Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM
el_tonto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Really? I have the 47T for the Savage and it definitely has a 5mm shaft! Or do you mean the cast slipper hub? I have that too, although I bought it with the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYP4&P=7]MT2 slipper set[/link] - ooooh wait I think that purple tube thing shown in the picture makes it up from 5mm to 6mm. I'm sorry about that! I should actually have looked on my Tornado instead of relying on my memory.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYP5&P=SM]here's the miscellaneous bits[/link] from the full set. Contains a 5x11 bushing, and the proper tube for the slipper hub.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: el_tonto

Does the volcano have brass bushings in the hubs, or bearings?
I believe it is bearings also. Bushings are no longer industry standard, they simply do not last and cause too many problems (undue friction in teh drivetrain, the shafts wobble once tehy wear to a certain point, etc.)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM
el_tonto

I believe the Tornado XP came with bushings (I have the HSP equivalent i.e. VX18 2-speed, purple tray, and it came with bushings) so the earlier Volcanos might have too, hence I asked.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM
grosbc

ORIGINAL: el_tonto

Really? I have the 47T for the Savage and it definitely has a 5mm shaft! Or do you mean the cast slipper hub? I have that too, although I bought it with the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYP4&P=7]MT2 slipper set[/link] - ooooh wait I think that purple tube thing shown in the picture makes it up from 5mm to 6mm. I'm sorry about that! I should actually have looked on my Tornado instead of relying on my memory.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYP5&P=SM]here's the miscellaneous bits[/link] from the full set. Contains a 5x11 bushing, and the proper tube for the slipper hub.

Yeah, the slipper hub is 6mm, but that's OK, since I'll just use an old gear off the multi gear transmission. I do need to get the 11x5x4 bushing. I got to run it today and got the exact same speed as before. 37.7 mph. So essentially with the 49 tooth gear, I can run the same speed as the 44 but it has more low end. The low end is noticible and I was able to pop a wheelie and flip it backwards with a little help from the edge of the grass.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
grosbc

Another question. I seem to have stripped some gears in my steering servo. Can anyone tell me what type of servo I need to get to replace it that would fit the same area? I'd like to find one at the LHS so I can use it this week. Otherwise I'll have to rush shipping.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:39 PM
ferlopez2k6

I crashed my volcano into a big rock at full speed and broke the front bumper. The truck fliped over started to accelarate then turned off. I tried turning the on and off swith on the truck but couldn't get it to turn on again. Anyone have ideas of what the problem is??
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Boxhead from MN

ORIGINAL: grosbc

Another question. I seem to have stripped some gears in my steering servo. Can anyone tell me what type of servo I need to get to replace it that would fit the same area? I'd like to find one at the LHS so I can use it this week. Otherwise I'll have to rush shipping.
grosbc,

I would suggest you take the old servo in to your local hobby shop and get the strongest servo you can afford.

You can spend anywhere from $5 to over $100 for a servo.

Chris

Old 11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
el_tonto

You can take the old servo in. It's a standard sized part for 1/10th and 1/8th cars & trucks. You can go for a high-torque, metal-geared beasty if you like. A slight upgrade from the stocker wouldn't go amiss, but you can't go too ridiculous because the stronger servos will suck more power, and the Redcat receiver mightn't be able to deliver the juice.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
el_tonto

ORIGINAL: ferlopez2k6
I crashed my volcano into a big rock at full speed and broke the front bumper. The truck fliped over started to accelarate then turned off. I tried turning the on and off swith on the truck but couldn't get it to turn on again. Anyone have ideas of what the problem is??
Open up the battery tray and see if the cables are still all plugged in. Look to see if anything has sustained any damage (e.g. the crystal). Your AA batteries might also have popped loose from their carrier - push them back in and tape them in place. Mine used to pop out so I changed to a mini 5-cell rechargeable pack.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
ferlopez2k6

I did all that but all do it again just to make shure.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 AM
el_tonto

See if you can borrow someone else's receiver to check if your servos are working ok.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM
slowell

hi guys i just bought a volcano sv, i haven't even got it yet, but every where i read they say to get a tiger drive for it but i can not find one for the vortex .18 does any one have
a part number for me and maybe some more upgrades i should do! thanxs slowell
Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
RCToysNh

