try it in the storm but I need to get the drivetrain to hold up with the bb first.Go with a smaller spur or a bigger cb for some more speed.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
fasty

Im on my 4th gallon of fuel.and this is my first nitro rc and im loving it.it seems to run better in the cold then in the sumer.befor it got cold i started to see a los of comprestion .i never set the piston at BDC after each run.
tell now.im only able to get it to 180 to 190 in this weather but it seams to run well @ that temp.is it ok to run it @ that temp?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

thanks thunderbird
and does anyone have heard about the rear exit tuned pipe ?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
JonKBMW

ORIGINAL: 241 racing

Jon There was someone on here that did use a rs4 two speed in the storm,look back about 20 pages on this thread.I have a mt2 and have read up on the two speed.They say the rs4 two speed works good but doesn't work great for offroad.The main thing is keeping it clean from rocks and dirt.I got one coming for the mt2 so I will see how it goes.I might try it in the storm but I need to get the drivetrain to hold up with the bb first.Go with a smaller spur or a bigger cb for some more speed.

I would be interested to see how the 2 speed would fit and work out. I think it'd be great except the variation in RPM as you hit bumper off road might make it surge in and out of 2nd gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.