Run it stock first. If you break it then start adding or modifying parts.
If you burn up the trans gears order steel #08013t.
We have them on our site.
We also have the alum suspension and exhaust hop up kits #HU94188

RCToysNH
Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 PM
nyghtryder_9

I got a problem. I just got some parts for my sv and got it back together today and tryed to take it out for a drive when problems began. First i can not get it to idle correctly. I put all the needles to stock but it still was reving way to high. The only way i could get the revs down was to close the idle fully and richen the hsn big time. After that i noticed that the clutch was smoking due to it never disengaging (the clutch bell actually heated up to the point where it was a redish purple color). Would this be caused by a broke clutch spring or could it be something else?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
numskull223

OK, guys if you wanted more power on your SV, I have got the answer. I put a new 2.5R Traxxas motor on with very little mods!!! It is unbelievealbe how fast it is. Check out the pic, its dirty but I just tested and tested perfectcally.!!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
numskull223

Ok Im needing a pull start for my vx .18, its 28 bucks.....not going to pay that, what and where can I get the electric start for one.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Yavez

What size are the pullstart screws for the Volcano sh motor. Need some new ones right away and I am going to see if I can locate some localy before I order some. Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
stout ride

Hi all...I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Volcano EPX Pro a few days ago. I have a newbie question. One of my aluminum shocks was leaking and I decided to replace the oil. I followed the normal procedure (fill to just below the top, remove all bubbles by sliding shaft up and down, and reassemble). Afterward, the shock would barely compress. How much oil should be in these things? Have I missed something simple?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
slowell

does any one else have problems wih redcats web site i can't load any of the pages all the way, so i can't get the parts i want, any body know where i can get a prepainted body for my volcano ,i am not good at painting and i don't want my truck to look like crap!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Bro the pullstart shouldn't be 28 bucks, that's way over charging for it.

Here
[link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pullstart]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pullstart[/link]

Along with everything else you need for your Redcat cars at a decent price.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: slowell

does any one else have problems wih redcats web site i can't load any of the pages all the way, so i can't get the parts i want, any body know where i can get a prepainted body for my volcano ,i am not good at painting and i don't want my truck to look like crap!!!!!!!!

I have some prepainted bodies that were done by a profesional, but they run around $35 to $45 dollars. There not listed on the website, but if you are interested in seeing them I can take some pics and list them for you to look at.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: stout ride

Hi all...I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Volcano EPX Pro a few days ago. I have a newbie question. One of my aluminum shocks was leaking and I decided to replace the oil. I followed the normal procedure (fill to just below the top, remove all bubbles by sliding shaft up and down, and reassemble). Afterward, the shock would barely compress. How much oil should be in these things? Have I missed something simple?
What weight oil did you use? Also if you filled it so the top of the oul looks like convex with the oil making a curve above the rim then you have to much oil. The curve should be concave from the edge of the rim.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 AM
slowell

i would like to look at some pics how much to get it to theif river falls mn 56701
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
stout ride

I filled it so that it was concave, forming a depression just below the rim. The local hobby shop recommended 40 wt, so that is what I used.
On the opposite end of the shock body where the shaft comes in, there is another screw on cap with a hole in it for the shaft. What is the purpose of this cap? I thought about filling the shock as before and tightening the cap (shock body end), then turning it upside down and loosening the other cap (shaft end) to relieve any air while working the shock up and down.
My understanding is that the oil has some dampening effect, but is mainly used to control rebound after the shock has been compressed. Therefore, the shaft should be able to move freely without sticking in the shock body. If I use less oil, that would defeat the purpose since there would be excess air in the form of bubbles in the shock. I might just try some different techniques until I get it right.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 PM
skinnyroot

Hey Guys New to the sport! My first ride is a Volcano SV T2 In one day i managed to break it in and strip the spur gear! Is their another brand i can use [ waiting for parts sucks ] also im not 100% i set the spacing right rookie mistake, the directions suck!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.